Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Gigs and festivals → Thread

Carlisle Blues Festival

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1439

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

It’s interesting how we come out with different viewpoints, I guess that shows how music can be so subjective. What I liked about Principato was that he was able to play and mix up different styles, not one song was like the previous. As for the Producers, Skinner is a good guitarist, with a great tone, but as a package it did not quite work for me. Jimmy I note elsewhere you mention they used to have a harmonica player, that may have made me enjoy them more - rather than that piano player - there was little in the way of interplay and for me it came across a little too polished, which is not really how I like my blues. Don’t think I don’t like it because it was not rocky though, as I loved Marcus Bonfanti’s acoustic set before hand. I hope to see him again soon. The day did belong to Ian Siegal though! I’m sorry to have missed Hokie Joint, and to a lesser extent the Nimmos (who really need to start putting together some new material).

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 686

Joined 2008-10-14

PM

Its intersting that Jimmyo mentions the orignal Producers had a harmonica player. When I saw them last Thursday they had a brass section with tenor sax and trumpet during the second set which gave the music a whole new dimention and a real lift.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4505

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Jeebers: not so much a dusting off as a full archaeological dig for this thread… I know, but I haven’t the patience for the usual Festival Season thread where a lot of these get lost anyway.

So, Carlisle; 27th - 29th Sept 2019 at the usual Crown & Mitre Hotel. Who can you expect this year?
Andy Fairweather-Low & the Low Riders: Stevie Nimmo Trio; Xander & the Peace Pirates: Ian Parker; Connie Lush;
Jon Amor; Guy Tortora; Kyla Brox; Sean Webster Band; Crow Black Chicken; Felix Rabin; Mike Bowden;
Zoe Schwarz Blue Commotion: Junkhouse Dog

Timings to be confirmed….

Signature

Let’s make some noise for Locksmiths - the original “key-workers”.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 789

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

mcraggs27 - 26 February 2019 10:11 AM

Jeebers: not so much a dusting off as a full archaeological dig for this thread… I know, but I haven’t the patience for the usual Festival Season thread where a lot of these get lost anyway.

So, Carlisle; 27th - 29th Sept 2019 at the usual Crown & Mitre Hotel. Who can you expect this year?
Andy Fairweather-Low & the Low Riders: Stevie Nimmo Trio; Xander & the Peace Pirates: Ian Parker; Connie Lush;
Jon Amor; Guy Tortora; Kyla Brox; Sean Webster Band; Crow Black Chicken; Felix Rabin; Mike Bowden;
Zoe Schwarz Blue Commotion: Junkhouse Dog

Timings to be confirmed….

And tickets are now on sale https://carlislebluesfestival.com/

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

The line-up for 2019’s bash looks like this:-

Friday 27th - Evening Session
Xander & the Peace Pirates
Sean Webster Band
Crow Black Chicken
Nick Steed 5

Saturday 28th - Afternoon session
Jon Amor Band
Felix Rabin
Guy Tortora
Zoe Schwarz Blue Commotion

Evening Session:-
RHR
Connie Lush Band
Stevie Nimmo Trio
Junkhouse Dog

Sunday 29th - Afternoon Session:-
Andy fairweather-Low & The Low Riders
Ian Parker Band
Kyla Brox
Mike Bowden & The A917 Band

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 789

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

mcraggs27 - 07 May 2019 10:39 AM

The line-up for 2019’s bash looks like this:-

Friday 27th - Evening Session
Xander & the Peace Pirates
Sean Webster Band
Crow Black Chicken
Nick Steed 5

Saturday 28th - Afternoon session
Jon Amor Band
Felix Rabin
Guy Tortora
Zoe Schwarz Blue Commotion

Evening Session:-
RHR
Connie Lush Band
Stevie Nimmo Trio
Junkhouse Dog

Sunday 29th - Afternoon Session:-
Andy fairweather-Low & The Low Riders
Ian Parker Band
Kyla Brox
Mike Bowden & The A917 Band

And, it looks like this is the last ever Carlisle fest, so make the most.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

That’s sad,‘cos I never got to go (never a convenient week-end), but at least with that line up they’re not going out with a whimper…..

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Stories of the demise of the Carlisle Blues Rock Festival may well prove to be premature…..

Phoenix-like, it will lhopefully rise again - Oct 2nd - Oct 4th, Covid restrictions willing at The Crown & Mitre Hotel, English Street, Carlisle, CA3 8HZ.

Confirmed line-up:-

Oct 2nd
Hamilton Loomis
Climax Blues Band
Trafficer
Starlite Campbell Band

Oct 3rd (Session 1)
Laurence Jones Band
Achievers
Dom Martin
Satin Beige

Oct 3rd (Session 2)
Band of Friends
Deborah Bonham
Cinelli Brothers

Oct 4th
Blues Caravan (Jeremiah Johnson, Whitney Shay; Ryan Perry)
Ian Siegal
Martin Harley
Dusk Brothers

However; note; these are still precarious times and the date has been put back as far as feasably possible but to ensure it goes ahead, the organisers are asking not so much that folk buy a ticket now, but to “pledge” in advance so that should the restrictions be lifted, there’s enough in the ante to make the event viable. At the moment the pot stands around 37%

Read thiis for more detail - https://carlislebluesfestival.com/pledge/

Signature