Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → General Discussion → Thread

R.I.P.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3863

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

R.I.P. Marty Balin

On September 27, 2018, Jefferson Airplane singer and Jefferson Starship songwriter Marty Balin was found dead. The musician was 76 years old. No official cause of death was released.

Balin co-wrote five songs on Jefferson Airplane’s Surrealistic Pillow, including “It’s No Secret,” “Comin’ Back To Me,” and “Share a Little Joke.” He was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1996 with the rest of Jefferson Airplane.

“Marty and I shared the deepest of love - he often called it Nirvana - and it was,” Balin’s wife Susan said. “But really, we were all touched by his love. His presence will be within my entire being forever.”

Signature

If you believe in phrenology; you need your head examining…...

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Just heard, we’ve lost Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee at the age of 95. The feisty writer, editor and publisher was responsible for such iconic characters as Spider-Man, the X-Men, Thor, Iron Man, Black Panther and the Fantastic Four — ‘nuff said.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

R.I.P. Peter Campbell McNeish - Pete Shelley 1955 - 2018

News just coming out about the of The Buzzcocks’ frontman and co-founder, age 63, following a heart attack at his home in Tallin, Estonia.

Shelley formed The Buzzcocks in 1975 along with Howard DeVoto in Bolton in the 1970s and were regarded as more polished, but musically no less influential, than the Sex Pistols. The band have tweeted saying Shelley was “one of the UK’s most influential and prolific songwriters and co-founder of the seminal original punk band Buzzcocks”.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 674

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

RIP Ray Sawyer Doctor Hook and The Medicine Show

Ray Sawyer, musician and singer, born 1 February 1937; died 28 December 2018

Ray was the cowboy hat wearing, one eyed percussion and backing vocalist in Doctor Hook (Eye Patch / Captain Hook / Doctor Hook, gedddit)
Better known for some beautiful songs such as Sylvia’s Mother but they had a wicked sense of humour and had a few ‘well past the knuckle’ songs in their repertoire.
I remember an Old Grey Whistle Test Special, where they came on the stage dressed as the bay City Rollers, by mistake, they joked. and then got changed behind a back lit screen on stage. Well, if you can’t have fun, why do it.

So if you ever wanted to see doctor Hook, dressed as the Bay City Rollers singing like Chipmunks, here you are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK93vJ9oF9A

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

tilerman - 02 January 2019 10:30 PM

RIP Ray Sawyer Doctor Hook and The Medicine Show

Ray Sawyer, musician and singer, born 1 February 1937; died 28 December 2018

Ray was the cowboy hat wearing, one eyed percussion and backing vocalist in Doctor Hook (Eye Patch / Captain Hook / Doctor Hook, gedddit)
Better known for some beautiful songs such as Sylvia’s Mother but they had a wicked sense of humour and had a few ‘well past the knuckle’ songs in their repertoire.
I remember an Old Grey Whistle Test Special, where they came on the stage dressed as the bay City Rollers, by mistake, they joked. and then got changed behind a back lit screen on stage. Well, if you can’t have fun, why do it.

So if you ever wanted to see doctor Hook, dressed as the Bay City Rollers singing like Chipmunks, here you are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK93vJ9oF9A

Always on of my favourite of Hook’s lesser known hits - Ballad of Lucy Jordan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFGQyYfhLsc

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

R.I.P. Dean Ford (Thomas McAleese) - 1946 - 2018

The former vocalist with Marmalade during their peak, known for the chart topping cover of The Beatles’ Oh-Bla-Dee and their own Worldwide hit Reflections of My Life in 1969.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTeI65yrhGw

After leaving Marmalade in the mid 1970s, Ford did a solo album produced by Alan Parsons with whom he worked with on and off before unsuccessfully relocating to the US where he dropped out of music for a while due to alcohol problems. In the early 2000s, Ford was back working with Scottish contemporaries, in a re-vamped Sensational Alex Harvey Band and the tribute album to Frankie Miller and working with former Badfinger guitarist Joe Tansin as recently as 2012.

With the support of crowdfunding, Ford completed production of a second solo album of original material entitled Feel My Heartbeat. in 2017. He released an album called My Scottish Heart, two months before his demise

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Edward “Ted” McKenna - 1950 - 2019 R.I.P.

Heard over the week-end of the death of drummmer Ted McKenna due to haemmorage while undergoing a hernia operation.

Over a 50 year career, Ted played in a number of key bands; Rare Breed (1969), Dream Police (1970), Tear Gas (1971), The Sensational Alex Harvey Band (1972-77), Rory Gallagher (1978-81), Greg Lake, Gary Moore (1981-82), The Michael Schenker Group (1982-84), Womack & Womack (1988), McKenna’s Gold (1988), Ian Gillan (1990), The Sensational Party Boys (1992-93), Gwyn Ashton (2004), The Paul Rose Band (2006-11), The Rhumboogie Orchestra (2009), Band of Friends (2011 - Present), Michael Schenker Fest (2016 - Present) as well as occassioonal session work, though in llater life he lectured in Applied Arts at North Glasgow College from 1996–2011

Signature