Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Albums → Thread

Aynsley Lister - Tower Sessions

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 686

Joined 2008-10-14

PM

WOW, WOW and WOW again. If like me you were a little bit apprehensive about this album then trust me when I say you have nothing whatsoever to worry about.  Simon’s drumming is superb, a fabulous driving bass line from Midus and Dan pulls the sound all together. As for the main man, if he has played better than this I would be very surprised. The production, which I thought would be the make or break of this album is quite superb, bright, powerful, and does it capture the ALB live sound, you bet it does. I know one or two people were not sure whether they were going to buy the album because they already had most of the songs, all I would say to that is that its worth £10 of anybodys money just for Purple Rain. It will blow you away, stunning doesn’t begin to describe how good a version it is.  I am on my second play of the album now and I don’t think that will be the last today, and the volume is up a notch or three from the first play, lucky I am detached or else pity the neighbours. I hope everyone else will feel the same and agree its been well worth the wait.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 648

Joined 2009-02-22

PM

Just broke my way into the plastic film - nice foldout presentation - the disc is in the slot!

Back later….................

Ian

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-02-22

PM

This is just sooooooooo ‘kin amazing!

Only half way through, but I can’t believe how good this sounds.
Great job guys!

Ian

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1440

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

My copy arrived today too. Only had a listen through it once in the backgriund due to time restraints today and I can certainly say it sounds excellent, and some of the songs sound better than the studio versions. Indeed my feeling is that this could be the CD that you recommend to friends as the first starting pojnt for Aynsley’s music as it’s a pretty good mix of his material, from the oldies like Soundman and Quiet Boy to the present with Hurricane and Early Morning Dew, and of course Purple Rain. I’ve heard a couple of bootlegs of this song, this one is far better! In brief summary highly recommended to both existing fans and newcomers to his music! smile

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-02-22

PM

Managed to squeeze in 3 plays of the album so far - each one with the volume cranked a little higher LOL .
I am seriously impressed with this recording. The producion has given us without doubt the true sound and feel of an Aynsley live performance - if only all the various sound engineers at the venues around the country could be relied upon to provide a mix like this!
Crank up the volume and you are there! Hard to describe just how good this is - and no - I don’t miss the audience noise.(Mrs Icon says she’s happy to add her own cheers and whistles too!)
I have all Aynsley’s back catalogue on CD except for those two rare early albums, but this is probably the one I’ll wear out first. What I love about it is that it demonstrates how a song can evolve and be more dynamic when played live. Yes the studio recordings are great, but usually they are new when recorded, and artists often improve on them as time goes on, but seldom get the chance to demonstrate that with a re-recording. Here we get all that extra energy and development that gets added through repeated live performances. And then of course there’s Purple Rain (Crank it up!)
As Duncan says, this is the disc to give someone for a first taste of Aynsley - how can anyone fail to be impressed?
And is it still a “live” album? Sure it is - crank it up (again), close your eyes, and you can smell those valves in that battered Marshall combo frying!

Congratulations to Aynsley, Midus, Simon, Dan, Alan and everyone else involved on a terrific album.

Ian

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1838

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Looking forward to it now.

BB

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

The Big Blue - 07 May 2010 10:26 PM

BB

Don’t tell me you are waiting til your next gig again to get a copy! LOL If so when it it? If I did that I’d have had to probably wait til December when he plays up here again! smile

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 686

Joined 2008-10-14

PM

Just a quick heads up for people going to launch at The Jazz Cafe. I have just found out that Jon Amor is supporting again, so its Dingwalls revisited. Oh and on play number 4 of the album, gets better and better with each hearing.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Greenose - 07 May 2010 10:31 PM
The Big Blue - 07 May 2010 10:26 PM

BB

Don’t tell me you are waiting til your next gig again to get a copy! LOL If so when it it? If I did that I’d have had to probably wait til December when he plays up here again! smile

June I believe.

You know I always like to get it from the man himself!!!

BB

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1035

Joined 2009-03-08

PM

What shall I do?
Actually I thought that I’d buy the CD on the next gig.
But when I read your comments that’s a pretty long time to wait ... for my area there are no gigs announced.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

Yes this album really is good. What I like is that it showcases both sides of Aynsley in a very good way, it has the blues songs of his earlier albums and the more contemporary songs together side by side and provides a balance of both presenting the best about his music. There’s certainly no attempt to disguise his blues roots with Soundman, Sugar Low opening the door and Quiet Boy! following Purple Rain as the first four songs. It’s clearly a band effort with great pictures of each band member by top Dutch photographer Marco. A great release for the fans and also probably the best starting point for people unfamilar with Aynsley to find out what he’s all about!

My suggestion would be, buy it now, then get another when you see him and give the first away as a present to a friend! smile

Apparently there’s been hundreds sold as pre-order, be nice to hear from some other buyers.

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2010-05-09

PM

Hi all, I confess to being another late convert to the cause!

Saw Aynsley for the first time at Ripley (I went along ‘cos I knew the guys in the support act) and was totally blown away by the band and Aynsley’s music.  This is what Blues is about.  Enjoyed the gig so much that I took a team of teenagers to the gig in Stockton, my son and his 2 mates, all good musicians who play in a prog band ‘The Analog Kids’.  We were treated to more impeccable music and chatted with Aynsley for the inevitable CD signing post-gig.  Having worn that CD out and now having discovered this site, I naturally pre-ordered the Tower Sessions CD - it arrived yesterday and has been on heavy rotation ever since.

What can I say - it really is the business, a cracking and faithful record of the band at the peak of their powers!  As you all anticipated, the version of Purple Rain is simply stunning, and the production throughout is tasteful and faithful to the ‘live’ article.  With the obvious exception of PR, it really is impossible to choose any standout track, they really are all that good, although I have a soft spot for ‘What’s it all about’.  My only complaint is that there is not enough of the album, it could easily be a double!  Perhaps some of the ‘missing’ tracks might turn up at some stage in the future? Big hint - especially ‘Slow Dancing…’ - as a cover, it is way better than the original.

Congrats to Aynsley and the band - a masterful effort that has restored my love affair with the Blues genre and made a 47 year old prog dinosaur very happy.

If you are reading this and have not ordered / bought a copy of the album, do yourself a big favour and acquire it immediately - you will not be disappointed.

Looking forward to the band’s next foray ‘oop North’.  Cheers!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3251

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

I’ll quote my mate at work to review the new CD:

” Its the dog’s b*ll**ks!!!”

‘Nuff said.

Mike

Signature

If there’s a Highway to Hell but only a Stairway To Heaven; it speaks volumes about the predicted traffic flow..

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

doodledog - 09 May 2010 09:52 PM

Hi all, I confess to being another late convert to the cause!

Saw Aynsley for the first time at Ripley (I went along ‘cos I knew the guys in the support act) and was totally blown away by the band and Aynsley’s music.  This is what Blues is about.  Enjoyed the gig so much that I took a team of teenagers to the gig in Stockton, my son and his 2 mates, all good musicians who play in a prog band ‘The Analog Kids’.  We were treated to more impeccable music and chatted with Aynsley for the inevitable CD signing post-gig.  Having worn that CD out and now having discovered this site, I naturally pre-ordered the Tower Sessions CD - it arrived yesterday and has been on heavy rotation ever since.

What can I say - it really is the business, a cracking and faithful record of the band at the peak of their powers!  As you all anticipated, the version of Purple Rain is simply stunning, and the production throughout is tasteful and faithful to the ‘live’ article.  With the obvious exception of PR, it really is impossible to choose any standout track, they really are all that good, although I have a soft spot for ‘What’s it all about’.  My only complaint is that there is not enough of the album, it could easily be a double!  Perhaps some of the ‘missing’ tracks might turn up at some stage in the future? Big hint - especially ‘Slow Dancing…’ - as a cover, it is way better than the original.

Congrats to Aynsley and the band - a masterful effort that has restored my love affair with the Blues genre and made a 47 year old prog dinosaur very happy.

If you are reading this and have not ordered / bought a copy of the album, do yourself a big favour and acquire it immediately - you will not be disappointed.

Looking forward to the band’s next foray ‘oop North’.  Cheers!

Hi Doodledog

A big warm welcome to the forum and many thanks for your post. When you get a chance you might like to look at some of the other threads in the top 10 for example your favourite track from the Equilibrium Album.

BB

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3251

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Hi Doodledog
Good to hear someone else enjoyed the Stockton gig. Like you, I’m also looking forward to the next time Aynsley & band visit us up north.

Mike

Signature

If there’s a Highway to Hell but only a Stairway To Heaven; it speaks volumes about the predicted traffic flow..

Rank

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2007-12-15

PM

Quality! I’d have loved to have been on the “Live Cd” having made a timed ‘yep’ on the Tower recording but I reckon you did the right thing. The sound is great, the levels great, the sound is amazing! This is your definitive “Best so far” CD. Love it! Let’s have another.