Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Albums → Thread

The Tower sessions

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2008-09-19

PM

It was well worth the wait. I am, like my fellow listeners. impressed with the sound on the new album.
I particularly liked the live sound, with no background noise / whistles, etc. The production by Aynsley and Alan has really raised the bar.
The sleeve notes say ‘no audience’ ..... Some of us know otherwise!
Just as an aside, I recorded last week’s Jools Holland prog .... and it was dire. Has Aynsley ever been invited? If not, wouldn’t it be marvellous for Aynsley and the band to be invited ...a really good advert to British music. I then started to think back to the Tower sessions album…. if you were choosing a song for Aynsley to play, which would it be? I know that many (including me!) would be Purple Rain, but I would be (possibly) controversial ... it has to be Early Morning (Dew) or Hero. What do you think? 

Signature

signature_image
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1838

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Hi KB

It’s often been mooted that Aynsley should try and get on to Jool Holland.  But we’ve not heard much on that front. With BDRC and Glastonbury lined up I reckon Aynsley will get a good showing and hopefully some BBC air time too.

BB

Rank

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2007-12-15

PM

Hello everyone. I’ve just been on Amazon who are selling The Towers. It could be me but there might be a few comments creeping in along the lines of ‘is it live/isn’t it’. I’ve chucked my 2 pennethworth in but you may feel that, very discreetly, you might like to add to the reviews. Just a thought.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2008-07-30

PM

CD sounds great but why do it without live audience?

Signature

Vox audita perit, littera scripta manet

Rank

Joined 2007-12-15

PM

I guess as I was one of those lucky enough to be invited to the original Live recording I kind of think it doesn’t really matter.

To put it in it’s simplest terms, the music is as good as it was on the day the advantage is there isn’t some bloke on his mobile sending it back to Scotland and getting on Aynsley’s ###‘s.

Maybe it’s just me though.

Rank

Joined 2007-12-15

PM

Hello Big Blue!

How are you these days?

I was hoping he would make it onto the BBC but I’m damned if I could find him. Very disappointing.

If I missed it then so be it. I do recall in previous years that they have done ‘follow-up’ sessions, so maybe he will get a look in there.

All the best

Fordington

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

fordington - 30 June 2010 04:22 PM

Hello Big Blue!

How are you these days?

I was hoping he would make it onto the BBC but I’m damned if I could find him. Very disappointing.

If I missed it then so be it. I do recall in previous years that they have done ‘follow-up’ sessions, so maybe he will get a look in there.

All the best

Fordington

Hi Fordington - no surprise with the BBC - their usual approach is no to play or show anyone unless they are famous. Catch 22 if your not famous but as good as Aynsley.

BB

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2008-11-04

PM

I’ve had a chance to give the disc a few plays and yep, great sound and production.
I love especially ‘Soundman’ and of course ‘Purple Rain’.

My only gripe is over the ‘Live’ tag.  Maybe it’s my advanced age (wrong side of 30) but to me
‘Live’ means in front of an audience.  Otherwise you can call any disc live since a death radically curtails a musicians ability to sing/play wink

This forum reveals there actually was an audience, but presumably anyone clapping was frogmarched out of the hall and lynched from a Winchester Council lamp post.
The Band performed before people (to give a live feel for the band to feed off?) and then edited them out.

Excellent CD though so I suppose the end justified the means - and makes me wonder if this method of recording will catch on?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1439

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

Johnno - 05 July 2010 12:15 PM

I’ve had a chance to give the disc a few plays and yep, great sound and production.

My only gripe is over the ‘Live’ tag.  Maybe it’s my advanced age (wrong side of 30) but to me
‘Live’ means in front of an audience.  Otherwise you can call any disc live since a death radically curtails a musicians ability to sing/play wink

This forum reveals there actually was an audience, but presumably anyone clapping was frogmarched out of the hall and lynched from a Winchester Council lamp post.
The Band performed before people (to give a live feel for the band to feed off?) and then edited them out.

Excellent CD though so I suppose the end justified the means - and makes me wonder if this method of recording will catch on?

To clarify, there was a live session recorded before a crowd, however the band were not happy with the results and re-recorded another session in the same venue without a crowd. Nontheless the album is superb. smile

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 648

Joined 2009-02-22

PM

Greenose - 05 July 2010 08:56 PM
Johnno - 05 July 2010 12:15 PM

To clarify, there was a live session recorded before a crowd, however the band were not happy with the results and re-recorded another session in the same venue without a crowd. Nontheless the album is superb. smile

Yes - I think that has been documented before.
Those of us that were at the original live recording in August will testify that it was a great show, but as Aynsley told me himself, the band hadn’t played that many gigs together at the time - they all felt that by the end of the Autumn tour they had really gelled as a unit and were playing and sounding so much better that it was worth going back. No doubt about that - read back through the tour posts and you’ll see many comments about how hot the live shows became as they got further into the tour.
Aynsley said they just didn’t have the time to sort out an invited audience again - I’m assuming they wanted the first slot available at the Tower to meet an anticipated launch date for the CD.
Like many others I wasn’t sure how it would work out - but there’s no doubt it captures exactly what the band are about. To me it sounds better than pretty well all Aynsley’s studio albums where session musicians often take the place of the regular band members. It’s officially my No1 Aynsley album now!

Ian

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Not much longer now till I get my copy

BB

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2008-11-04

PM

Just to clarify, I agree it’s Aynsley’s best disc to date.
I love Soundman and Purple Rain.
It’s Aynsley’s sleevenotes that refer to it as ‘Live’ but without an audience that are a recipe for confusion.

Bill Broonzy and Robert Johnson recorded directly into a microphone and no one uses the ‘L’ word.

I sincerely hope this approach to recording catches on - I’ve enjoyed hearing for instance Ana Popovic and Oli Brown recently on Paul Jones reworking studio cuts that have since been road tested and, more importantly, using their own bands as opposed to session players to do it.

Rank

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2007-06-25

PM

I LOVE this CD!! It’s a true representation of Aynsley’s sound. The last few CD’s have been too “nice” for me. I’m old and need some thrills. This one “does” it for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Love that guitar!!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 648

Joined 2009-02-22

PM

csiler - 12 August 2010 07:06 PM

I LOVE this CD!! It’s a true representation of Aynsley’s sound. The last few CD’s have been too “nice” for me. I’m old and need some thrills. This one “does” it for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Love that guitar!!

Hey Cathy - nice of you to drop by grin

It’s great isn’t it? And it’s a true representation of the whole band’s sound - the best band Aynsley has had around him in the years I’ve been listening to his music. It could well be my album of the year, despite me having all bar one track on previous AL albums. Nothing beats a live take.

Ian

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Not long to go now hope to catch him in September.

BB

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2011-10-26

PM

Newly registered, I want to say hello to the round first!

The way Tower Sessions was recorded needs to be continued. The sound has much more life than any studio overdub fiddling could ever have. Purple Rain says it all. I’ve seen Aynsley live first, then bought the CD. Purple Rain was impressive life. The recording saved the vibe on to the CD. I think that would have been impossible with a classic studio recording. Never mind, the other songs are great too and have the same liveness PR has.

I’d love to have more CDs recorded this way.