Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Gigs and festivals → Thread

Ashington - White House (Unique) Social

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4269

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

A good tip-off here from Tilerman; once again it looks like Ashington is consolidating it’s reputation for low-key, quality gigs. Following on from the now quiet Fell-em-doon Club a local promoter (Mike Slaughter?) is now making a splash in the Wansbeck area at the White House Social Club on High Market in the town (NE63 8PD).

Two gigs coming up are:-
18th Feb - Ariel Posen
Singer/songwriter. Internationally-renowned guitarist. Producer. Solo artist. Member of the Juno Award-winning band, The Bros. Landreth.

11th March - Josh Smith
Josh Smith has established himself as one of the most versatile guitarists in blues music today. A South Florida native, Smith’s love for the guitar began at an early age and his varying influences, including B.B. King and Muddy Waters, are reflected in the music he creates.

Currently based in Los Angeles, Josh Smith’s amazing talent on the six-string has turned many heads in the music industry, leading to session work and touring nationally and internationally with various recording artists, including Ricky Fante, Benny Cassette, Kelley Hunt, 2006 American Idol winner Taylor Hicks and Grammy Award-winning artist/producer Raphael Saadiq.

Signature

Never let them tell you that size isn’t important: an uncle once told me that and all my new wallpaper fell off….

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Add to the above:-

29th April - Joey Landreth
Joey Landreth is anchored by the bluesy wail of electric guitars and vocal prowess.

Born and raised on the Canadian prairies, Joey Landreth has grown up with a guitar in his hands. Working as a side man through his teens and early twenties Joey grew up on the road, playing music across genres from gospel to country. At twenty-five Joey joined forces with his older brother as they worked on their first independent project The Bros. Landreth. The band was immediately successful, winning a Juno with their first album, among other awards across multiple genres. The band rose quickly to success turning the heads of musical heavy-weights such as Bonnie Raitt, John Oates and Jimmie Vaughan.

In 2016 Joey launched his solo career. With the rare ability to be at once vulnerable and open yet seriously blow audiences away with his musical proficiency, Joey’s career as an independent artist is expected to rise to great heights quickly.

Signature

Never let them tell you that size isn’t important: an uncle once told me that and all my new wallpaper fell off….

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Let’s face it, when you live midway between Durham & Darlington, Ashington isn’t exactly the first place you call to mind when thinking of a night out, especially on a Monday, is it? No. Good; then that leaves us “incomers” a chance to get some elbow room between the locals who clearly know they’re a on a good thing here, a very good thing.

Ashington has long had a reputation for finding and showcasing some of the rarer acts that would normally pass by the region, most recently at the now defunct Fell ‘em Doon Club but now, at the end of that same street,  the White House Social Club, under the hand of Mike Slaughter & family have taken up the baton and judging by last night’s show, are hitting the ground running; at the moment cornering the market for top notch Canadian artists, as well as a showcase for quality, local talent.

Okay, so it’s not the Good Will Social Club (Winnipeg) or Winspear Centre (Edmonton) or Massey Hall (Toronto) for that matter; it’s a discreet Social club in a N.East town, seating maxes out at about 150 with an audience that you can tell both appreciate and respect good music and musicians in a friendly atmosphere. The stage is a typical “club” stage, not large, but more than adequate, modest lighting but the sound is over and above what you’d expect. If there’s a niggle, then the car park is tiny but there’s more than adequate street parking and while not in the town centre, not too far a walk to local eateries.

The acid test; would I go again? My next ticket is already booked! Mike Slaughter is a genial host, loves what he’s doing and clearly has a vision of how he wants to proceed - power to that man & see ya again, soon.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 759

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

mcraggs27 - 19 February 2019 09:22 AM

Let’s face it, when you live midway between Durham & Darlington, Ashington isn’t exactly the first place you call to mind when thinking of a night out, especially on a Monday, is it? No. Good; then that leaves us “incomers” a chance to get some elbow room between the locals who clearly know they’re a on a good thing here, a very good thing.

Ashington has long had a reputation for finding and showcasing some of the rarer acts that would normally pass by the region, most recently at the now defunct Fell ‘em Doon Club but now, at the end of that same street,  the White House Social Club, under the hand of Mike Slaughter & family have taken up the baton and judging by last night’s show, are hitting the ground running; at the moment cornering the market for top notch Canadian artists, as well as a showcase for quality, local talent.

Okay, so it’s not the Good Will Social Club (Winnipeg) or Winspear Centre (Edmonton) or Massey Hall (Toronto) for that matter; it’s a discreet Social club in a N.East town, seating maxes out at about 150 with an audience that you can tell both appreciate and respect good music and musicians in a friendly atmosphere. The stage is a typical “club” stage, not large, but more than adequate, modest lighting but the sound is over and above what you’d expect. If there’s a niggle, then the car park is tiny but there’s more than adequate street parking and while not in the town centre, not too far a walk to local eateries.

The acid test; would I go again? My next ticket is already booked! Mike Slaughter is a genial host, loves what he’s doing and clearly has a vision of how he wants to proceed - power to that man & see ya again, soon.

As above, and finished before eleven for those not on half term or retired ha ha. Great first visit to Planet Ashington, won’t be the last

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

And apparently, its Free Dessert Monday in the local pub!
I’m in!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

tilerman - 19 February 2019 02:49 PM

I’m in!

We don’t normally endorse eateries here, but this place on Wansbeck Business Park beats Wetherspoons. I’ve just seen their menu - even Thursdays look good ( 2 steaks, grills or BBQ + bottle of wine for £20)...I’m pre-booking a table and picking you up at 5pm next time….

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Ariel Posen was a sold-out show, Joey Landreth is already sold-out and Josh Smith isn’t far behind.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Another “hot” date to add at Ashington:-

17th June - Mike Farris.... Touring new album Silver & Stone
The blue-eyed soul of powerhouse vocalist Mike Farris is truly something to witness. Farris gives all – and then some – at each and every goose bump inducing performance. Evocative, spiritual, and thoroughly entertaining, Farris is among the great voices of our time.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

mcraggs27 - 18 March 2019 08:24 AM

The blue-eyed soul of powerhouse vocalist Mike Farris is truly something to witness. Farris gives all – and then some – at each and every goose bump inducing performance. Evocative, spiritual, and thoroughly entertaining, Farris is among the great voices of our time.

And to show how this venue has taken off, half the tickets were sold in the first hour of going on sale, (Friday night) and after two days, only about 40 left.
Support is by the wonderful Elles Bailey,

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

tilerman - 18 March 2019 09:04 AM

And to show how this venue has taken off, half the tickets were sold in the first hour of going on sale, (Friday night) and after two days, only about 40 left.

WHAT!!! - Don’t say they’re just on BookFace? Can’t see them yet on Ents and Mike F’s site lists them but can’t access from this side of pond

Edit: - Sorted via We Got Tickets.... I got ticket - 35 left now…

Edit, Edit: - As of about 1pm, now listed on Ents…. Wouldn’t hang about….

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

mcraggs27 - 18 March 2019 09:54 AM
tilerman - 18 March 2019 09:04 AM

WHAT!!! - Don’t say they’re just on BookFace? Can’t see them yet on Ents and Mike F’s site lists them but can’t access from this side of pond

Edit: - Sorted via We Got Tickets.... I got ticket - 35 left now…

Edit, Edit: - As of about 1pm, now listed on Ents…. Wouldn’t hang about….

Heard last night, Mike Farris & Elles Bailey gig - now SOLD OUT

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

To quell any rumours, Mike Slaughter has categorically denied that there’s any chance of D:Trumpdog appearing at Ashington’s White House on the forthcoming UK tour….

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

After a top class evening’s entertainment yesterday, gotta give this a plug…..

The sell-out, fans’ favourite music event – Ashington Rocks – is set to return for the third time, to celebrate this year’s Northumberland Day! This year, the event will play host to local bands KVST, Percy & The Piglets (playing their fun Rockin’ Porkabilly tunes, Growing Robots, Sticky Fingers, musical duo,The Djooks, and bluesy, rock and roll band, the Cushion Creepers.

Tickets cost £10 and can be purchased from the White House Unique Social Club (tel: 01670 814091) or contact John Emery via Facebook. Ashington Rocks wristbands will also be available to purchase for £1 on the day.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

mcraggs27 - 19 February 2019 03:00 PM
tilerman - 19 February 2019 02:49 PM

I’m in!

We don’t normally endorse eateries here, but this place on Wansbeck Business Park beats Wetherspoons. I’ve just seen their menu - even Thursdays look good ( 2 steaks, grills or BBQ + bottle of wine for £20)...I’m pre-booking a table and picking you up at 5pm next time….

After a stop-over earlier this week - gotta give The Old Ash Dene a 6 thumbs up review….
Great food, Great staff, great atmosphere…

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Big coup a couple of weeks ago - The White House managed to persuade The Bros Landreth to kick off their UK tour a day early at their venue; Tues 12th Nov

SOLD OUT  5/9/19

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Keeping a Landreth “theme” going… Mike has announced:-

Mon 27th Jan - Ariel Posen

Signature