Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → General Discussion → Thread

R.I.P.

Rank

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2009-03-17

PM

Tragic News from the Newark Blues Festival on Saturday where I saw Kevin Thorpe’s Tipping Point perform along with Aynsley and several other bands.
It appears that Kevin suffered a heart attack shortly after he had finished his set.
A blue day for the blues

RIP

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 686

Joined 2008-10-14

PM

Very sad news indeed. My thoughts go to his family and friends. RIP Kevin.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1440

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

Agreed. I can’t profess to have been that familar with Thorpe’s music, in fact since hearing the news I’ve had a listen and he was very talented. A very sad moment but slight solace in that he was doing what he had loved most in the last few hours of his life. RIP.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1838

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Now this guy was a genius procuing some excellent tunes

Examples include Days Gone Down and Get It Right Next Time as well as the well known Baker Street.

RIP.

BB

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 594

Joined 2009-02-11

PM

Eric Bell announced this sad news from the stage at last night’s 25th Annual Vibe for Philo in Dublin. So Gerry was in our thoughts while we were remembering the exceptional talents of Phil Lynott.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2009-08-05

PM

From BBC news:

The renowned rock guitarist Gary Moore has died, the BBC has learned.

Mr Moore, 58, was, originally from Belfast, and was a former member of the legendary Irish group Thin Lizzy.

Adam Parsons, who manages Thin Lizzy, told the BBC that Mr Moore had died in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Mr Moore was originally drafted into Thin Lizzy by its singer Phil Lynott. He later gained acclaim for his solo work and was a former member of the Irish group Skid Row

Very sad news indeed.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1556

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

yeah - terrible news….......saw him at Charlotte Street a few months back…........

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 594

Joined 2009-02-11

PM

His manner provoked a lot of discussion on here and elsewhere, but there was no denying his ability. He made a lot of good music.

RIP

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 686

Joined 2008-10-14

PM

Just heard the news myself, tragic. Another contender for that great rock band in the sky.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1556

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

from the gig we attended at Charlotte Street Blues Bar last year….........

http://www.youtube.com/user/omegalast800#p/search/2/MoTy15UXD6w

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1440

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

I could not pass without posting my thoughts here. I was very saddened to hear about the passing of Gary Moore, and I have shed some tears today since hearing the news. Moore was a crucial artist for me in the development of my musical interest.  From my mid-teens I’d been a fan of hard rock and heavy metal and naturally I became a fan of Thin Lizzy, but also became aware of Moore’s solo career.  In the early 1990s his blues albums were very popular, with songs like Cold Day in Hell charting as singles and before long the trio of Still Got The Blues, After Hours and Live Blues became regular staple albums for me. And much how guys like Clapton had led people to the blues 20 years earlier (or Joe is doing so now), Moore was the one who led me to artists like Peter Green, John Mayall, Albert King, Albert Collins and so many others.  I’ve been critical in the past about his attitude and his choice of material, yet generally though as a guitarist ability wise he was untouchable and with such a diverse range of styles.  I’m glad I had the chance to see him live yet saddened by his premature passing.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1838

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Greenose - 06 February 2011 10:01 PM

I could not pass without posting my thoughts here. I was very saddened to hear about the passing of Gary Moore, and I have shed some tears today since hearing the news. Moore was a crucial artist for me in the development of my musical interest.  From my mid-teens I’d been a fan of hard rock and heavy metal and naturally I became a fan of Thin Lizzy, but also became aware of Moore’s solo career.  In the early 1990s his blues albums were very popular, with songs like Cold Day in Hell charting as singles and before long the trio of Still Got The Blues, After Hours and Live Blues became regular staple albums for me. And much how guys like Clapton had led people to the blues 20 years earlier (or Joe is doing so now), Moore was the one who led me to artists like Peter Green, John Mayall, Albert King, Albert Collins and so many others.  I’ve been critical in the past about his attitude and his choice of material, yet generally though as a guitarist ability wise he was untouchable and with such a diverse range of styles.  I’m glad I had the chance to see him live yet saddened by his premature passing.

Thanks Duncan

That sums it up for me, I was also influenced by Lizzy, their work still sound fresh to this day, and likewise the blue influence from Gary Moore.

No doubting he was a genius.

RIP

BB

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2008-07-30

PM

Sad but true! I saw him 2002 at Puistoblues. It was his Hendrix-period with Scars. Gig was just like I expected. Serious blues fans left before his set. Many left when “Still Got the Blues” ended.

Does anyone know was Gary Moore left-handed?

RIP

Signature

Vox audita perit, littera scripta manet

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3202

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Riku Rassi - 07 February 2011 06:52 AM

Does anyone know was Gary Moore left-handed?

RIP

He was naturally left handed, but like several other guitarists, played right-handed.

A great talent called too early; he’ll be missed. I have memories of fines shows he played at Newcastle through the years, and I’m thankful for that.

Mike

Signature

If there’s a Highway to Hell but only a Stairway To Heaven; it speaks volumes about the predicted traffic flow..

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 648

Joined 2009-02-22

PM

jimmyo - 06 February 2011 06:41 PM

His manner provoked a lot of discussion on here and elsewhere, but there was no denying his ability. He made a lot of good music.

RIP

And you may remember I was one of those most critical at the time…..
One thing for sure, and for this he has my respect - he played a significant part in carrying that torch for Blues guitar music. Many people - listeners and artists - would never have found their way to the genre without such contributions as the “Still Got the Blues” album, which I still regard as his best solo work.

And I’m glad he left us this little gem on video….. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzpMBscDNbM

Ian

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 490

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

Im with Icon on this.

He wasn’t one of my faves either but his ability commanded respect and he left us with a fine legacy “Still got the Blues” is a classic which will still be played in generations to come.

One less Blues guitar great and one less grumpy old man

He will be missed

Signature

Hellhound on my trail