Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → General Discussion → Thread

R.I.P.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3952

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

R.I.P. Marty Balin

On September 27, 2018, Jefferson Airplane singer and Jefferson Starship songwriter Marty Balin was found dead. The musician was 76 years old. No official cause of death was released.

Balin co-wrote five songs on Jefferson Airplane’s Surrealistic Pillow, including “It’s No Secret,” “Comin’ Back To Me,” and “Share a Little Joke.” He was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1996 with the rest of Jefferson Airplane.

“Marty and I shared the deepest of love - he often called it Nirvana - and it was,” Balin’s wife Susan said. “But really, we were all touched by his love. His presence will be within my entire being forever.”

Signature

Help!  I am being held hostage; but only 60 characters to sa

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Just heard, we’ve lost Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee at the age of 95. The feisty writer, editor and publisher was responsible for such iconic characters as Spider-Man, the X-Men, Thor, Iron Man, Black Panther and the Fantastic Four — ‘nuff said.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

R.I.P. Peter Campbell McNeish - Pete Shelley 1955 - 2018

News just coming out about the of The Buzzcocks’ frontman and co-founder, age 63, following a heart attack at his home in Tallin, Estonia.

Shelley formed The Buzzcocks in 1975 along with Howard DeVoto in Bolton in the 1970s and were regarded as more polished, but musically no less influential, than the Sex Pistols. The band have tweeted saying Shelley was “one of the UK’s most influential and prolific songwriters and co-founder of the seminal original punk band Buzzcocks”.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 703

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

RIP Ray Sawyer Doctor Hook and The Medicine Show

Ray Sawyer, musician and singer, born 1 February 1937; died 28 December 2018

Ray was the cowboy hat wearing, one eyed percussion and backing vocalist in Doctor Hook (Eye Patch / Captain Hook / Doctor Hook, gedddit)
Better known for some beautiful songs such as Sylvia’s Mother but they had a wicked sense of humour and had a few ‘well past the knuckle’ songs in their repertoire.
I remember an Old Grey Whistle Test Special, where they came on the stage dressed as the bay City Rollers, by mistake, they joked. and then got changed behind a back lit screen on stage. Well, if you can’t have fun, why do it.

So if you ever wanted to see doctor Hook, dressed as the Bay City Rollers singing like Chipmunks, here you are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK93vJ9oF9A

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

tilerman - 02 January 2019 10:30 PM

RIP Ray Sawyer Doctor Hook and The Medicine Show

Ray Sawyer, musician and singer, born 1 February 1937; died 28 December 2018

Ray was the cowboy hat wearing, one eyed percussion and backing vocalist in Doctor Hook (Eye Patch / Captain Hook / Doctor Hook, gedddit)
Better known for some beautiful songs such as Sylvia’s Mother but they had a wicked sense of humour and had a few ‘well past the knuckle’ songs in their repertoire.
I remember an Old Grey Whistle Test Special, where they came on the stage dressed as the bay City Rollers, by mistake, they joked. and then got changed behind a back lit screen on stage. Well, if you can’t have fun, why do it.

So if you ever wanted to see doctor Hook, dressed as the Bay City Rollers singing like Chipmunks, here you are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK93vJ9oF9A

Always on of my favourite of Hook’s lesser known hits - Ballad of Lucy Jordan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFGQyYfhLsc

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

R.I.P. Dean Ford (Thomas McAleese) - 1946 - 2018

The former vocalist with Marmalade during their peak, known for the chart topping cover of The Beatles’ Oh-Bla-Dee and their own Worldwide hit Reflections of My Life in 1969.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTeI65yrhGw

After leaving Marmalade in the mid 1970s, Ford did a solo album produced by Alan Parsons with whom he worked with on and off before unsuccessfully relocating to the US where he dropped out of music for a while due to alcohol problems. In the early 2000s, Ford was back working with Scottish contemporaries, in a re-vamped Sensational Alex Harvey Band and the tribute album to Frankie Miller and working with former Badfinger guitarist Joe Tansin as recently as 2012.

With the support of crowdfunding, Ford completed production of a second solo album of original material entitled Feel My Heartbeat. in 2017. He released an album called My Scottish Heart, two months before his demise

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Edward “Ted” McKenna - 1950 - 2019 R.I.P.

Heard over the week-end of the death of drummmer Ted McKenna due to haemmorage while undergoing a hernia operation.

Over a 50 year career, Ted played in a number of key bands; Rare Breed (1969), Dream Police (1970), Tear Gas (1971), The Sensational Alex Harvey Band (1972-77), Rory Gallagher (1978-81), Greg Lake, Gary Moore (1981-82), The Michael Schenker Group (1982-84), Womack & Womack (1988), McKenna’s Gold (1988), Ian Gillan (1990), The Sensational Party Boys (1992-93), Gwyn Ashton (2004), The Paul Rose Band (2006-11), The Rhumboogie Orchestra (2009), Band of Friends (2011 - Present), Michael Schenker Fest (2016 - Present) as well as occassioonal session work, though in llater life he lectured in Applied Arts at North Glasgow College from 1996–2011

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Peter Halsten Thorkelson, better known as Peter Tork, 1942 -2019 R.I.P.

Peter Tork was best known as the keyboardist and bass guitarist of the Monkees, recommended for the job by Stephen Stills who was turned down!?!

Post-Monkees, after a stalled solo career;Tork’s record and movie production entity, the Breakthrough Influence Company (BRINCO), also failed to launch, despite such talent as future Little Feat guitarist Lowell George. However, from the mid-1980s onwards Tork took part in several Monkees reunions.

Tork died on February 21, 2019, at his home in Mansfield, Connecticut, from complications of adenoid cystic carcinoma with which he had a 10 year battle.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Clifford Leon “Andy” Anderson - 1951 - 2019 R.I.P.

Passed yesterday, prolific session drummer Andy Anderson, shortly after being diagnosed with terminal cancer.

His C.V. included a short stint with The Cure; Japanese Whispers, The Top, and Concert albums as well as the Blue Sunshine album with The Glove spin-off band. Around this time he also did a brief stint with Hawkwind though did not record with them though he did Nik Turner’s Sphynx Xitintoday album in 1978. He played with Steve Hillage on two albums, Live Herald and Open.

Anderson is also credited on recordings by many other bands and artists, including (in order of the releases): Saviours (as a group member), Robin Scott, Mother Gong, M, Jeffrey Lee Pierce, Steve Vengeance, Two-Bit Thief, The Saints, Backbeats, Hoagy Carmichael, Martha Munizzi, Group 1 Crew, The Gun Club, Spirits Burning & Clearlight, and Beat The System (as a producer). He also collaborated with these artists and bands; Brilliant, The Edgar Broughton Band, The Burning Sensations, Circus Hazzard, Edwyn Collins, The Cureheads, Hooky Dallion, Jason Donovan, Peter Gabriel, Mick Hawksworth and Friends, Isaac Hayes, Iggy Pop, The Last Poets, Lol Tolhurst’s Levinhurst, Glenn Matlock, Steve New, Nik Turner’s Inner City Unit, Mike Oldfield, David Michael Phillips, Jimmy Pursey’s Sham 69, Jimmy Somerville, Midge Ure, Jenn Vix, Harry Williamson and Friends, Youth, and Zeke Manyika’s Dr. Love.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

R.I.P André George Previn, KBE (born Andreas Ludwig Priwin; April 6, 1929 – February 28, 2019)

Not often we go high-brow here, but sad to hear of Andre Previn’s passing He was a German-American pianist, conductor, and composer. Previn won four Academy Awards for his film work and ten Grammy Awards for his recordings (and one more for his Lifetime Achievement).

In 1938, his Jewish family left Berlin and via Paris sailed to New York on October 20 and from there to Los Angeles on November 26.[8][9] His father’s second cousin Charles Previn, was music director for Universal. André grew up in Los Angeles and became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1943. At Previn’s 1946 graduation from Beverly Hills High School he played a musical duet with Richard M. Sherman; Previn played the piano, accompanying Sherman (who played flute). Coincidentally, both composers won 1964 Oscars for different films, both winning in musical categories.

Previn was nominated for 11 Academy Awards. He won four times, in 1958, 1959, 1963 and 1964. He is one of few composers to have accomplished the feat of winning back-to-back Oscars, and one of only two to have done so on two occasions (the other being Alfred Newman). Previn was the only person in the history of the Academy Awards to receive three nominations in one year (1961). In 1970 he was nominated for a Tony Award as part of Coco’s nomination for Best Musical. In 1977 he became an Honorary Member of the Royal Academy of Music. The 1977 television show Previn and the Pittsburgh was nominated for three Emmy awards.

Previn was appointed an honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1996.(Not being a citizen of a Commonwealth realm, he was permitted to use the post-nominal letters KBE but was not called “Sir André”.) Previn received the Kennedy Center Honors in 1998 in recognition of his contributions to classical music and opera in the United States. In 2005 he was awarded the international Glenn Gould Prize and in 2008 won Gramophone magazine’s Lifetime Achievement Award for his work in classical, film, and jazz music. In 2010, the Recording Academy honoured Previn with a Lifetime Achievement Grammy.

However, for all the plaudits, there’s only one thing that he’ll be best remembered for :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMPEUcVyJsc

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

mcraggs27 - 01 March 2019 09:32 AM

R.I.P André George Previn, KBE (born Andreas Ludwig Priwin; April 6, 1929 – February 28, 2019)

Not often we go high-brow here, but sad to hear of Andre Previn’s passing He was a German-American pianist, conductor, and composer. Previn won four Academy Awards for his film work and ten Grammy Awards for his recordings (and one more for his Lifetime Achievement).

In 1938, his Jewish family left Berlin and via Paris sailed to New York on October 20 and from there to Los Angeles on November 26.[8][9] His father’s second cousin Charles Previn, was music director for Universal. André grew up in Los Angeles and became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1943. At Previn’s 1946 graduation from Beverly Hills High School he played a musical duet with Richard M. Sherman; Previn played the piano, accompanying Sherman (who played flute). Coincidentally, both composers won 1964 Oscars for different films, both winning in musical categories.

Previn was nominated for 11 Academy Awards. He won four times, in 1958, 1959, 1963 and 1964. He is one of few composers to have accomplished the feat of winning back-to-back Oscars, and one of only two to have done so on two occasions (the other being Alfred Newman). Previn was the only person in the history of the Academy Awards to receive three nominations in one year (1961). In 1970 he was nominated for a Tony Award as part of Coco’s nomination for Best Musical. In 1977 he became an Honorary Member of the Royal Academy of Music. The 1977 television show Previn and the Pittsburgh was nominated for three Emmy awards.

Previn was appointed an honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1996.(Not being a citizen of a Commonwealth realm, he was permitted to use the post-nominal letters KBE but was not called “Sir André”.) Previn received the Kennedy Center Honors in 1998 in recognition of his contributions to classical music and opera in the United States. In 2005 he was awarded the international Glenn Gould Prize and in 2008 won Gramophone magazine’s Lifetime Achievement Award for his work in classical, film, and jazz music. In 2010, the Recording Academy honoured Previn with a Lifetime Achievement Grammy.

However, for all the plaudits, there’s only one thing that he’ll be best remembered for :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMPEUcVyJsc

Ah, yes, Mr Preview x

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Keith Charles Flint (17 September 1969 – c. 4 March 2019) R.I.P

Flint was an English singer, musician and dancer, best known as a vocalist and dancer for the electronic music band The Prodigy. Flint performed vocals on both of The Prodigy’s UK number one singles – “Firestarter” and “Breathe” – which were released in 1996. He was also the lead singer of his own band Flint. More recently he had success as a motorcycle race team owner and manager – with his Team Traction Control winning three Isle of Man TT races in 2015 and competing in the British Supersport Championship.
Earlier today,  following concerns for his welfare, police were called to Flint’s home, where he was found dead. The police were not treating his death as suspicious; apparent suicide.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Bernie Tormé (born Bernard Joseph Tormey; 18 March 1952 – 17 March 2019) R.I.P.

Very sad to have just learned that Irish guitar-slinger passed at the week-end of virulent double pneumonia”.He died on 17 March a day shy of his 67 birthday.

Inspired by the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher, and Gary Moore, Tormé formed his first band at a young age. His first paid performance came when Don Harris, a 14-year-old drummer he played alongside when he was 17, secured a gig at the local Girl Guides’ dance in Kilmainham in Dublin. Tormé then played in Dublin band The Urge in the early 1970s before relocating to London in 1974, where he initially played with heavy rockers Scrapyard, whose bass player, John McCoy would later be re-united with Tormé in Gillan. Inspired by England’s burgeoning mid-1970s punk rock scene, Tormé formed the Bernie Tormé Band in 1976. With this group, Tormé toured with successful groups of that period such as The Boomtown Rats and Billy Idol’s Generation X, among many others. Tormé later revealed that his band secured the supporting slot with the Boomtown Rats by agreeing to go around London putting up posters advertising the tour.

Frustrated by a lack of commercial success, Tormé accepted the invitation of former Deep Purple vocalist Ian Gillan in 1979 to join his band Gillan. Over the next four years, Gillan enjoyed three Top Ten UK albums (Mr. Universe, Glory Road, and Future Shock), in addition to extensive worldwide tours of Europe, Japan, and the United States.

In 1981 Tormé left Gillan, citing frustration over a lack of money despite the success the band was seeing. He was replaced by guitarist Janick Gers. He played as a live session man for Atomic Rooster and was hired in March 1982 by Jet Records to replace the recently deceased Randy Rhoads in Ozzy Osbourne’s band. Tormé flew from England to Los Angeles with the promise that the job was his, even being paid an advance by Jet before leaving England. Though Osbourne had already settled on Robert Sarzo to replace Rhoads, he was forced to abide by the record company’s decision and Tormé began rehearsing with the band. After only a handful of shows it became apparent that Tormé‘s bluesy style was not a good match for Osbourne’s brand of heavy metal, and he elected to return to England to continue work on a solo album. He was quickly replaced by Brad Gillis and the tour continued.

Beginning in 1982 Tormé led his own band under various names and lineups (including a version of Torme with singer Phil Lewis, formerly of Girl and later with LA Guns).  Tormé spent several years with the band Desperado with former Twisted Sister singer Dee Snider. Although the record saw limited release, Snider re-used a number of the songs for a subsequent project, Widowmaker (not to be confused with the 1970s English band of the same name). Tormé also played guitar on René Berg’s solo album, The Leather, The Loneliness And Your Dark Eyes, released in 1992. In addition to the continued release of new Tormé recordings and re-issuance of his back catalogue titles, Tormé also became involved with the ‘Silver’ project, which also included former Michael Schenker Group vocalist Gary Barden.

In 2006, Tormé announced the formation of Guy McCoy Tormé (aka “G.M.T”), with former Gillan bassist John McCoy and drummer Robin Guy. In 2007, Tormé contributed lead guitar and sitar parts to “Smile In Denial”, track #4 of Yoni, a solo album from Wildhearts frontman Ginger.

Of pertinent interest on the form, Bernie was the producer of Ben Poole’s debut EP Everything I Want.

Bernie had only recently release his latest album ‘Shadowland’, featuring drummer Mik Gaffney (The Last Resort) and Sy Morton on bass in November 2018 after which the trio was planning on heading out on Bernie’s ‘Final Fling’ tour starting on November 22nd. This was to be a final tour due to the pain of 40years wear & tear on his body though he did plan to continue recording. Sadly Shadowland is his swan-song.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

The British Blues scene lost two lovely people this week
Dave Raven
Dave started out as a DJ in Newcastle under the name Dave the Rave and progressed through the ranks to working for the Forces Radio. I personally liked his Youtube where he would invite blues artists to do a session on his boat on the Thames.
He’ll be missed by all of his fellow broadcasters, not only for his show, but for his work with the IBBA and UK Blues Federation, and also by his listeners around the world and musicians in the blues family. We all owe him a debt of gratitude.’’
Dave’s involvement with the UKBlues Federation of which he was a founding Board member and Treasurer, was hugely influential and important to the Federation and played no small part in the UKBlues Federation being the organisation it is today, less than four years after it was created.

Jules Fothergill
A member of the Northsyde Blues Band, I will just leave these kind words from Mr Alan Bates here

Saying goodbye to a loved one is always a difficult affair and yesterday was no different. Yes there were tears and sorrow as we bid a beautiful man farewell, but there was also much love and joy at being part of a very special community. One is always reserved on these occasions, particularly when the man that has left us was taken so young and the feeling of loss is so great. But come the day, come the man and when that man is of the calibre of Alex Fothergill reality will be checked. Whilst his many stories of growing up with his kid brother left us all thoroughly entertained, his summary of how Jules wanted us to approach life in the aftermath was so pertinent. Live life to the full, do not be sad and seek out all those nuggets of happiness that lay around us and we all take for granted. How typically Jules that was. Even in his darkest hours he cared about US. Those that would be here after his passing, those that still had the opportunity to live and hug those they loved and those who just don’t know how bloody luck they are.

Oh and he also wanted us to get checked out for the evil bastard of a disease that took this wonderful boy from us all. So, if you’ve got that niggle you cannot explain, or there are other tell tell signs you are ignoring, get it sorted; we have been told.

So today is a new day. The first day of a new life where friends and families will start again without this beautiful man in our lives. So let’s live it and live it to the full. Let’s grasp every opportunity we can with both hands and let’s do it with gusto. Oh and while we are doing it, let’s Shine, Shine, Shine…....he’d have liked that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2RU6-WHLIU
RIP mate x

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Even sadder when it’s that close to home…..

Signature