Try this out

Signature

Hellhound on my trail

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 592

Joined 2009-02-11

PM

& I’m totally with Ian and R&B.

Still Got The Blues and After Hours got a good airing on Sunday evening.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2008-11-04

PM

Very sad news.  I posted my thoughts at length here:
http://www.english-network.de/gary-moore-remembered

The condensed version:
Never really liked his Blues, for me he was a rocker.  Originally thought he could never make it without a vocalist but he found his own style – and as a guitarist well… one of the best ever.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1556

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

His 2008 album Bad for you Baby is excellent - the title track is a great rockin’ blues track and the slow blues ballad “I’ll love you more than you’ll ever know” is superb, with some fantastic soloing by Gary, with fantastic feel and emotion, which you’ll find hard to beat….......if you haven’t got this album, it really is worth a listen…....

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2008-07-30

PM

“Bad for you Baby” is definately worth to buy and also “Best of the Blues” double cd. But what about “The Essential Montreux” -box?

Signature

Vox audita perit, littera scripta manet

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1556

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

If interested, here’s link to a trailer for a forthcoming Gary Moore documentary

http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3088

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Jet Harris was one of the architects of British rock ‘n’ roll. His death rams home how distant that era now seems. From a jazz background, and then former skiffler, he joined The Shadows after a spell backing Terry Dene, British rock’s first bad boy. In time, Harris became a bad boy too, setting the template for the self-destructive lifestyle that would become a cliché. But his moody image will survive too. His rumbling bass guitar will forever be synonymous with those evocative Shadows’ hits.
The Shadows’ world-changing moment came in August 1960 when they topped the British charts with “Apache”. Everything in British pop was American before The Shadows hit number one. Tommy Steele, Cliff Richard, Marty Wilde – they all looked to Elvis and America for inspiration. Then, from behind Cliff, The Shadows stepped out.
They weren’t cute: their instrumentals launched a thousand schoolboy dreams. Deep Purple’s Roger Glover salivated over their Fender guitars. Harris was an inspiration to session bassist John Baldwin, who played on some of his post Shadows singles – he later became John Paul Jones and joined Led Zeppelin. Many a budding bass player cut their teeth on Jet’s bass lines, especially the wiggly “36-24-36”. And just before wiping the pop slate clean, when recording their first original number in Hamburg, The Beatles chose an instrumental. It was titled “Cry For A Shadow”. Everyone wanted to be the Shadows. Jet Harris was their dark heart.

As the owner of Britain’s first electric bass when others were still using Double bass or broom handles in tea-chests , Jet Harris was The Shadows’ blonde and moody bottom end between October 1958 and April 1962. The name Jet was a school nickname, coming form his prowess at running. They were still The Drifters when Harris joined and the new name, The Shadows, was chosen by him.  “Me and Hank Marvin had Lambrettas and we were out in Ruislip. We were outside the Six Bells pub drinking Guinness – which we probably shouldn’t have been. After an hour of talking about names I said, ‘How about Cliff Richard and the Shadows?’ Hank’s eyes lit up. We’d been through everything: The Tsetse Flies, The Zodiacs, The Zephyrs.”

He was a hard drinker. His first wife, Carol DaCosta, is the only woman that Cliff Richard admits to having had an affair with. Tensions between Shads’ guitarist Bruce Welch and Harris led to his departure for a solo career. Success seemed assured: Harris’s debut 45 “Besame Mucho” hit the charts in May 1962; it still sounds dirty and sexy today. personal favourite is the dramatic cover of “Man With The Golden Arm” theme. “Diamonds”, made with fellow ex-Shad Tony Meehan, hit number one in 1963, knocking off their former band mates. But in September 1963 Harris was injured in a car crash with pop-girl girlfriend Billie Davis. As he was married to DaCosta, the story became tabloid fodder and he never regained the momentum.
He cropped up regularly on the revival circuit, in recent years with Shadows’ tribute band The Rapiers. He was awarded an MBE in 2010.
But he left the band he’d named in 1962 and went solo. “I made up my mind and announced it, and that was it. I had an alcohol problem.”
Describing his approach to music, he said, “I suppose we’ve all got different ways of playing, I give it some welly.” Sadly, he won’t be giving it welly any more.
Terence Harris. Born 6 July 1939. Died 18 March 2011.

Signature

I wonder if T2 will be as big a disappointment as the original Trainspotting was to the railway enthusiast.

Rank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2010-02-23

PM

Mcraggs,

Thanks - a really eloquent obit - I’ve learned something today from you.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Thanks Matt,
Jet was a bit of a hero and a true pioneer of rock and pop so I hope I’ve done him proud. It’s very sad to think he was still touring with Marty Wilde only back in the autumn, and was happy to chat with my father-in-law and sign pics.

Mike

Signature

I wonder if T2 will be as big a disappointment as the original Trainspotting was to the railway enthusiast.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 592

Joined 2009-02-11

PM

Mike,

You sure have done him proud. Great read, even if it’s a sad time.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1838

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Yeah Good review Mike.

You still hear Appache played from time to time even these days.

BB

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

We missed the 50th Anniversary of Apache/Quatermasster’s Stores chart entry back in July last year. Currently we’re between FBI/Midnight and Frightened City/Back Home (due in May).

Out of interest, wonder if Aynsley is ever tempted on the big red Strat…...

Mike

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Heard, belatedly, over the week-end of the recent passing of Ralph Wareing. Ralph died peacefully in hospital after illness on July 9th.

This may not be a name familiar to a lot of posters on the Forum, but he’s well know to those of us in the N.Yorks/Cleveland/Durham area and probably to Aynsley as a founder and inspiration behind Guisborough’s R’n'B Club. Ralph was a staunch supporter of live music, especially R’n'B and in the 10 years he and Kath have run the club they have not only show-cased new talent, encouraged local bands but have attracted some of the biggest names in the country and from overseas. They also run a weekly, local, all-comers “jam session” in Guisborough.

The club will continue in Ralph’s spirit: the next gig, on Saturday 23rd featuring Sherman Robertson Band and The Mentulls will go ahead as planned but as a fitting tribute.

I’m sure I speak for all of us on here; deepest condolences to Ralph’s partner Kath and to all family and friends. You’ve given us all a tremendous legacy.

Mike

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 686

Joined 2008-10-14

PM

As you said Mike’ not a name that is familiar to others outside the north east, but clearly an inspiration to many in the music world in your part of the world. May I add my sincere condolences to Ralph’s family. I never new Ralph but I am sure his legacy in the music world will be surely missed. 

Paul

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Cheers Paul. I haven’t really been going to Guisborough that long and was only just getting to know Ralph and Kath but it was immediately apparent how much they love their music and how much they put into the club. This year alone, they’ve attracted Ian Parker, Chantel McGregor, Oli Brown, VATA, King King, Nine Below Zero, Connie Lush, Kyla Brock with Nimmo Brothers, Jon Amor to come. No mean feat when you see the venue - Albert Hall it ain’t.

It will be strange not seeing Ralph’s familiar trilby in the middle of the dancing when the bands get going, but he’ll be there in spirit and Saturday should be a good send off; The Mentulls are a young band, I’ve mentioned a couple of times, that Guisborough have been nurturing and what can you say about Sherman Robertson…

Mike

Signature