Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → General Discussion → Thread

OLD SONGS/NEW SONGS

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1556

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

With talk of new material, I found this today and thought it may be of interest to any who haven’t heard it…....

I,for one,would welcome this back in the set sometime - it’s a killer track….........play loud wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AJsQ0cEhNk

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 686

Joined 2008-10-14

PM

I totally agree 110%. Would love to see this one back on the set list along with Everything I Need and Angel of Mine, maybe. Two hour set coming on I think, sorry I didn’t say that cos it will start BB off on one again.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2009-08-05

PM

Not so bothered about bringing back covers, but I would be interested to see the return of ‘Now You’re Gone’ (as would James) but sadly that’s unlikely to happen anytime soon.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1035

Joined 2009-03-08

PM

Killer.
Would love to hear that song live.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 490

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

I tend to agree with Alex, someone who can write their own high quality material as Aynsley doesn’t need to go back over old covers. Be interesting to hear from him how he chooses which of his older songs to play live, there are some belters in their which don’t get an airing.

Im probably of a minority of one by stating that there are way better songs than Balls of Steel or In the Morning.

I always thought Angel O Mine got parked as Aynsley’s own personal life had moved on………or maybe not

Signature

Hellhound on my trail

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1440

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

I agree with Alex and Ian, it’s a great song with a superb arrangement, and great to watch and hear, but I’m more interested in new orignals. I also agree that Balls of Steel and In The Morning perhaps need a rest from the setlist.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

You do realise Duncan that there are some on the forum for whom the removal of Balls of Steel is akin to removal of any other type of ball you care to mention…..

Signature

Hellhound on my trail

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1556

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

So I guess a Alex, Ian and Greenose are a bit disappointed that two of the three new songs in the set are covers?? (Feeling Good and Superstition) - or is it just the old covers that you don’t want to hear??? I agree that Aynsley has such a strong back catalogue of his own material that he doesn’t really have to do covers, but he obviously likes doing them…......It’s also interesting at this point in his career that he may well be best known for his cover of Purple Rain??? - anyway, the purpose of my original post was to bring Take Me To The River, to the attention of those who perhaps haven’t heard it, from the Rockpalast dvd and live cd - it’s certainly a great performance…..........

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

Red & Blues - 29 November 2010 12:11 PM

You do realise Duncan that there are some on the forum for whom the removal of Balls of Steel is akin to removal of any other type of ball you care to mention…..

Ha, ha, I don’t care. Aynsley has written far better songs since Balls of Steel, which is very derivative of AC/DC. 
I don’t mind Aynsley playing a few new covers as I’ve no doubt there will be some great originals to come which may take a little more time to perfect before they appear in the live show.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

1.  New Originals
2.  Old originals
3.  New Covers
4.  Old Covers

As I haven’t seen Aynsley since March am I assuming that the songs you mention are Nina Simone and Stevie Wonder? If so Im sure they are well sung and well played with an Aynsley twist but almost of no interest to me at all.

As much as I like King King I was very disappointed when they played Superstition as an encore, its such an iconic song and anyone covering it just sounds like they ought to be on the X Factor or at a wedding.

Signature

Hellhound on my trail

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-08-05

PM

eldo56 - 29 November 2010 12:22 PM

So I guess a Alex, Ian and Greenose are a bit disappointed that two of the three new songs in the set are covers?? (Feeling Good and Superstition) - or is it just the old covers that you don’t want to hear??? I agree that Aynsley has such a strong back catalogue of his own material that he doesn’t really have to do covers, but he obviously likes doing them…......It’s also interesting at this point in his career that he may well be best known for his cover of Purple Rain??? - anyway, the purpose of my original post was to bring Take Me To The River, to the attention of those who perhaps haven’t heard it, from the Rockpalast dvd and live cd - it’s certainly a great performance…..........

I don’t mind throwing in the odd cover, but I would argue that for any act a set should never rely on them, always better to have a set almost entirely made up of original material with just the odd one or two to perk an audiences interest. I’d also advocate switching them round every so often to keep them fresh, and that appears to be what Aynsley is doing. That said I don’t mind going back to older covers after some time, but I wouldn’t do it at the expense of original material.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

I also think the popularity of the original makes a huge difference too. If it is an obscure track then a cover is as good as a new track if it’s new to the listener.
John Mayers slow dancing worked……Superstition? You are into show band territory.
My own opinion is that if Aynsley lost Hush and Crosstown traffic then I for one wouldn’t morn as I think he has enough good stuff to fill a set of originals.

Signature

Hellhound on my trail

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-08-05

PM

Red & Blues - 29 November 2010 05:03 PM

I also think the popularity of the original makes a huge difference too. If it is an obscure track then a cover is as good as a new track if it’s new to the listener.
John Mayers slow dancing worked……Superstition? You are into show band territory.

I’d go with that. If I ever have to listen to another cover of Voodoo Child for example I’ll go mad. That’s why I always try and make sure the few covers we do aren’t obvious. The Trower ones maybe are on the verge, but I don’t think he has the recognition you might expect and it’s fairly rare to see people cover them so we let it by.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 595

Joined 2009-02-11

PM

Red & Blues - 29 November 2010 12:38 PM

As much as I like King King I was very disappointed when they played Superstition as an encore, its such an iconic song and anyone covering it just sounds like they ought to be on the X Factor or at a wedding.

Never seen them do Superstition, but they often do I Wish and it goes down very well.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1838

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Only two hours are you trying to short change me!!!

As for covers I agree with the moderation principle, Aynsley has enough superb material of his own, I do like Take Me to the River though and I don’t believe I have ever heard it live ... so yes it would be a treat. i’d also like to hear Nothing at All, as it was a cracking live song.

But yes lets have some more new material, and a whole new Album.  Aynsley did say he was working on a few things when we spoke at the Boom Boom Club, so hopefully something good will be produced next year.

BB

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

Alex - 29 November 2010 04:34 PM
eldo56 - 29 November 2010 12:22 PM

I don’t mind throwing in the odd cover, but I would argue that for any act a set should never rely on them, always better to have a set almost entirely made up of original material with just the odd one or two to perk an audiences interest. I’d also advocate switching them round every so often to keep them fresh, and that appears to be what Aynsley is doing. That said I don’t mind going back to older covers after some time, but I wouldn’t do it at the expense of original material.

I agree with this post of Alex’s the most. A self-respecting established artist like Aynsley should only really play 2 or 3 covers songs in a set, if that many. I was pleased to hear that McBride only played one cover on his recent tour, Philip Sayce only plays two (that’s someone else’s trip is his view). We discussed a while ago if the blues is held back by history (it’s not), but it is held back by cover versions in my view. A band that does not play interesting originals will eventually run out of interested punters at their shows.

So I’d agree the vast majority of Aynsley’s set should be originals, with a few covers that can be alternated depending on the mood and occasion. So by all means I’d be happy to hear Take Me To The River, but at the expense of Purple Rain rather than say With Me Tonight, What’s It All About, Hurricane or indeed a new song. Speaking of which, I imagine Aynsley will be talking time to write new songs once the December dates have ended. smile