Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → General Discussion → Thread

OLD SONGS/NEW SONGS

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3252

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

It’s always going to be a tricky issue, covers, whether to do them and how many in a live set. I enjoy the odd 1 or 2 in a set, so I’m on the side of moderation; depending of course on the length of set. I also like to hear the odd cheeky riff thrown in as a teaser. Last month I was disappointed when Simon McBride did 2 Hendrix covers in 30 mins: not that they were bad, by any means, but one to showcase the talent, and the rest of the time to showcase your material surely. If, and that’s a big if, someone is going to lean on covers, then do something different with it, like Aynsley’s take on “Crazy” or go all out on it, like “Purple Rain”.

When I was at the Newcastle show, and Aynsley was very kindly signing a couple of CD covers and poster for me, I noticed that “Everything I Need” was coming up for 10 years old. Again, I suppose it’s getting a bit cliche these days, but a lot of bands seem to revisit earlier albums and blow some dust off: just a suggestion. I’ve played the album a couple of times since and it’s surprising how “fresh” it still sounds, but a long way naive compared to “Upside Down” and “Equilibrium”.

Mike

Signature

If there’s a Highway to Hell but only a Stairway To Heaven; it speaks volumes about the predicted traffic flow..

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 490

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

A surprising consensus on this. I know Aynsley takes a look at the forum every now and again so no doubt will be interested by the feedback.

I guess the next question is if Purple Rain, Hush, Crosstown traffic ( or any other covers I may not be aware of) depart, which 4 songs should make a re-appearance to replace them?

Signature

Hellhound on my trail

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1838

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

mcraggs27 - 30 November 2010 09:17 AM

It’s always going to be a tricky issue, covers, whether to do them and how many in a live set. I enjoy the odd 1 or 2 in a set, so I’m on the side of moderation; depending of course on the length of set. I also like to hear the odd cheeky riff thrown in as a teaser. Last month I was disappointed when Simon McBride did 2 Hendrix covers in 30 mins: not that they were bad, by any means, but one to showcase the talent, and the rest of the time to showcase your material surely. If, and that’s a big if, someone is going to lean on covers, then do something different with it, like Aynsley’s take on “Crazy” or go all out on it, like “Purple Rain”.

When I was at the Newcastle show, and Aynsley was very kindly signing a couple of CD covers and poster for me, I noticed that “Everything I Need” was coming up for 10 years old. Again, I suppose it’s getting a bit cliche these days, but a lot of bands seem to revisit earlier albums and blow some dust off: just a suggestion. I’ve played the album a couple of times since and it’s surprising how “fresh” it still sounds, but a long way naive compared to “Upside Down” and “Equilibrium”.

Mike

Everything I need has som classics on it and Aynsley does pop up with the odd track every now and then.

BB

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1556

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

Talking of covers, here is Simon McBride’s awesome cover of Power of Soul from the Underworld last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlnPHaxnic4

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1440

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

Red & Blues - 30 November 2010 03:50 PM

A surprising consensus on this. I know Aynsley takes a look at the forum every now and again so no doubt will be interested by the feedback.

I guess the next question is if Purple Rain, Hush, Crosstown traffic ( or any other covers I may not be aware of) depart, which 4 songs should make a re-appearance to replace them?

I was listening to Upside Down today, some good ones on there, particularly in the second part of the disc. I’d happily take a few more new ones to add to Sugar, but I think that’s just a matter of time… smile

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1838

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Greenose - 01 December 2010 05:56 PM
Red & Blues - 30 November 2010 03:50 PM

I was listening to Upside Down today, some good ones on there, particularly in the second part of the disc. I’d happily take a few more new ones to add to Sugar, but I think that’s just a matter of time… smile

Ice I’m upon was on the first half of Upside Down.

BB

RankRank

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2008-03-15

PM

I think we are all familiar enough with Aynsley to know there is no danger of having more covers than original songs in the set so all this is irrelevant.

If the odd cover is enough to catch the attention of and shut up those chatting loudly through the entire performance in front of me(as happened last night - why do they come? - not that i’m bitter!) its worth it.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 648

Joined 2009-02-22

PM

Amy - 04 December 2010 10:54 AM

I think we are all familiar enough with Aynsley to know there is no danger of having more covers than original songs in the set so all this is irrelevant.

If the odd cover is enough to catch the attention of and shut up those chatting loudly through the entire performance in front of me(as happened last night - why do they come? - not that i’m bitter!) its worth it.

Well said Amy - to both points.

I’ve been watching this thread develop with similar views in my head.

My conclusion is pretty much what you said above. Just to expand a little on your second point, my view is that a couple of memorable covers (and what is Purple rain if not that) gives someone unfamiliar with Aynsley’s own songs and seeing him for the first time something of a hook to drag them further into discovering what Aynsley is about. And you can’t beat a good audience participation number to end on.

Ian

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 595

Joined 2009-02-11

PM

Well said Amy & Ian!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1556

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

Here is Feeling Good from Exeter 27/11/10….......enjoy…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL8s4UXveHM

RankRank

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2008-03-15

PM

Icon - 04 December 2010 03:38 PM

My conclusion is pretty much what you said above. Just to expand a little on your second point, my view is that a couple of memorable covers (and what is Purple rain if not that) gives someone unfamiliar with Aynsley’s own songs and seeing him for the first time something of a hook to drag them further into discovering what Aynsley is about. And you can’t beat a good audience participation number to end on.

Ian

Yes sorry about that. Got out of bed the wrong side due to afforementioned philistines!Fortunately it didn’t spoil the gig entirely and the band were on fine form. There was a pretty good turnout considering it was p***ing down with snow. Personally I liked Feeling Good as Aynsley puts his own twist on it with great results. It must be good if Eldo likes it! As for Superstitious I wouldn’t take it that seriously. It seemed to me just a diversion and the band having a bit of fun. I’ve seen the Saw Doctors do that sort of thing many times and it all adds to the mix on a live show.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 648

Joined 2009-02-22

PM

Amy - 05 December 2010 10:55 AM
Icon - 04 December 2010 03:38 PM

Ian

Yes sorry about that. Got out of bed the wrong side due to afforementioned philistines!Fortunately it didn’t spoil the gig entirely and the band were on fine form. There was a pretty good turnout considering it was p***ing down with snow. Personally I liked Feeling Good as Aynsley puts his own twist on it with great results. It must be good if Eldo likes it! As for Superstitious I wouldn’t take it that seriously. It seemed to me just a diversion and the band having a bit of fun. I’ve seen the Saw Doctors do that sort of thing many times and it all adds to the mix on a live show.

No apologies needed Amy. If that was the Flowerpot gig, then it was probably the same philistines (a couple of female “fans”) who proceeded to talk - no shout - to each other all the way through the Oli Brown gig a few weeks back, and were then all over Oli like a rash getting photos and autographs afterwards. We very nearly went to Aynsley’s gig there on Friday but the forecast of heavy snow between us and Derby that night put paid to that. (we would have had a 50 mile trip each way) That’s two gigs lost to the weather this weekend :-(

Ian

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1035

Joined 2009-03-08

PM

A new song from the German tour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UU3nFeEySY
Mighty good cool smile

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-09-16

PM

eldo56 - 28 November 2010 04:39 PM

With talk of new material, I found this today and thought it may be of interest to any who haven’t heard it…....

I,for one,would welcome this back in the set sometime - it’s a killer track….........play loud wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AJsQ0cEhNk

wao what an awesome track

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3252

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Hi Hiscrive & welcome aboard.

Looks like the clip you’ve found is from way back, this particular YouTube link seems to have failed. Any chance you could find an alternate?
Mind, you get no argument here on Aynsley’s back-catalogue, but wait until you hear the new stuff.

Signature

If there’s a Highway to Hell but only a Stairway To Heaven; it speaks volumes about the predicted traffic flow..