Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → General Discussion → Thread

Qobuz Download

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2020-01-02

PM

Hi All,

I wondered if anyone here has used the Qobuz download site to purchase Aynsley’s music? I have four albums in total, Tower Sessions and ‘Aynsley Lister’ both of which sound and play fine.I recently purchased Upside Down and Equilibrium which do not sound great. I stress this is not a comment on the musical content, but the reproduction of the music on my Hifi.

The recorded levels on Equilibrium in particular are way too high, meaning the album is digitally clipping all the way through playback. The result is high levels of distortion (not the good kind) at the speakers which is really tiring. I use an outboard DAC with level meters which rarely drop back from 0dB even in the quieter parts of the music.

I am not sure if the issue I am experiencing is as a result of the mastering of the CD or something wrong with the files I have downloaded from Qobuz. If anyone has the CD could you comment on whether it suffers from excessive loudness or if you have the Qobuz download, how does your sound?

Kind regards to all.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4363

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

jsco323 - 02 January 2020 12:43 PM

Hi All,

I wondered if anyone here has used the Qobuz download site to purchase Aynsley’s music? I have four albums in total, Tower Sessions and ‘Aynsley Lister’ both of which sound and play fine.I recently purchased Upside Down and Equilibrium which do not sound great. I stress this is not a comment on the musical content, but the reproduction of the music on my Hifi.

The recorded levels on Equilibrium in particular are way too high, meaning the album is digitally clipping all the way through playback. The result is high levels of distortion (not the good kind) at the speakers which is really tiring. I use an outboard DAC with level meters which rarely drop back from 0dB even in the quieter parts of the music.

I am not sure if the issue I am experiencing is as a result of the mastering of the CD or something wrong with the files I have downloaded from Qobuz. If anyone has the CD could you comment on whether it suffers from excessive loudness or if you have the Qobuz download, how does your sound?

Kind regards to all.

Hi jsco; Happy New Year & wlecome aboard the Forum.

Well, 1st comment is that you’ve started with a good spread of Aynsley’s earlier output. Tower Sessions being the “closer” on that particular phase of Aynsley’s career before he & Steph set up their own label, Straight Talkin’ and Aynsley Lister being his debut on the RUF label with 3 other studio and a thumping acoustic Live album following.

Have to admit, I haven’t heard of Qobuz, but then I don’t stream music from any platform, so I can’t comment on the source quality on that or any other platform. I prefer to get my CDs from “source” (ie the artist themselves) and I currently playing Equilibrium as I type (it’s the album I got hooked in to, still a favourite by any artist, so any excuse…) and on my system, there’s no oversaturation issues - the dials as flickering as fast as Aynsley’s fingers…

I know some of Aynsley’s older output, particulalry the RUF albums are getting harder to find outside streaming sources, but I recommend it’s worth the effort. The Manhatton albums like Tower Sessions & Equilibrium I think are available here or from Manhatton. Definitely though, get the self-label albums, Home & Eyes Wide Open; you won’t be disappointed. Best source, get along to one of Aynsley’s shows and he’ll happily sign them (can’t do that with a download) and you’ll get a great evening’s music too….

Signature

Moderator is typing…..........

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2020-01-02

PM

Thank you for the words of welcome. Just to update, I have traced my issue to an unfortunate combination of Hifi equipment not being at home with digital music mastered post 2005 ish. The problem varies from album to album, but I have now reverted to using the DAC that is built into my Network Player and the Equilibrium Album plays much better, meaning there is no problem with the Qobuz download.

I agree that I always prefer to buy the CD if possible and it is a shame that a lot of Ansley’s back catalog is not available at present. I should have mentioned I have got ‘Eyes Wide Open’ on CD and that also sounds much better when played back with the on board DAC.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4363

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Would you believe me if I told you my principal [Sony] CD player is pre-2005; in fact nearer 1995. Mind you, I did splash out on a Marantz player a couple of years ago. It only tends to get a bit “tetchy” with SACDs (surprising since they were a Philips/Sony collaboration). Through headphones, it still has a lovely, generally mellow tone though handles top & bottom end notes suitably enough for me. The headphones I use are Panasonic RP-HTF600Es or Audio-Technica ATH-M30Xs.

Signature

Moderator is typing…..........