Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → General Discussion → Thread

Covers you’d love to hear Aynsley do

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1440

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

Following on from the general cover versions conversation, I thought it might be interesting to think of songs that we would like to hear Aynsley play in the future. This is meant to be lighthearted and not to influence or pressure Aynsley in anyway, although hopefully he may also find it of interest.

Well I guess I should suggest one to start with…

How about a cover of another great British blues singer Peter Green? Therefore I’d suggest Fool No More by Fleetwood Mac.

Britbabe, will you be suggesting Red House by Jimi Hendrix? grin

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2008-07-30

PM

I would love to hear Aynsley cover a Rory Gallagher song ... perhaps Easy Come Easy Go or Bad Penny

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2008-05-26

PM

Loved the cover of Purple Rain at the Putney gig.. I’d like to hear a bit of Hey Joe

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2008-07-30

PM

Hi Britbabe, thanks a million for the heads-up on Aynsley’s cover of Rory’s “Continental Op”, I’ll try to get the CD ... and I won’t have to shoot you - the song IS a Rory composition, not a cover. Love the thoughts of a Roxy cover, there’s a huge world of music out there which can be explored and expanded, we should keep our musical eyes open and not get blinkered. I’m sure that Aynsley’s interpretation of a Roxy song would be amazing.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2008-07-30

PM

Fleetwood Mac song Albatross with Ian Parker or Erja Lyytinen on 2nd guitar!

Signature

Vox audita perit, littera scripta manet

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1556

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

yeah - you know I somehow knew you were an Osmonds fan, Britbabe - bet you had Donny posters on your wall when you were a lass - until David Coverdale came along…....I’d prefer to hear Aynsley doing Still of the Night…........killer riff….....

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

ibanez - 31 July 2008 07:47 AM

Hi Britbabe, thanks a million for the heads-up on Aynsley’s cover of Rory’s “Continental Op”, I’ll try to get the CD ... and I won’t have to shoot you - the song IS a Rory composition, not a cover.

Interesting that Aynsley has covered this Rory song, I’d love to hear it too. It appears Rory has been an influence on Ayns, As The Crow Flies and Empire State Express are covers he has done that Rory did earlier, and I’m assuming from the title of the album mentioned that Aynsley has also covered Messing With The Kid. Would love to hear that too.

I really could not see Aynsley playing Still of the Night, maybe one of the older Whitesnake tracks though, Walking In the Shadow of the Blues is a great song, how about that? Mr Big or something else by Free would be cool too.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

Greenose - check out Gwyn Ashton - he does a great version of Rory’s Secret Agent on his latest album, Prohibition - the Still of the Night suggestion was very tongue in cheek….......

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

Hi Eldo, yes I have the Prohabiton album by Gwyn Ashon, its not bad. I still prefer the original though. Back Door Slam play a couple of Rory’s songs too, Goin’ To My Hometown and What In The World (written by Willie Dixon). I have live recordings if you are interested.
Calling Card is a great album, the title track would make a good cover too.
I thought it might have been tounge in cheek… It would certainly be a surprise to hear it!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

Greenose - yeah - Gwyn Ashton is playing down here in London (Chislehurst) this thursday, so plan to go along - another Rory tribute band down here is Sinnerboy - they’re pretty good too - another good cover could be Taste’s Morning Sun - a real short rocker with neat guitar break in the middle

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

eldo56 - 05 August 2008 03:10 PM

Greenose - yeah - Gwyn Ashton is playing down here in London (Chislehurst) this thursday, so plan to go along - another Rory tribute band down here is Sinnerboy - they’re pretty good too - another good cover could be Taste’s Morning Sun - a real short rocker with neat guitar break in the middle

I notice Gwyn recorded Prohabition in Scotland, but not heard of him playing any gigs up here (yet). Joe Bonamassa obviously covered Cradle Rock. Persuasion, a bonus track on Deuce would be another good cover. I’m racking my brains for a left of field cover like Britbabe has suggested, I’ll get back to you…

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

Love is the Drug - no way Britbabe - you are getting silly now!!! - that song needs the Ferry vocal - can’t imagine anyone making a good cover of that one - anyway, enough if this folly - Aynsley needs to get cracking on writing some new material for the next album - lets forget about covers - is Soul the only track so far??? - perhaps Aynsley needs an appraisal and to be set some serious objectives…...........

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

eldo56 - 06 August 2008 11:46 AM

Love is the Drug - no way Britbabe - you are getting silly now!!! - that song needs the Ferry vocal - can’t imagine anyone making a good cover of that one - anyway, enough if this folly - Aynsley needs to get cracking on writing some new material for the next album - lets forget about covers - is Soul the only track so far??? - perhaps Aynsley needs an appraisal and to be set some serious objectives…...........

I may be wrong but I think Aynsley is recording just now, he said he would be recording during the summer when he was on tour, and his lack of gigs at the moment indicate that might be the case (or he could be sunning himself on a beach somewhere!). Suggesting covers is a bit of fun until we can get discussing gigs and hopefully the new album too :-)

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2008-04-10

PM

I’d like to hear Aynsley do Led Zep’s “Dazed And Confused”...  I heard him play the riff during another song a long time ago at Wilbarston Hall.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

Prison of Love, as done by Robben Ford on the Live in San Fransisco album would be cool….....its got that Disorderly Me, Soundman kind of vibe - and a great guitar solo in the middle - give it a listen if you haven’t already…

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

Out of interest are there anymore covers that Aynsley does on Messing With The Kid and Pay Attention other than Continental OP?