Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Albums → Thread

LIVE ALBUM

Rank

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2008-07-25

PM

Following the Autumn tour, we felt the the band’s playing had reached a much higher level than in previous months.
Aynsley returned to the Tower and recorded the live set again.
This was done at very short notice and there was no time to invite an audience.

Aynsley is now in the studio mixing the latest material. We fully expect the live album to now be released in the first week of May.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1556

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

Interesting - I guess all live albums have a lot of tinkering these days - all the trickery of modern technology - Dan needn’t worry about playing in the wrong key!!! LOL

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 490

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

Is it a live album in the truest definition then? Am I the only one who feels a bit kinda disappointed?

Signature

Hellhound on my trail

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

A bit - will they have to add “canned” applause?? - I wonder if they used any session musicians? - there we were, thinking we were part of the journey and now we’re not…...........oh well, I’m sure the album will be great…..didn’t another band do an album called Live Without an Audience?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1838

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Hopefully this means we’ll get the extended intro on Hush.

BB

Rank

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2008-07-25

PM

Just to qualify my mail above.

The new recordings were recorded in exactly the same way as in August. Live - same people - one take - no overdubs- no session musicians- no digital enhancements etc etc. Simply, after been on the road for over 30 odd gigs together, the band’s playing and most importantly performance levels(inc Aynsley) were of a much higher level than they were in August.
As each album released by Aynsley should be of the highest possible standard, we felt this move was in the best possible interests of Aynsley career.
I can only apologise to those who feel dissapointed by this action.  Alan

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

I’m sure we fully understand Alan - thanks for clarifying…..look forward to hearing the finished article…..

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

Hi Alan

There is certainly no need for an apology, those at the Tower in August had a free intimate gig and got the opportunity to meet up with some friends so irrespective of any end product Id say we were already well ahead.

And sure I do feel a bit disappointed in a sentimental way that the recordings made on that day wont be the ones used on the album but as you rightly say decisions about Aynsley’s career sit with you and him and whilst we may have an opinion that’s all it is.

I was one of the dissenting voices on the live album as being a touch self centred I already have all the studio tracks and saw him half a dozen times last year so for me what else does it bring? Now knowing that the live album is without a live audience Im probably even less likely to buy it. Im sure plenty of others would argue against this view but aren’t we talking re-workings of the same song? As an average punter I’m more likely to spend my hard earned cash on tracks I don’t own already rather than a different version of those I do.

Don’t shoot me, the forum is a way of views to be expressed and they may not always be supportive

Ian

Signature

Hellhound on my trail

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

The Big Blue - 10 February 2010 03:28 PM

Hopefully this means we’ll get the extended intro on Hush.

BB

I expect they’ll ditch Hush - Aynsley wouldn’t have got much of a reaction in the chorus, without an audience!!!  LOL

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

I tried to Laugh Out Loud Eldo but couldn’t find the switch …

Signature

Hellhound on my trail

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 686

Joined 2008-10-14

PM

Intersting, will Cliff now get a live version of his beloved Balls of Steel.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 686

Joined 2008-10-14

PM

Having had a bit of time to reflect on this I can see where they are coming from. Having seen the band on the last tour as Alan rightly says the level of playing and performance has definitly gone up a notch or three. When you look back to the days of Sarah and James, what a rockin trio they were, then we had Spoons and Jo, another great trio, but no better than what preceded them, in my opinion. But this quartet, I think they have certainly raised the bar as a unit by some distance. So roll on the beginning of May and release day.

Paul

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1838

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Mbcl - 10 February 2010 11:25 PM

I think they needed a heckle free environment wink

The Heckler will be disappointed!!!

Having said which I thought Aynsley worked off the crowd really well, as someone has already pointed out we are all well up.

For Ian R&B those going to see Aynsley for teh first time such as at the It Bites Tour and GLASTONBURY, will not have anything else so a live album will be fantastic.

BB

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1035

Joined 2009-03-08

PM

It’s good to hear news about the long awaited live album.
If I had been there - but I wasn’t : made an Aynsley lister evening with some friends at a Greek beach - I would be slightly disappointed to hear about that changes.
I hoped to see some of you in the first row.
But I understand the decision to make the best possible album. In the end it’s that what counts.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

BB The IT Bites tour is two months ahead of the release of the album? Glastonbury, you have a good point. I do also understand that this strategy works if he is to tour later this year as a support with larger new audiences; I guess we will wait and see.

I did make clear that my opinion was based on my own interest and understand that anyone who hasn’t bought his material before this is a kind of greatest hits catch up?

I do agree with Lyvergal that a live album is a live album which means with an audience and although the tracks are one take Im sure they would have stopped mid song if things weren’t right or indeed had another one take. There is also the ability to correct things in the studio. I have managed to expose my lack of knowledge on here before but to me the difference between a studio recording and an audience free session at a well appointed place like the Tower with the ability to edit is marginal.

Signature

Hellhound on my trail

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

Lyvergal - 10 February 2010 11:11 PM

Sorry, I don’t quite get this, how can you have a live album that does not have a live audience?

Surely the most recognisable feature of a live song is hearing the crowd applause in the background, cheer when the song ends etc. This is going to be very hard for the public at large to understand.

Maybe it will be called The Tower Sessions? - you don’t need an audience for live sessions. A lot of radio sessions are live, without an audience.