Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → General Discussion → Thread

R.I.P.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 789

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

mcraggs27 - 22 March 2019 08:25 AM

Even sadder when it’s that close to home…..

Johnnie Dickinson
It never got closer to home then on Friday night, when the sad news of Johnnies passing spread over the internet and to every corner of the North East. I was in the Cluny when I was told, Jonnnie’s died; the words that passed people’s lips before anything else.
You might not know the name, but in the North East he was the God Father of blues slide .
Severe illness (9 mths in the ICU) dogged his later years, but he was still revered in the highest of guitar circles.
Good night Johnnie x

Black Jack Davy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka5tw3T1AKQ

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4506

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

A very sad week here in the N.East. God’s calling in for a big jam session. Condolences to all…

Signature

Let’s make some noise for Locksmiths - the original “key-workers”.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Scott Walker (Jan 1943 - March 2019) R.I.P.

News is just breaking of the death of one of the great voices of contemporary music, The Walker Brothers star Scott Walker has died aged 76, his record label said.
The US pop trio enjoyed hits like The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore and Make It Easy On Yourself in the 1960s. The band moved to Britain and at one point their fame in their adopted country rivalled that of The Beatles.
Record label 4AD said: “It is with great sadness that we announce the death of Scott Walker.
“Scott was 76 years old and is survived by his daughter, Lee, his granddaughter, Emmi-Lee, and his partner, Beverly.
“For half a century, the genius of the man born Noel Scott Engel has enriched the lives of thousands, first as one third of The Walker Brothers, and later as a solo artist, producer and composer of uncompromising originality.
“Scott Walker has been a unique and challenging titan at the forefront of British music, audacious and questioning, he has produced works that dare to explore human vulnerability and the godless darkness encircling it.”
Walker, who was born in the US, began his career as a session bassist, changing his name when he joined The Walker Brothers.
He later shunned the limelight and released solo albums including Scott, Scott 2, Scott 3 and Scott 4.
In the 1970s The Walker Brothers reunited for their last album together.
In 2017, Scott’s music was celebrated with a Proms concert at London’s Royal Albert Hall.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Paul Martin Raymond (16 November 1945 – 13 April 2019) R.I.P.

Raymond began his musical career in January 1964 as a jazz musician. He later joined Plastic Penny as their keyboardist/vocalist, and replaced Christine McVie (nee: Perfect) in British blues band Chicken Shack when she left for a solo career;(later she joined Fleetwood Mac). Raymond then joined Savoy Brown as their keyboardist/guitarist. He subsequently recorded with the former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Danny Kirwan.

He was recruited by UFO in 1976 to replace their first keyboardist, Danny Peyronel He wrote songs for UFO but because of a previous publishing deal was not credited for these songs until recent years. When Michael Schenker left UFO, he joined Schenker’s own band, MSG, in 1981 and later joined UFO bassist Pete Way’s own band, Waysted, in 1983. Raymond worked with Phil Mogg, Andy Parker, along with Schenker and Way, in UFO from 1976–1981, 1984–1986, 1993–1998 and 2003–2019.

Raymond died from a heart attack on 13 April 2019; he was 73 years old. At the time of his death, UFO had just complete the UK leg of what they refer to as their final world tour, dubbed “Last Orders: 50th Anniversary” before founder and vocalist Phil Mogg steps down.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Frederick “Freddie Starr” Leslie Fowell - Jan 1943 - May 2019 R.I.P.

One for those of of a “certain age”; sad to hear this morning that mad-cap commedian Freddie Starr has passed. His career started off as lead singer in an early Mersey band, The Midniters, however, using hiis music background, and Elvie-like singing voice as a foil, a career shift into musical commmedy as well as a talent for impressions saw his career sky-rocket through the 1970s & early 1980s.

The “peak” of his career was a mid 1980s apocryphal headline “Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster” which in later years as his career dwindled i’d imagine he’s have wished he could have copyrighted… Starr suffered a major heart attack in 2010 and this also forced him to withdraw from I’m A Celebrity… shortly after; it can only be specuated this contribuuted to his death at his home in Spain where he retired to.

The pure anarchy of his shows, especially the live ones, made Starr a bit of a “marmite” character and probably these days he’d be far too “pc” but all I can say is that I remember seeing him in the 1980s at Sunderland Empire and almost needing oxygen fromm laughing so hard for so long.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

R.I.P. Malcolm “Dr.John” Rebennack   1942 - 2019

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame singer Dr John has died aged 77 after suffering a heart attack.The New Orleans-born musician was a six-time Grammy winner, died on Thursday.
A statement said: “Towards the break of day June 6, iconic music legend Malcolm John Rebennack, Jr, known as Dr John, passed away of a heart attack.

Dr John, born in 1940, was known for music combining blues, pop, jazz, boogie woogie and rock and roll. His career started in the late 1950s when he worked as a session musician in New Orleans, before gaining recognition as a solo performer with the release of his album Gris-Gris in 1968. Dr John’s live shows were known for their carnival atmosphere and the singer would scatter glitter on the audience while wearing costumes of bright colours, feathers and plumes. He was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 2011 by the singer John Legend.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

24 years ago today….. For Rory; R.I.P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNKoPnxxbjQ

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Edward Joseph Mahoney aka Eddie Money - 1949 - 2019 R.I.P.

Eddie Money, born Edward Joseph Mahoney in Brooklyn, New York in 1949, released his first, self-titled album in 1977. It sold more than two million copies and spawned hits such as Baby Hold On.

His parents were Dorothy Elizabeth (née Keller), a homemaker, and Daniel Patrick Mahoney, a police officer. He grew up in Levittown, New York, on Long Island, but also spent some teenage years in Woodhaven, Queens. Money was a street singer since the age of 11.  As a teenager, he played in rock bands, in part to get dates from cheerleaders. He was thrown out of one high school for forging a report card. In 1967, he graduated from Island Trees High School. At the age of 18, he tried to follow in the footsteps of his police officer grandfather, father, and brother as a New York City Police Department trainee.[8] However, after working as a clerk and typist, he left in 1968 to pursue a career in music, as the police did not allow him to grow his hair long. “I couldn’t see myself in a police uniform for 20 years of my life, with short hair,” he later said.[8] His bandmates also fired him because they did not want a police officer in the group. His father was not happy with the decision to play music and tore the Jimi Hendrix posters from his wall. In 1968, Money moved to Berkeley, California. There, he studied with Judy Davis and took on the stage name Eddie Money, dropping a few letters from his name and sarcastically referencing the fact that he was always broke. He supported himself by selling bell-bottoms.

Money released 11 albums and sold nearly 30 million records in a career that spanned four decades. He took advantage of the growth of MTV in the early 80s and after a dip in sales returned with the highly successful Can’t Hold Back album in 1986. Take Me Home Tonight, a duet with Ronnie Spector from that album, was his biggest singles chart success, reaching number four in the US.

He also starred in Real Money, a reality series that debuted last year. It was on a clip for the show last month that he revealed he had stage four oesophageal cancer.
The Money family released a statement saying: “It is with heavy hearts that we say goodbye to our loving husband and father. It’s so hard to imagine our world without him. However he will live on forever through his music.”

Money revealed his cancer diagnosis on 24 August in a clip for the second series of Real Money, on cable and satellite network AXS TV.
“I thought I was just going in to get a check-up, and he told me I got cancer,” he says in the clip. “Am I gonna live a long time? Who knows, it’s in God’s hands. But you know what? I’ll take every day I can get. Every day above ground is a good day.”
Money is survived by his wife and five children.

Richard Theodore Otcasek (March 23, 1944 – September 15, 2019), known as Ric Ocasek R.I.P

Ric Ocasek was an American singer, songwriter, musician, record producer and painter. He was best known as the lead vocalist, rhythm guitarist and songwriter for the rock band The Cars. In 2018, Ocasek was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the Cars.That same year, he revealed a number of his paintings in a national tour which included an exhibit at the Wentworth Galleries in Tysons Corner, Virginia.

He was pronounced dead at home in Manhattan after family called to report he was unresponsive, New York Police Department said. The cause of death remains unconfirmed. The Cars helped kick-start the new wave movement. The band was formed in Boston in the mid-1970s by Ocasek and band-mate Benjamin Orr after they met at high school. Merging guitar rock with synthesizer-based pop, their early hits included Just What I Needed, My Best Friend’s Girl and Good Times Roll.

Their 1984 ballad Drive was used as background music for footage of the Ethiopian famine, and its re-release as a single after Live Aid helped raise money for the cause. After the band broke up in the late 1980s, Ocasek embarked on a solo career as well as working as a producer for artists including Weezer, Bad Religion and No Doubt. Orr died in 2000 from pancreatic cancer.

The remaining members of The Cars re-formed in 2011 to release a final album and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018. In 1987, Ocasek told The New York Times: “I’m happy that the pop songs have a bit of a twist. When I’m writing, I never know how it’s going to come out.” He said he read a lot of poetry, which inspired his “twisted” song-writing.

Ocasek is survived by his wife, the model Paulina Porizkova, and six sons.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Yonrico Scott (October 6, 1955 – September 20, 2019)  R.I.P.

Just learned last night the sad news that percussionist Yonrico Scott has passed. He was a long-time member of the Grammy winning The Derek Trucks Band, became a bandleader of his own ensemble, the Yonrico Scott Band, and later worked with the Royal Southern Brotherhood, with Cyril Neville and also contributed to Laurence Jones’ breakthrough album Temptation; Susan Tedeschi’s Wait For Me and Gov’t Mule’s Live; With A Little Help From Our Friends.

No cause of death has been attributed.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Barrie Masters, the lead singer of the band Eddie and the Hot Rods, has died aged 63.

Formed in Canvey Island, Essex in 1975, they were part of the pub rock scene which included Dr Feelgood and Ian Dury’s band Kilburn and the High Roads. The band were best known for their top 10 hit in 1977, Do Anything You Wanna Do. They also had top 40 hits with Teenage Depression and Quit This Town.

Masters was the original singer of the band, and was their only constant member. The band kicked off their career with residencies in London clubs alongside The 101ers before being signed to Island Records in the mid-1970s.
Over the years they became known for their punk style and were often considered as one of the founding groups of the genre with their loud, frenetic live sets.

Band guitarist Richard Holgarth described him as the “perfect frontman” and a “composite of a rock and roller”.
“Someone with a voice that could strip paint. Someone who had a capacity for having a great time that was unmatched and just looked the part completely,” he said.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Peter Edward “Ginger” Baker 1939 - 2019 R.I.P.

Big, big loss in the worlds of Jazz, Blues, Rock; following serious downturn in health and hospitalised since 25th Sept.
Such a long and varied career, I’m not even going to start an obit as it would take too many pages, so read the following from the BBC…
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49827436

I did see Ginger play, once, his, brief occcupancy of Hawkwind’s drum-stool. Not his happiest employ, but ever the professional, he gave it the beans… Just don’t call him a “Rock” drummer….

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Vaughn Oliver - 1957 - 2019 R.I.P.

Not a musician (that I’m aware of), so not a name that’ll be readily familiar to people looking in. However, Vaughn was a gifted & talented artist who’s work was the identifiable mainstay of punk/goth label 4AD for many years.

My “link” with Vaughn is that I work at his old school in Ferryhill: he’d left by the time I started there but for a long time, one of the Art rooms was decorated by a frieze/fresco/mural he’d done as a student before going on to Newcastle.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Neil James Innes R.I.P.  (9th Dec 1944 - 29th Dec 2019)

Sad news also over the Christmas period that we lost the “seventh” Python, Neil Innes to sudden illness.

The Essex-born star, who was raised in Germany, performed piano, guitar and vocals in The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band - later renamed The Bonzo Dog Band - who had a hit in 1968 with I’m the Urban Spaceman. The track was co-produced by Apollo C. Vermouth - a pseudonym for Sir Paul McCartney.
The comic songwriter penned the track Death Cab For Cutie, which was used in The Beatles’ 1967 film Magical Mystery Tour, and in the 1990s he was given a writing credit on the Oasis track Whatever, after it was found Noel Gallagher had borrowed portions of his song How Sweet To Be An Idiot.

In the 1970s, Innes worked closely with British comedy collective Monty Python, and Palin recalled how during their live shows he would “bring the house down” performing the track with a half cut out plastic duck on his head.
Innes contributed sketches and songs like Knights of the Round Table and Brave Sir Robin, as well as appearing in their classic films The Holy Grail and Life of Brian. He wrote and performed sketches for their final TV series in 1974 after Cleese temporarily left, and was one of only two non-Pythons to be credited as a writer, alongside The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy author Douglas Adams.

After the comedy group came to an end, Innes joined fellow Python Eric Idle on a new series, Rutland Weekend Television, which gave birth to their spoof band The Rutles - a pastiche of The Beatles. In the band Innes played Ron Nasty, a character loosely-based on John Lennon. According to Innes’s wife Yvonne, he toured with the Fab Four tribute act The Bootleg Beatles last year.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Neil Peart (1952 - 2020) R.I.P.

Sad news emerged over the week-end about the passing of Neil Peart, drummer and lyricist for Canadian rock band Rush, from brain cancer aged 67.
The musician, considered one of rock’s greatest ever drummers, died on Tuesday in Santa Monica, California.
Rush, the band he played with for 45 years, confirmed his death in a statement posted to Twitter. The statement said Peart, their “soul brother”, had been suffering from glioblastoma - a type of brain cancer - for three-and-a-half years.
“It is with broken hearts and the deepest sadness that we must share the terrible news that on Tuesday our friend, soul brother and band mate of over 45 years, Neil, has lost his incredibly brave three-and-a-half-year battle with brain cancer,” the statement says.

He joined Rush in 1974, drawing influences from hard rock, jazz and heavy metal in a career that spanned four decades. Peart retired from Rush in 2015 after the band’s final tour, saying the time had come to take himself “out of the game”. The group, which also featured singer-bassist Geddy Lee and guitarist Alex Lifeson, recorded hits including The Spirit Of Radio and Tom Sawyer. The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2013

.A spokesperson for the Peart family also confirmed the drummer’s death to US music magazine, Rolling Stone.
Placed at number four in Rolling Stone’s list of all-time greatest drummers, Peart was well-known for his technical proficiency and animated live performances.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2012-04-05

PM

mcraggs27 - 07 October 2019 07:27 AM

Peter Edward “Ginger” Baker 1939 - 2019 R.I.P.

Big, big loss in the worlds of Jazz, Blues, Rock; following serious downturn in health and hospitalised since 25th Sept.
Such a long and varied career, I’m not even going to start an obit as it would take too many pages, so read the following from the BBC…
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49827436

I did see Ginger play, once, his, brief occcupancy of Hawkwind’s drum-stool. Not his happiest employ, but ever the professional, he gave it the beans… Just don’t call him a “Rock” drummer….

His son has a band that plays Cream and other blues songs.  I think he lives here in IN because he plays a LOT here.  I believe he’s another one that will be doing a big tour this spring.

Signature

GO RAIDERS!  FIGHT ON TROJANS!  “JUST WIN BABY”