Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Albums → Thread

The Tower sessions

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3251

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Gorch - 26 October 2011 07:42 AM

Newly registered, I want to say hello to the round first!

The way Tower Sessions was recorded needs to be continued. The sound has much more life than any studio overdub fiddling could ever have. Purple Rain says it all. I’ve seen Ainsley live first, then bought the CD. Purple Rain was impressive life. The recording saved the vibe on to the CD. I think that would have been impossible with a classic studio recording. Never mind, the other songs are great too and have the same liveness PR has.

I’d love to have more CDs recorded this way.

Hi Gorch, and welcome to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to post, no doubt others will be along to say “Hello” and invite you to take part in album opinion polls and other forum activities. I’d just say have a good look round and contribute anywhere you like - we welcome fresh input. It’s very friendly on here and people are always exchanging info on gigs, albums and artists, so don’t be afraid to join in.

I have to agree with your comments. Getting a good quality “live” recording is often difficult for bands like Aynsley’s as the venues they play are often small and audiences are enthusiastic so there’s a lot of distraction during the quieter parts. As I understand it, the way Tower House was finally recorded was unintentional. The band recorded a full live show earlier in the tour, but weren’t quite satisfied, so arranged another booking but it was too late to make it a proper gig, so they did it almost as a studio session, everything is a “live take”, no overdubs.

I’ve been to some shows, in larger halls, where there’s been a company who record direct from the sound desk and sell the recordings on USB as a momento. You get a quality recording, with little audience noise, only what’s been picked up on the stage mics.

Once again - welcome aboard and enjoy.

Mike

Signature

If there’s a Highway to Hell but only a Stairway To Heaven; it speaks volumes about the predicted traffic flow..

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2011-10-26

PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. Actually, I wasn’t talking about classic live albums. My intention was about studio albums recorded with the liveness of life situations. I remember U2 used to record an album in a church in the 80s. It had been either the Unforgettable Fire or Joshua Tree. I don’t remember exactly. The reason to record in the church was for its special acoustic they wanted to capture on to the record.

In that means, I’d like to listen to more Tower Session style recordings.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

I think I know what you mean now - think its like the way Led Zeppelin used to record at Hadely Grange. Some used to say it was because of Jimmy Page’s love of the arcane, but much had to do with the resonances and echoes they could get, for example setting Bonham’s drums up in the entrance hall for extra “thrutch”, as he called it.

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of many bands who record in the studio “as live”. Might be a good topic to start on open forum, get people thinking and ideas going. There’ll probably be more than you think, though its hard to tell. I was surprised last month reading an article on AC/DC and how they used to work in the studio with Mutt Lang; he used to meticulously build up each instrument on each song - spending days just getting the sound of the snare drum just right, before worrying about timing etc. Totally the opposite of capturing a “live” feel.

Mike

Signature

If there’s a Highway to Hell but only a Stairway To Heaven; it speaks volumes about the predicted traffic flow..

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 595

Joined 2009-02-11

PM

Welcome Gorch!

Well done, it has been a long time since anybody posted on Albums.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 648

Joined 2009-02-22

PM

Hello Gorch - welcome aboard!

I’m in absolute agreement with you on this. Tower sessions has a great feel about the music that only comes from the whole band playng together, and this was a band really on top form at the end of a tour. Sounds far better than an album where the parts have been recorded seperately and stitched together by an engineer over a number of weeks. I tend to think of it as being organic.

Thanks for the link to the photos of that beautiful guitar by the way - stunning.

Ian

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1838

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Hi Gorch

There is something in what you say,

Sometimes, and I can only really say because I’ve seen Aynsley live so many times. Live as in “The Tower Sessions” doesn’t capture Aynsley at his best.

Infuriatingly I’ve seen him do better live versions, such as Hush at the Black Horse festival and In The Morning at the Boom Boom Club ( without keyboards).

The best version of Feelin’ Good was just a couple of months back.  It may be because Aynsley experiments with each live version and the songs will never be the same on two occasions. (A bit like snow flakes). So I quite like the recorded (not live) CDs to use as a bench mark, because I know it is going to be so much better live.  I don’t know what you think, but Crazy and Early Morning Dew are so much better live than on the Equilibrium album, but without hearing the Equilibrium Album I don’t think you can fully appreciate how brilliant they are live.

I know it sounds paradoxical but I hope it makes some kind of sense.

Then there is the commercial aspect, I don’t know if live sells as well as studio… again hopefully the mangement might be able to advise on that one.

Thanks for the contribution, it’s certainly prevoked some thought on my part.

BB

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-02-11

PM

The writers and contributors to UK magazine Blues Matters have voted The Tower Session number one live album of the year.

They have also voted it joint number four studio album of the year! Are they having a laugh?

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

jimmyo - 23 November 2011 09:56 AM

The writers and contributors to UK magazine Blues Matters have voted The Tower Session number one live album of the year.

They have also voted it joint number four studio album of the year! Are they having a laugh?

Gather it missed out then in the Concept Album polls…..

Either chart, it still a good result: way to go Team Aynsley!!

Mike

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1556

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

I thought Tower Sessions was a 2010 release - strange its Blues Matters No1 live album in 2011….........what other albums were i their 2011 Live Album
list?

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-02-11

PM

To be fair, the Poll doesn’t actually say it’s for 2011, but it’s certainly not an “all time” either.

Other albums were - The Spikedrivers – Front Porch Swing, King Pleasure & The Biscuit Boys – Life At Last, Matt Schofield-Live From The Archive & Eddie Martin-Live At The Wharf. Must admit I don’t know any of them!

Their definition of a solo artist is also questionable, as most of the artists mentioned front their bands. The winner, Ian Sigel, certainly does both, as does our man, who wasn’t even mentioned. Matt Schofield is number 4 and the Matt Schofield Band is number 4 band!

Here’s the whole lot - http://bluesmatters.com/magazine/2011/11/the-bm-poll/

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

jimmyo - 24 November 2011 10:51 AM

To be fair, the Poll doesn’t actually say it’s for 2011, but it’s certainly not an “all time” either.

Other albums were - The Spikedrivers – Front Porch Swing, King Pleasure & The Biscuit Boys – Life At Last, Matt Schofield-Live From The Archive & Eddie Martin-Live At The Wharf. Must admit I don’t know any of them!

Their definition of a solo artist is also questionable, as most of the artists mentioned front their bands. The winner, Ian Sigel, certainly does both, as does our man, who wasn’t even mentioned. Matt Schofield is number 4 and the Matt Schofield Band is number 4 band!

Can’t say I know the other nominees either, apart from the Matt Schofiled - Live From The Archive. Archive it is, as it’s taken from a live-to-air broadcast Matt and the band did in the Netherlands in 2007. That “blurs” the poll a little, even though it was released in 2010, it was recorded in 2007. confused Ah, what the heck, it pre-dates “Heads Tails & Aces”, but it’s a classic slice of Matt, worth a place in anyone’s poll or collection.

Mike

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 648

Joined 2009-02-22

PM

jimmyo - 24 November 2011 10:51 AM

I’m not a big fan of polls and awards to be honest, and this one (apart from Aynsley getting some well deserved recogntion) just reinforces that opinion.

Jimmy’s spot on - either Matt Schofield is a solo artist or a band - can’t be both. The winner in International Bass Player made me laugh too - Glenn Hughes - I would have thought the band’s name might have given a clue as to where he’s from oh oh . But perhaps the biggest mystery seems to be what year we are talking about.

Oh well - that’s BM for you. Never renewed my subscription this year as I felt standards had dropped over the last 12 months.

Ian

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1838

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

I’m not a big fan of polls and awards to be honest, and this one (apart from Aynsley getting some well deserved recogntion) just reinforces that opinion.

I disagree I think the polls on this forum are excellent!!!! tongue wink

This forum voted WIAA the best song on Equilibrium, whilst I didn’t vote for WIAA I have to say I think the respondees got it right!!

BB

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2012-04-05

PM

Hello all!  Coming at you from Indianapolis Indiana here.  Just saw this part of the site, and thought I would chime in on the Purple Rain stuff.  When I saw a youtube video of Aynsley doing it, I was pretty amazed.  I then went and bought the tower sessions after hearing the song here on the site.  My cousin works with Prince’s sister in MN.  Now Prince as you may or may not know, does not like people doing covers of music.  Not just his stuff, but covers in general.  He thinks people shouldn’t do it.  You can see him talk about it on “THE GEORGE LOPEZ SHOW” that was on TBS last year.  At any rate, I told my cousin to have him listen to it, with a open mind.  One night, the song was played for him, and he thought it was a very, very good rendition.  He was very happy to hear that cover of the song.  So I was more then happy to relay that message back to Aynsley.

I didn’t know anything about him until I heard a song on Sirius/XM (need you so bad) and was blown away by the song.  I would just sit and re-wind my plug and play over and over and over again.  Wow, that song is awesome.  I then checked into the artist and found my new fav blues guy.

I hope you all realize how great of a player this man is.  Not only player, but song writer, super talented man.  I can’t wait to see him live!

Signature

GO RAIDERS!  FIGHT ON TROJANS!  “JUST WIN BABY”

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1035

Joined 2009-03-08

PM

Hello Raiderman,

welcome here. Yeah, music of Aynsley and the albums are pretty good. All of them. Normally you’ll find 1 or 2 cover songs on his albums and normally the covers are very good like Purple Rain, As the crow flies, Slow dancing in a burning room, Crazy, Walkin’ blues.
Hard to name my favourite album, maybe it’s the acoustic album Supakev’n Pilchards. That’s the one I started with to end up with the whole collection ...

Greetings from the “Ruhrpott” in Germany