Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → General Discussion → Thread

R.I.P.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 707

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

mcraggs27 - 22 March 2019 08:25 AM

Even sadder when it’s that close to home…..

Johnnie Dickinson
It never got closer to home then on Friday night, when the sad news of Johnnies passing spread over the internet and to every corner of the North East. I was in the Cluny when I was told, Jonnnie’s died; the words that passed people’s lips before anything else.
You might not know the name, but in the North East he was the God Father of blues slide .
Severe illness (9 mths in the ICU) dogged his later years, but he was still revered in the highest of guitar circles.
Good night Johnnie x

Black Jack Davy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka5tw3T1AKQ

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3994

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

A very sad week here in the N.East. God’s calling in for a big jam session. Condolences to all…

Signature

First rule of Palindrome club is si bulc emordnilaP fo elur tsirF

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Scott Walker (Jan 1943 - March 2019) R.I.P.

News is just breaking of the death of one of the great voices of contemporary music, The Walker Brothers star Scott Walker has died aged 76, his record label said.
The US pop trio enjoyed hits like The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore and Make It Easy On Yourself in the 1960s. The band moved to Britain and at one point their fame in their adopted country rivalled that of The Beatles.
Record label 4AD said: “It is with great sadness that we announce the death of Scott Walker.
“Scott was 76 years old and is survived by his daughter, Lee, his granddaughter, Emmi-Lee, and his partner, Beverly.
“For half a century, the genius of the man born Noel Scott Engel has enriched the lives of thousands, first as one third of The Walker Brothers, and later as a solo artist, producer and composer of uncompromising originality.
“Scott Walker has been a unique and challenging titan at the forefront of British music, audacious and questioning, he has produced works that dare to explore human vulnerability and the godless darkness encircling it.”
Walker, who was born in the US, began his career as a session bassist, changing his name when he joined The Walker Brothers.
He later shunned the limelight and released solo albums including Scott, Scott 2, Scott 3 and Scott 4.
In the 1970s The Walker Brothers reunited for their last album together.
In 2017, Scott’s music was celebrated with a Proms concert at London’s Royal Albert Hall.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Paul Martin Raymond (16 November 1945 – 13 April 2019) R.I.P.

Raymond began his musical career in January 1964 as a jazz musician. He later joined Plastic Penny as their keyboardist/vocalist, and replaced Christine McVie (nee: Perfect) in British blues band Chicken Shack when she left for a solo career;(later she joined Fleetwood Mac). Raymond then joined Savoy Brown as their keyboardist/guitarist. He subsequently recorded with the former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Danny Kirwan.

He was recruited by UFO in 1976 to replace their first keyboardist, Danny Peyronel He wrote songs for UFO but because of a previous publishing deal was not credited for these songs until recent years. When Michael Schenker left UFO, he joined Schenker’s own band, MSG, in 1981 and later joined UFO bassist Pete Way’s own band, Waysted, in 1983. Raymond worked with Phil Mogg, Andy Parker, along with Schenker and Way, in UFO from 1976–1981, 1984–1986, 1993–1998 and 2003–2019.

Raymond died from a heart attack on 13 April 2019; he was 73 years old. At the time of his death, UFO had just complete the UK leg of what they refer to as their final world tour, dubbed “Last Orders: 50th Anniversary” before founder and vocalist Phil Mogg steps down.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Frederick “Freddie Starr” Leslie Fowell - Jan 1943 - May 2019 R.I.P.

One for those of of a “certain age”; sad to hear this morning that mad-cap commedian Freddie Starr has passed. His career started off as lead singer in an early Mersey band, The Midniters, however, using hiis music background, and Elvie-like singing voice as a foil, a career shift into musical commmedy as well as a talent for impressions saw his career sky-rocket through the 1970s & early 1980s.

The “peak” of his career was a mid 1980s apocryphal headline “Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster” which in later years as his career dwindled i’d imagine he’s have wished he could have copyrighted… Starr suffered a major heart attack in 2010 and this also forced him to withdraw from I’m A Celebrity… shortly after; it can only be specuated this contribuuted to his death at his home in Spain where he retired to.

The pure anarchy of his shows, especially the live ones, made Starr a bit of a “marmite” character and probably these days he’d be far too “pc” but all I can say is that I remember seeing him in the 1980s at Sunderland Empire and almost needing oxygen fromm laughing so hard for so long.

Signature