Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → General Discussion → Thread

Great British Blues Cup Semi Final Draw

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 686

Joined 2008-10-14

PM

Hard choice indeed for the people of Kendal. Real pity one or other of the venues hadn’t realised and made moves to avoid the clash. I must admit though I would be interested to know what the scores on the doors for each show was.  As for which one I would go to, no contest, The Aynsley King Band.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3088

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

jimmyo - 31 January 2012 04:09 PM

This thread was one of three that amused us a couple of years ago, provoking some interesting comments. It was started by R&B with the question “Assume that the two opposing artists are playing a gig at the same time at two different venues in your home town, who do you go and see?”

In a few weeks, the good people of Kendal are going to be faced with the problem for real! Whether by bad coordination or just pure bad luck, both at good venues, they must choose between Aynsley and King King!

Is that town big enough for both of them?

Hmm I just joined the forum as this was winding down, so missed out first time round.

In April, there’s an interesting clash coming up in Newcastle, in the shade of St James’. Up and coming upstart Oli Brown vs veteran ol’ pro Ian Anderson. While both very popular, neither have “home” advantage.
Over to the pundits…...

Mike

Signature

I wonder if T2 will be as big a disappointment as the original Trainspotting was to the railway enthusiast.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1035

Joined 2009-03-08

PM

Sometimes it happens that you have a ticket and then another good gig is announced.

10 March - Joe Bonamassa at Grugahalle, Essen. 2 tickets 4th row booked.

A few days/weeks after my purchase, a gig of Ian Siegal was announced for 10 March at Kulturzentrum Sinsteden and it will cost 6 Euros. WOW, my Bonamassa ticket is 65 Euros plus fees. Compared with ticket prices in Munich it’s still a bargain.

Anyway, I’m very glad it’s not the only gig of Ian Siegal and that I’ll be able to see him 9 March at Düren, 10 Euros.

I don’t think that Joe Bonamassa will disappoint ... but ...

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Okay, so here’s an interesting one - neither side is British, they’re both American, in fact, neighbouring states. While they’re not in the same town, they are in the same region (within 25 miles of each other).

Saturday May 6th 2012 - I give you…..

Hamilton Loomis @ Guisborough   v   Ryan McGarvey @ Hartlepool (tbc)

Any mad scientist need a volunteer for cloning expt?????????

Mike

Signature

I wonder if T2 will be as big a disappointment as the original Trainspotting was to the railway enthusiast.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-03-08

PM

mcraggs27 - 21 February 2012 01:58 PM

Okay, so here’s an interesting one - neither side is British, they’re both American, in fact, neighbouring states. While they’re not in the same town, they are in the same region (within 25 miles of each other).

Saturday May 6th 2012 - I give you…..

Hamilton Loomis @ Guisborough   v   Ryan McGarvey @ Hartlepool (tbc)

Any mad scientist need a volunteer for cloning expt?????????

Mike

Haha, I know that problem. That’s not funny.
Have just checked Ryan’s website - tour dates so far are far away.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 648

Joined 2009-02-22

PM

Well this thread getting bumped up again has helped pull me out of my winter doldrums.
I hate this time of year, but at least there are some gigs and new releases looming now.

I’d spotted the clash at Kendal a few weeks back - would have made a great excuse for a weekend up there if one had been Friday and the other Saturday. In the event, I couldn’t have done it anyway as my band has a gig confirmed on the same night now.

I’ve just become aware of a real dilemna in June when Aynsley plays at my closest blues venue the Robin 2 on 29th June. At the same time,Virgil & the Accelerators will be on stage at my second closest club, the Flowerpot in Derby, with Ron Sayer opening. Sheesh!

Ian

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Icon - 22 February 2012 11:58 AM

I’ve just become aware of a real dilemna in June when Aynsley plays at my closest blues venue the Robin 2 on 29th June. At the same time,Virgil & the Accelerators will be on stage at my second closest club, the Flowerpot in Derby, with Ron Sayer opening. Sheesh!

Ian

Hmm 2-for-1, that’s a tricky situation. I’ve only had one Aynsley related clash in the last year or so. Aynsley at his 2nd home, The Cluny against 24 Pesos at my nearest club, Sedgefield (and normally I’d back Sedgefield to the hilt).

However, we superheroes are not impervious to a femme fatale and Steph threatened to get all Peter Grant on me if I didn’t go…...Just kidding Steph…honest….put that mic stand down please….....

Ow!!!

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-03-08

PM

What shall I do tomorrow?

Gwyn Ashton, Schmülling, Bergkamen
or
Mitch Ryder, Piano, Dortmund
or
Bet Williams, Kulturrampe, Krefeld

I know, very different bands.
Think that it depends on how long I have to work, cause the first two concerts need at least one hour travel time. It’s a very weird route and one never knows.

And what to do on Friday?

Paul Camilleri, Topos, Leverkusen
or
Jay Tamkin, Nix, Enschede

There’s another chance to see Jay Tamkin, so that makes decision easier.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Ligho - 22 February 2012 07:16 PM

What shall I do tomorrow?

Gwyn Ashton, Schmülling, Bergkamen
or
Mitch Ryder, Piano, Dortmund
or
Bet Williams, Kulturrampe, Krefeld

I know, very different bands.
Think that it depends on how long I have to work, cause the first two concerts need at least one hour travel time. It’s a very weird route and one never knows.

And what to do on Friday?

Paul Camilleri, Topos, Leverkusen
or
Jay Tamkin, Nix, Enschede

There’s another chance to see Jay Tamkin, so that makes decision easier.

If we’re looking an hour or so drive time, I know how you feel; makes Saturday very interesting from my perspective:-
Aynsley @ Kendal
King King @ Kendal
Stevie Nimmo @ Saltburn
Russ Tippins @ Shildon

It looks a first like a “Nimmo” clash, but Kendal & Saltburn are opposite sides of the country, granted, almost the skinniest bit of the country..

Paul Camilleri is a new name to me, so I’ll have to check him out. Jay doesn’t often get up this way and I really like the lad, though sometimes I think I’m banging a lone drum, so until I pick up on Camilleri, it’ll be Jay for me.

Mike

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

jimmyo - 31 January 2012 04:09 PM

In a few weeks, the good people of Kendal are going to be faced with the problem for real! Whether by bad coordination or just pure bad luck, both at good venues, they must choose between Aynsley and King King!

Is that town big enough for both of them?

From what my sources told me, on advance ticket sales I think it was 5 - 2 to Aynsley. Don’t know numbers across the doors, but I can tell you Bootleggers was packed. I think it was at Brough when the lumbar support in the car got my spine back into shape.

Mind, something I learned in Workington back in 1989 still holds true - Cumbria Rocks!!!!

Mike

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Not the same town, but within 10 miles or so in the same county.

May 12th - I give you….

Virgil & The Accelerators  or   Eric Steckel; debut (?) UK appearance…..     
    Mainsforth Community Centre                 Hartlepool Cameron’s Club

confused

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Now that summer looks like it’s deciding to peep round the clouds (shhhh…don’t frighten it….) autumn tour dates are starting to filter out, and already I’ve a clash: September 28th;

Virgil & The Accelerators (+ Tracer) at Newcastle Cluny
or
Chantel McGregor at Durham Gala Theatre

Mike

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-03-08

PM

Coming weekend:

25 May: Ryan McGarvey or Layla Zoe or Roomful of Blues or Duvel Blues Festival or Pinkpop Festival
26 May: Grolsch Blues Festival or Layla Zoe or Duvel Blues Festival or Ribs & Blues Festival
27 May: Grolsch Blues Festival or Ryan McGarvey one and only acoustic gig (it’s real hard to miss the acoustic show)

And believe me that are not the only gigs taking place ... better this way than nothing at all

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Highlighted by the ding-dong of a scheduling clash between Aynsley @ Middlesbrough and Dr Feelgood @ Hartlepool….. match postponed….. I sat and went through upcoming fixtures and found several interesting match-ups:-

19th Oct - Larry Miller @ The Cluny v Wilko Johnson @ The Sage (Newcastle v Gateshead)-

20th Oct - Lewis Hamilton @ Hartlepool v Ben Poole @ Sunderland

27th Oct - Joanne Shaw Taylor @ Stockton v Chris Farlowe @ Redcar

3rd Nov - Dani Wilde @ Guisborough v Chantel McGregor @ Ripley

10th Nov - Simon McBride @ Newcastle v WT Feaster/Billy Walton @ Hartlepool

16th Nov - Hokie Joint @ Hartlepool v Buddy Whittington @ Sedgefield

17th Nov - Gerry McAvoy & Friends @ Newcastle v Buddy Whittington @ Sedgefield

1st Dec - Marcus Bonfanti @ Guisborough v Chantel McGregor @ Hartlepool

Gonna be a busy season!

Mike

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 544

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

mcraggs27 - 03 October 2012 10:31 AM

Highlighted by the ding-dong of a scheduling clash between Aynsley @ Middlesbrough and Dr Feelgood @ Hartlepool….. match postponed….. I sat and went through upcoming fixtures and found several interesting match-ups:-

19th Oct - Larry Miller @ The Cluny v Wilko Johnson @ The Sage (Newcastle v Gateshead)-

20th Oct - Lewis Hamilton @ Hartlepool v Ben Poole @ Sunderland

27th Oct - Joanne Shaw Taylor @ Stockton v Chris Farlowe @ Redcar

3rd Nov - Dani Wilde @ Guisborough v Chantel McGregor @ Ripley

10th Nov - Simon McBride @ Newcastle v WT Feaster/Billy Walton @ Hartlepool

16th Nov - Hokie Joint @ Hartlepool v Buddy Whittington @ Sedgefield

17th Nov - Gerry McAvoy & Friends @ Newcastle v Buddy Whittington @ Sedgefield

1st Dec - Marcus Bonfanti @ Guisborough v Chantel McGregor @ Hartlepool

Gonna be a busy season!

Mike

20th Nov, I want to got to Bootleggers in Kendal for the recording of Stacie Collins CD! despite desperately wanting to see lewis Hamilton.
Fortunately Chantel is doing three nights at Ripley, dont know which one yet but I’ll be at the Dani gig on the Saturday!
And it’s going to absolutely kill me to miss Hokie Joint at Hartlepool but duty calls at Sedgefield.

And of course its not just Chantel at Hartlepool, the support band is Albany Down! Really split on that date!