Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Gigs and festivals → Thread

Carlisle Blues Festival

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1427

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

You might think its very early in the year to be drawing your attention to a festival in November, however I think the Carlisle Blues Festival which takes place the weekend of 21st to 23rd November at the Swallow Hilltop Hotel will be of interest. The venue holds about 400 and will feature acts such as Sherman Robertson, Nine Below Zero, Ian Siegal, Rab McCullough, Jon Amor, Matt Schofield, Nicky Moore’s Blues Corporation etc.
Of most interest to Aynsley fans will be the Sunday programme, which features an acoustic set by Ian Siegal (who plays with his band on the Saturday), followed by the Aynsley Lister Band and then the festival is closed by the Matt Schofield Trio.
As we know Aynsley does not play as many gigs in the north of the country as we (and he) would like, so this festival is a good chance for anyone from Cumbria, the north east, south and central Scotland to catch up with the band in an intimate session and catch two quality British blues guys on the same date.

Tickets available now from http://www.carlislebluesfestival.com I pos.t this now as the single tickets for the Saturday session (featuring Sherman Robertson) have already sold out.  Sunday tickets and full weekend tickets I believe are still available.

Image Attachments

carlisleblues.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

So the Carlisle festival is almost upon us. So who’s going? Anyone want to meet up?

The lineup is:

Friday             Saturday                   Sunday
Sean Webster         Guy Torora*                Ian Siegal (solo)
Kyla Brox*          The Two Timers*              Aynsley Lister
Rab McCulloch*        Nicky Moore’s Blues Corporation*  Matt Schofield Trio
Nine Below Zero       Jon Amor
                  Olly Alcock Band feat. Roz Sluman*
                  Ian Siegal Band
                  Sherman Robertson

I know of quite a few of these artists and looking forward to hearing many of them for the first time. The ones marked with * are the ones I do not know much about.

If anyone has any information on them, I’m keen to know more smile

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1550

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

Looks like a great line-up - have fun guys - Nicky Moore plays down here in South London - I think he used to be in a rock group called Hackensack in the 70’s, but I could be wrong - I only saw his Blues Corp. the once, playing in a local pub in Forest Hill which used to have a blues night every thursday - now closed down and about to be converted into a block of flats!!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

I read on myspace today that Alan Nimmo will be there, as a punter I presume!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

IndyScott - 20 November 2008 10:16 PM

What the heck is a punter? Is it a patron or paying spectator?

A paying spectator, sorry for the lingo!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1550

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

Nice report Brit!! - re Matt Schofield, his style of blues is more on the jazzy side, whereas I think you are more of a rocker?? - the bass player Matt had a few weeks ago at Dingwalls played double bass (as preferred by many jazz trios) so it didn’t really make much difference to the overall sound. With Matts trio, the keys man usually belts out the bass lines. By coincidence, I was listening to Matts “Live Trio” album on the way to work today and think it is excellent. Matts jazzy blues guitar solos are fantastic, but probably not suited to the heavier rock/blues songs, which you probably prefer.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

As you may know I was at the blues festival for the weekend. The first couple of days I’d seen a variety of artists, some who I’d not heard of before and impressed my like Kyla Brox, some others that I was less interested by but watched none the less.  Saturday’s evening session had been good, with both Jon Amor and his band and the Ian Siegal band playing
high powered sets, despite some problems with microphones giving out electric shocks, and Ian having had his timeslot been eaten into by the local old timer playing in advance. Sherman Robertson completed the evening and showed himself to be a talented guitarist and showman.

The Sunday lineup was of particular interest to me, due to it being three vastly different young British players.  I joined Anna and her party at the front of the queue to ensure we took our seats on the front row.  Siegal seemed more relaxed and played a fantastic acoustic set with material ranging from a country style opener to John Lee Hooker’s “Groundhog Blues”. He was in a cheerful mood and spoke about the time he played one of his Howling Wolf soundalike tracks “The Dust” only to open his eyes at the end of the set and see Hubert Sumlin (Wolf’s guitarist) watching intently from the front. After some Tom Waits covers, he then used Aynsley’s slide on his encore “Mary Don’t You Weep”, which was a superb finale to his set. Seigal is an awesome performer and you can fully lose yourself in his music.  Catch him whenever he is nearby!

Then Aynsley and the band took the stage, no acoustic set from Aynsely this time as the band launched straight into “Falling Down”, “With Me Tonight” followed and then Aynsley said since this is a blues festival we’ll play you some blues and played Always Tomorrow.  He then warned that was as bluesy as they would get, and then band started playing Upside Down. As Lynne mention Midus’s bass cut out near the end of the song and then we saw the shortest version of “Angel” as the same problem happened to all the instruments! The band though were professional and soon got the set back underway, with “Balls of Steel”, “Time Is Running Out”, “Purple Rain” and “In The Morning”, before returning to an encore of “Everything I Need”. I agree “Hush” would have gone down well too. The band went down well and spent the early stages of Matt Schofield’s set selling merchandise to the audience including a very pleased American gentleman who remarked to Aynsley how overjoyed he was to finally see him live (if you are reading this mate, come on board and say hello!).

Schofield then came on with his trio and played a high energy set comprising primarily songs from the two Trio albums, including the songs “Compass”, “Sifting” and “Ear To The Ground”.  These were followed with a superb version of Collins/Cray/Copeland’s “Black Cat Bone” which allowed the full band to showcase their skills.  Whilst I would also like to hear one or two shorter harder hitting songs the band put on a very good show. Matt must be a photographer’s dream with a tortured expression for every guitar solo. More Collins was to come in the shape of “Lights Out” before they played “The Letter”. 

Matt had confirmed early in his set someone would be returning to the stage and he then called Aynsley to join him for the closing number “All I Need”, which brought the festival down to a good ending.  Matt and Aynsley spent several minutes trading licks before the song was finished.  Aynsley admitted later he was not too sure what he was to be playing, but it was an enjoyable occasion for those of us that witnessed it. I was pleased to bump into Spoons as I was leaving and wished him all the best for the future. 

It was a great day and a great way to see three great young talents in one room. I will link in some photos later and also my video film of the jam between Aynsley and Matt at a later date.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

Well here are the links I promised

Photographs of whole festival:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenose/sets/72157610041157063/

Aynsley jamming with the Matt Schofield Trio:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9C9Wyoi87oE

That’s it from me as far as gigs and reviews are concerned for this year, I look forward to reading others’ comments and reviews from now on! smile

Image Attachments

A.jpgB.jpgC.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2008-09-10

PM

Thanks for two great reviews, Lynne and Duncan. It sounds like it was a great festival (except for the power outage). smile

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2008-11-04

PM

Thanks for the reports and the pictures Duncan and Britbabe.
I was at a show by Julian Sas last weekend and Afterwards spoke to Julian about how much good blues is coming out of Britain right now.
Ian Siegal is just one of the many Brits that I hope will do some touring here in Europe next year - along with Dani Wilde, Eric Bibb, Cherry Lee Mewis and Aynsley again of course.

I really think there is something positive happening in the British Blues scene right now and your Carlisle reviews made me wish I was there.

By the time I get back to Portsmouth for Christmas everyone will be on holiday from the road I guess.
Anyone know if there is some good blues in Pompey from 19 - 31 December? 
No harm in hoping grin

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

Thanks for the comments guys.

Re Ian Siegal, he tends to prefer playing in Europe to the UK, looking at his website he has played places such as Lithuania, Hungary, Austria, Croatia, Sweden, Finland in the last year. He is particularly popular in Holland and Belgium and has some Dutch dates next month. He is definitely worth seeing.  He is actually originally from Portsmouth!
Add Matt Schofield to your list too, you do have Ian Parker and Oli Brown heading your way before too long though Johnno! smile

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

Well this year there was no Aynsley at Carlisle blues fest yet it did have a pretty good lineup with Hokie Joint and the Nimmos being two of the apparent highlights on Friday night, The Stumble and Earl Thomas on the Saturday. There were 400 at each of the three days.
I was there at the final day yesterday, was really good and I’m kicking myself a little that I did not make the whole weekend.  The first act up was Marcus Bonfanti. He was a late addition to the bill and had agreed to play at noon, before the advertised start time of 1pm. Happily for him there were well over half of the 400 people in attendance to watch him play a solo set. He was really good, warmed the ground with his banter between songs, while his self-penned songs plus a couple of covers including SRV/Buddy Guy Long Way from Home were well appreciated. He sold out of CDs after the performance.
Next up were the Producers. While the frontman Harry Skinner was a good guitar player, I found the music a little bland. Personally I found the music a little clean and without flair or distinction. Entertaining but not essential.
Tom Principato’s Powerhouse by comparison were far more exciting. They play a blend of blues/rock and New Orleans funk. The songs included a great raft of styles from the rocking to the melodic. This was their first concert in the UK and I’d highly recommend you see them if you have the chance.
Ian Siegal closed the evening. He played about half an hour of solo material, opening with Silver Spurs from his album The Dirt. These included Gallo del Cielo and Guy Clark’s The Cape. Then the band came on and they performed Groundhog Blues, followed by a good number of tracks from his new album, Broadside, and a Bo Diddley medley. There was a lot of variety in the material, some heavy slide guitar, some more reflective country blues, Ian even sang a little of Michael Jackson’s Bad and Wham’s Cut Loose along guitar lines. Despite not knowing the songs yet it was a great set. The band were invited back for an encore and played another five songs taking them well over the closing time of 6pm. These were all covers of The Band, Rolling Stones (Dead Flowers), Iggy Pop (Lust For Life) and the Beatles, which the band have not played together before and as Siegal said for themselves rather than the crowd. The guy has some balls to play these songs at a blues festival. The punters went home very happy! Those who are to see Ian at Leamington this weekend are in for a treat!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

Ok, no replies as yet. Pleasedo check out Tom Principato. He plays such a great range of styles and is an ace guitarist:

http://www.myspace.com/tomprincipato2

Too Damn Funky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYik2C2dxWw

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 678

Joined 2008-10-14

PM

Hi Duncan,

Glad you enjoyed yourself. I saw The Producers at The Brook on Thursday on the recommendation of Jimmyo. They played for over two hours in two sets and all for a tenner. I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed them and did not find them in the least bland. Whilst they are not on the rocky side of the blues I thought they were very entertaining, but each to there own as they say.

Paul

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 648

Joined 2009-02-22

PM

Greenose - 17 November 2009 10:09 PM

Ok, no replies as yet. Pleasedo check out Tom Principato. He plays such a great range of styles and is an ace guitarist:

http://www.myspace.com/tomprincipato2

Too Damn Funky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYik2C2dxWw

A new name on me Duncan, although when you look back at his career, he’s been around the block a few times. Like his style - mixes things up a bit, and does a nice take on the Santanaesque tracks. See he’s done some work with Joe Bonamassa’s early mentor, the late Danny Gatton.

His latest CD “Raising the Roof” is going on my wishlist. Thanks for the shout.

Ian

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 595

Joined 2009-02-11

PM

spurspaul - 17 November 2009 10:46 PM

Hi Duncan,

Glad you enjoyed yourself. I saw The Producers at The Brook on Thursday on the recommendation of Jimmyo. They played for over two hours in two sets and all for a tenner. I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed them and did not find them in the least bland. Whilst they are not on the rocky side of the blues I thought they were very entertaining, but each to there own as they say.

Paul

Spot on Paul. I’ve already posted on another thread how much I enjoyed seeing the Producers again. While I was really impressed by the musicianship of Tom Principato (& his bass player), he didn’t do as much for me as he did for Duncan.

Anyway, what a superb weekend in excellent company, with a wide variety of “Blues”. Special mention for Ian Siegal (the guy just wanted to keep playing), but the Nimmos were tops for me.