Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Albums → Thread

Which Tower Sessions Song is your favourite?

Poll: Which Track from "The Tower Sessions" is your favourite?
Total Votes: 18
Soundman
Sugar Low
Purple Rain
Quiet Boy
Early Morning
What’s It All About
Hurricane
Hero
With Me Tonight
Crosstown Traffic
In the Morning
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1838

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Managed to catch up with Aynsley tonight and get my signed copy of the Tower Sessions. Had a quick listen and it sounds good to me.

However I need a few more listens before I make up my mind which song I like best. That shouldn’t stop those of you who’ve been listening to it for a while deciding which song is your favourite.

I’m already guessing what the winner might be but do you agree?

Unfortunately the voting is restricted to just one choice, so choose wisely.

Good Luck

Incidentally if you are not a member of the forum and you’re reading this you can join in by signing up.  It’d be good to get the votes of those who are not currently on the forum.

BB

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3320

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Oh boy! You certainly don’t make things easy. Do you pick from one of a handful of tracks from one of the best albums released by anyone in the last 18 months, or pick from a selection of best tracks taken throughout the career, or one of either storming covers?

I’ve chosen one that was slightly overlooked initially, but to be honest, I could have picked at random and be happy with the selection.

Hope you’re enjoying Tower Sessions BB, got to admire your restraint at holding out this long. I’m just counting the days down till November to see Aynsley at The Cluny, and this time I’ve got a car full of mates coming along.

Mike

Signature

Of course; I could be lying….

Rank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2008-09-17

PM

No surprises from me BB; had to choose it in view of it’s significance to all. Would of course be WIAB otherwise.

Top gig last night & a decent crowd too. Well impressed with Tim Brown.  Where were you in the room?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1556

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

With Me Tonight remains my favourite Aynsley song, so as this is really a “best of” set, it gets my vote. I love Aynsley’s interpretation of Purple Rain, but I still think plenty of his own material is better…........

RankRank

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2008-03-15

PM

With me tonight is also my favourite Aynsley song and I love Purple Rain but as far as this album goes the real surprise for me is Early Morning (Dew!) coz I wasn’t a huge fan of the original version but I can’t get enough of this one. So i’ve gone for that.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 595

Joined 2009-02-11

PM

BB, you were bound to do this, but it’s really difficult, they are all contenders.

Although I’m loathe to not vote for an original, it has to be Purple Rain. This is the one that so many people wanted to be recorded and it is an “original interpretation”. It could even be covered itself, like most covers of Little Wing seem to me to be not of the original but Clapton’s cover. I wonder what Formally Known as an Artist thinks of it? Anyway, my ipod seems to like it too, as, on shuffle, it’s been played 4 times more than any other track from the Sessions!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

I know

I’m still thinking about it myself, I’ve now had the tower seeions fro a few days and what great quality.  The earlier point by Amy is a good one Early Morning Dew ...now curtailed to Early Morning sounds so much better beefed up on the Tower Sessions. But WIAA still stands out. I really like In the Morning, but for me Aynsley has never bettered the version I saw him do at the Boom Boom Club, (as a 3 piece). The playing he did on that particular track was out of this world…. he even commented to the crowd, that it was the fastest he’d ever played it. So this version whilst good is not Aynsley’s best. Quiet boy is actually sort of understated. The of course there is the masterful Purple Rain.

I need more listens!!!

BB

RankRank

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2008-03-15

PM

I know what you mean BB about In the Morning. I first heard it live at the Robin in Bilston when they were a three piece supporting Robin Trower. I’ve never heard him play it better since either live or on CD. It was astonishing and Trower’s fans were picking their jaws up off the floor! WIAA is my favourite track from Equilibrium but if its any help I think you have to pick based on this album as though you haven’t heard Aynsley before. Good Luck!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Amy - 14 September 2010 07:44 AM

I know what you mean BB about In the Morning. I first heard it live at the Robin in Bilston when they were a three piece supporting Robin Trower. I’ve never heard him play it better since either live or on CD. It was astonishing and Trower’s fans were picking their jaws up off the floor! WIAA is my favourite track from Equilibrium but if its any help I think you have to pick based on this album as though you haven’t heard Aynsley before. Good Luck!

Hi Amy

I believe there may be a recording of In the Morning Some where on Youtube courtesy of Prakash.

BB

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 490

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

This may seem a bit odd but I have mentioned previously I am a downloader and not a buyer of CD’s (and not a downloader of entire albums generally either) so have picked the best bits I don’t have already being Quiet Boy & Purple Rain.

Purple Rain is a great live track and this is a great version but think you need to be there to appreciate it and sing a long so Quiet Boy gets my vote, shows Aynsley can still play the blues when he fancies.

Signature

Hellhound on my trail

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Red & Blues - 20 September 2010 07:57 AM

This may seem a bit odd but I have mentioned previously I am a downloader and not a buyer of CD’s (and not a downloader of entire albums generally either) so have picked the best bits I don’t have already being Quiet Boy & Purple Rain.

Purple Rain is a great live track and this is a great version but think you need to be there to appreciate it and sing a long so Quiet Boy gets my vote, shows Aynsley can still play the blues when he fancies.

Good choice Ian

Then again they are all good choices.

BB

Rank

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2010-03-16

PM

oOOooOOh just visited the gig guide…...ST HELENS…yahoooo, not far from me, i shall be there! who else igs going all dressed up an fancy then? x

Signature

this is all your fauly Sidney…

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Hi Tall Blonde

You might want to do a separate thread under gigs and festivals.

BB

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Finally voted for with me tonight, after many listens it is still the class song for me, not to be beaten.

BB

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1036

Joined 2009-03-08

PM

The Big Blue - 12 September 2010 10:59 PM

I know

I’m still thinking about it myself, I’ve now had the tower seeions fro a few days and what great quality.  The earlier point by Amy is a good one Early Morning Dew ...now curtailed to Early Morning sounds so much better beefed up on the Tower Sessions. But WIAA still stands out. I really like In the Morning, but for me Aynsley has never bettered the version I saw him do at the Boom Boom Club, (as a 3 piece). The playing he did on that particular track was out of this world…. he even commented to the crowd, that it was the fastest he’d ever played it. So this version whilst good is not Aynsley’s best. Quiet boy is actually sort of understated. The of course there is the masterful Purple Rain.

I need more listens!!!

BB

Incredible that you really could wait this long for the album. But therefore you have a signed album.
Regarding “in the morning” I know what you mean, the sound and the speed are out of this world live. One if not the best slides I’ve ever heard.
But before I make a vote, I have to hear the CD once again.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Ligho - 17 November 2010 06:37 PM
The Big Blue - 12 September 2010 10:59 PM

I know

I need more listens!!!

BB

Incredible that you really could wait this long for the album. But therefore you have a signed album.
Regarding “in the morning” I know what you mean, the sound and the speed are out of this world live. One if not the best slides I’ve ever heard.
But before I make a vote, I have to hear the CD once again.

Thanks Ligho

I listed to it 10 - 12 times before deciding, and it really is incredibly hard, just to see not which track grabbed me instantly, but which one stood the test of time so to speak.

happy Listening. wink

BB