RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1440

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

You may know who wrote this review, from the current issue of Blues Matters:

AYNSLEY LISTER

Tower Sessions

Manhaton

Aynsley Lister rose to prominence in the Blues field ten years ago as a young Brit producing his own brand of blues rock featuring heavily the influences of Messers Gallagher, Green and Vaughan. As his career has progressed his music output has widened greatly incorporating the likes of Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ in his live shows, while his most recent studio albums have shown an embracement of commercial sensibilities and developing original song-writing. Was this Lister looking to leave his blues roots behind him in search of more mainstream attention? This album recorded earlier this year in a live take shows that Lister’s repertoire is diverse, yet the heavy Blues presence remains prominently. Finally ‘Purple Rain’ is recorded here and as fans of his live act would attest, it is a stunning and emotionally charged interpretation. Yet it before this is an airy version of his Blues shuffle ‘Soundman’ and slide led ‘Sugar Low’, whilst the pulsating instrumental ‘Quiet Boy!’ is an indication that Lister still loves playing guitar driven Blues, before a fully electric version of ‘Early Morning Dew’. It is more recent compositions, which demonstrate Lister’s ability to build on a solid Blues basis, yet through the use of contrasting tempos, dynamics and contemporary flavour that truly make this an outstanding collection: the introspective ‘What’s It All About, with a superb melodic guitar solo, the expansive ‘Hurricane’ and progressive shuffle ‘With Me Tonight’. Lister’s playing is freer and more improvised due to the presence of keyboardist Dan Healey, with a powerful backbeat from Midus Guerreiro on bass and Simon Small on drums. The superb recording enhances these songs beyond the studio versions making this release of interest to fans and newcomers alike.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 686

Joined 2008-10-14

PM

I wonder who indeed wrote this. Answers on a post card to ................................................................

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 648

Joined 2009-02-22

PM

Now that’s what I call a well considered and equally well written review. Couldn’t possibly be one of yours Duncan…  tongue wink

Seriously though - nice one! (just hope you haven’t upset Midus LOL )

I have to tell you I’ve been feeling a little ambivalent about BM just recently (get it?). Luckily for them I’d renewed my subscription just before those feelings appeared. Shame not all contributors match your standards eh?

Ian

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

Cheers guys! It was pleasing to get the album to hear early and hopefully the review does encourage more to buy the album. Re BM and the changes, happy to discuss, but I’d rather do so in the private other topics section if you’d like…

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1556

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

“Yet it before this is an airy version of his Blues shuffle ‘Soundman’”?????? - nice one Duncan, but you forgot to send to me to proof read!!!!!  LOL

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

Airy (def) - being light and graceful in movement or manner smile

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1556

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

Greenose - 01 August 2010 03:30 PM

hahaha - I mean’t the “Yet it before this”!!!! LOL

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

eldo56 - 02 August 2010 07:54 AM
Greenose - 01 August 2010 03:30 PM

hahaha - I mean’t the “Yet it before this”!!!! LOL

Yeah, just checked, they published it like that too!  red face

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1838

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

LOL

Just caught up on this thread and it made me laugh.

BB

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2008-11-04

PM

No criticism from me.  I just got an Email from a German magazine turning down an article because
it would take too much time to rewrite my (not very fluent) written German.
How do you translate “It was a very ‘boots and braces show” into Deutsch anyway?!

The sad thing is that they would actually pay for my article.
Allbeit not very much :-(
Any Germans out there who want to struggle with my teutonic ramblings over Jeff, Joe and Jimmy let me know and I’ll buy you a pint when you’re in town.