Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Gigs and festivals → Thread

Claypath Deli Durham

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 834

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

New venue new thread.
This is an actual Delicatessen,  just round the corner from the Gala Theatre, who for a few years have opened their doors after hours to put on some choice gigs. 
Being new here, I checked prior, and arrived early for food and drink. Which was pretty good pizza and a pop up brewery supplied a choice of two beers and wine. The beer btw was 6% and 9%. Crikey! I went for the 6% and handed my car keys over.
This venue only holds about 30 but more comfortable that the Launderette (gig venue) 2 miles up the road.

First up, was Paul Handyside, local folk singer I should have heard of but hadn’t. Started in the 70s with a band called Hurrah, first band signed by Newcastle label, Kitchenware. Very good, he had the look of Willie Nile about him.
Being a northern folkie, he had the obligatory song about a mining disaster, and that was his ‘sing a long one!
Headlines were Darlingtons Bubamara. Led by the pretty unique Ivor Pop, they take us on a tour of Mediterranean folk. Ivor has a great line in chat, fantastic in fact. I nearly swallowed his story about an old Russian folk song and it turned out to be Kate Bush Bambooska!
Never mind Mining disaster songs, Bubarama had a Genocide song! But sang in a different language it could have been a nursery rhyme for all I knew. Great entertainment though.

Next up in a month is a singer songwriter circle of Nick Drake songs featuring, Katherine Priddy. (Check her out Mike) rising very fast, she has just landed the support for Richard Thomoson that would cost you £50.

All in all, good venue, good people, good parking, great night. I’ll be back, as they say.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4826

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

tilerman - 07 September 2021 12:14 AM

New venue new thread.
This is an actual Delicatessen,  just round the corner from the Gala Theatre, who for a few years have opened their doors after hours to put on some choice gigs. 
Being new here, I checked prior, and arrived early for food and drink. Which was pretty good pizza and a pop up brewery supplied a choice of two beers and wine. The beer btw was 6% and 9%. Crikey! I went for the 6% and handed my car keys over.
This venue only holds about 30 but more comfortable that the Launderette (gig venue) 2 miles up the road.

First up, was Paul Handyside, local folk singer I should have heard of but hadn’t. Started in the 70s with a band called Hurrah, first band signed by Newcastle label, Kitchenware. Very good, he had the look of Willie Nile about him.
Being a northern folkie, he had the obligatory song about a mining disaster, and that was his ‘sing a long one!
Headlines were Darlingtons Bubamara. Led by the pretty unique Ivor Pop, they take us on a tour of Mediterranean folk. Ivor has a great line in chat, fantastic in fact. I nearly swallowed his story about an old Russian folk song and it turned out to be Kate Bush Bambooska!
Never mind Mining disaster songs, Bubarama had a Genocide song! But sang in a different language it could have been a nursery rhyme for all I knew. Great entertainment though.

Next up in a month is a singer songwriter circle of Nick Drake songs featuring, Katherine Priddy. (Check her out Mike) rising very fast, she has just landed the support for Richard Thomoson that would cost you £50.

All in all, good venue, good people, good parking, great night. I’ll be back, as they say.

Good to know; one for the black book.

Signature

“Never go on a journey with an eejit; you can always collect one when you get there.”
Billy Connolly