Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Gigs and festivals → Thread

Northern Kin Festival

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 743

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

Second time out for this festival, reasonably priced with a pretty good varied line up and local to myself,being in County Durham (Stanhope)

Friday June 21st
Steve Harley and Cockney rebel
The Blockheads
Mad Dog McCrea
John Coghlans Quo

Saturday 22nd
The Alarm
Red Hot Chilli Pipers
Ferocious Dog
Lindisfarne
Skinny Molly
Holy Moly and the Crackers
Urban Voodoo Machine
Driven Serious
Gerry Jablonski

Checked the forecast, so 25 quid has me in a field in Stanhope in my deck chair on Saturday

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4168

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

tilerman - 19 June 2019 08:17 AM

Second time out for this festival, reasonably priced with a pretty good varied line up and local to myself,being in County Durham (Stanhope)

Friday June 21st
Steve Harley and Cockney rebel
The Blockheads
Mad Dog McCrea
John Coghlans Quo

Saturday 22nd
The Alarm
Red Hot Chilli Pipers
Ferocious Dog
Lindisfarne
Skinny Molly
Holy Moly and the Crackers
Urban Voodoo Machine
Driven Serious
Gerry Jablonski

Checked the forecast, so 25 quid has me in a field in Stanhope in my deck chair on Saturday

2nd Stage on Friday evening features The Seahorses’ John Helme doing 2 sets -  8:05pm and 9:30pm.
While on Saturday, Graeme Clarke from Wet Wet Wet will also be doing 2 sets - 5:05pm and 6.35pm. And Folk singer Brad Dear, also 2 sets - 2:45pm & 3:55pm.

And the address for your satnavs if you don’t know this picturesque corner of County Durham -
THE CASTLE PARK, STANHOPE, CO. DURHAM, DL13 2LU

PS - Think I’d still take a brolly though…..

Signature

Never let them tell you that size isn’t important: an uncle once told me that and all my new wallpaper fell off….

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

Well,what a great little festival this was. 2000 advance tickets sold, so I was expecting a traffic queue. With the gates at 11.45, I wanted to be settled in for for the first act at 12.00. But it seems, most people were camping and we ended up first in the queue. We were met with this enormous Big Top tent, so even if it rained, which it didn’t, we could have all got inside.
Their was a variety of food stalls, not two the same, and a few craft / clothing stalls and of course the obligatory festival hat stall.
With lots of familiar faces to talk too I didn’t get round to the acoustic stage much but the entertainment on the main stage was ample enough.
In Reverse order(typing laziness)

The Alarm- I never made it to the moss pit for these, flagging by then, but when you think that the ticket price was £22.50 the night before at Stockton Georgian Theatre and I paid £25 for the whole day, I reckon that’s a bargain

Red Hot Chilli Pipers - First time for me, entertaining but got a bit samey for me after a while

Ferocious Dog - Very Early Levellers sound, got a political for me but very good.

Lindisfarne - I don;t think I’ve swung together through the Clear White light for about 35 yrs, thoroughly enjoyed them

Skinny Molly - Southern rockers so of course you got wot it said on the tin, Sweet Home Alabama and Free Bird.

Holy Moly and the Crackers - First time for me (after 3 yrs of trying) brilliant,  nuf said. (two of them got married last week so some Honeymoon)

Urban Voodoo Machine -Love the theatrics, her with the big cymbals is my favourite! And the lead singer didn’t moan about talking during the sentimental ones because they didn’t play any, its a festival! At the end I liked the way the band, pressed the set sheets onto their face make up and passed them to the audience.

Driven Serious - One of my favourite Bands. If you didn’t know, As well as drums, they have acoustic guitar, Double Bass, Cello, Violin and Keyboards. And with a new fiddle player who has his own stage presence showing improvement. And after 8 yrs trying, there were 5 Driven Serious Tee Shirts there today. It pleased band leader Rob anyway

Gerry Jablonski - First on at Mid day, a sparse audience, but I enjoyed them more than I had for a while, Gerry had the huge stage to work with and danced around with his posturing.

No traffic again on the way out so home by midnight, I did feel a pull towards the camp fire parties though! But sleeping in the cold would have bought me to my senses!

Next week they have a scooter / Mod rally on, 7000 advance sold out tickets, might be a bit more manic.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Well, there’s been plenty of Fog On The Tyne these past couple of days, but at least you didn’t get caught by Stormy Weather before you had to Run For Home… to continue a “theme”...

Great to hear you had a blast at what, fingers-crossed, should become a kicking festival with big BANG for little bucks…

Signature

Never let them tell you that size isn’t important: an uncle once told me that and all my new wallpaper fell off….

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

mcraggs27 - 25 June 2019 07:14 AM

Well, there’s been plenty of Fog On The Tyne these past couple of days, but at least you didn’t get caught by Stormy Weather before you had to Run For Home… to continue a “theme”...

Great to hear you had a blast at what, fingers-crossed, should become a kicking festival with big BANG for little bucks…

Or as Rod Clements put it,  you can’t beat fog on the Tyne on the banks of the Wear

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Corbridge Festival this week-end; Reef (Fri), Fun Loving Criminals (Sat) & Futureheads (Sun) - hope the weather plays nice…

Only thing about Corbridge, on a usual day, best place to park is usually Hexham…. Nah, I’m sure all is in hand for the event….

Signature