Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → General Discussion → Thread

No Sleep ‘til Mickleton - A look back at 2018 gigs.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4216

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

It’s cold outside and the paint’s peeling off of my walls”; so why not while a few minutes looking back over the gigs I saw in 2018?

January was an unusually active month, kicking off with an overdue first full show from Kyla Brox, bringing a soulful jazz edge to the Blues. And then an invite from John & Jane to walk on new paths, a bit of Steampunk/Folk from local band Driven Serious and some of their friends, who all impressed.

February picked up a pace with Tommy at Hartlepool offering two incredible “double-headers” that month; Red Butler making their ‘Pool debut with Danny Giles Band at the start of the month and Wille & the Bandits also debuting at ‘Pool, with the mighty Sean Webster. Again, walking a “folkie” path, folk-rock legend, Lindisfarne lynchpin Rod Clements did a sublime visit to Sedgefield’s Manor House. Meanwhile Chantel McGregor did a welcome and packed out return to Darlington Forum.

Again, Darlington Forum was packed for a showing by the still wounded Stevie Nimmo who delivered a storming set, armed with young Dave Devlin on guitar. Another debut,  this time at Newcastle’s Cluny saw Dan Patlansky really stretching out. It was probably a storming set by Rebecca Downes at Mickleton, but similar weather conditions disuaded me from seeing her return to the venue. However, no such qualms at the end of the month to stop me from witnessing the astounding Prog Wizard Steven Wilson at Gateshead Sage.

April, another full month kicked off with man-of-the-year Kris Barras returning to a headline slot at Hartlepool Supporters at the start of a phenomenal year for him. Back to the Sage and reconnected for the 1st time in 25 years with Marillion, and they’re still brilliant. And next up was a true legend; local lad made good, Bryan Ferry And then, a real surprise at Gateshead Sage, Kim Wilde; moving off the chicken-in-a-basket circuit and touring a new album with a real band every bit as hot as Blondie. Also at the Sage, but the 2nd room Ian Siegal dropped by with the Rhythhm Chiefs on their last tour together. Ending the month in great style, Hartlepool Supporters hosted RUF’s 2018 Blue Caravan with Mike Zito, Bernard Allsion and Vanja Sky.

May, and a trip to Whitley Bay’s Playhouse to catch King King riding high with the tasty Austin Gold supporting. And then Laurence Jones packed them in at The Cluny as did the re-grouped Federal Charm in Cluny2, making big noises.

June started off all Folksie, catching The Rails, but then getting back on track with Ryan McGarvey back touring and paying his dues at Hartlepool Belle Vue,with the much fancied Catfish supporting. Then after a 25 year wait, finally managed to catch Australia’s The Church, and well worth the long wait they were. All these impressive debuts, so why not Rebecca Downes turn, this time at Darlington Forum supported by a young frenchman who’s taken my ear, Felix Rabin; who also popped up opening the re-relocated Durham Blues Festival rubbing amps with Stevie Nimmo, Kris Barras, Laurence Jones, The Groundhogs, Chantel McGregor and Climax Blues Band.

It was almost too hot to rock in July, but by almost restorting to bathing in Pimms, I managed The Sage’s SummerTyne festival for a cool, stage headling set by Curse of Lono.

Still on the hot side, Cluny2’s coolness was a suitable venue for what’s now Buck & Evans annual Tyneside visit, this time armed with the promised new album. On the more folksie side of Blues, the Bank Holiday week-end was also a great opportunity to catch a riviting full set by Stoney Broke at Darlington’s Quaker House; another name to watch.

Into September and Sari Schorr and her re-built band shook the Pennines at Mickleton while the following day, Darlington did proud with their annual free festival in the Market Place. Then, another legend in what’s becoming an accepted, alternate setting, Rick Wakeman at Durham Gala with another “piano portraits” session; sheer bliss.

October, and Tommy once again was upping the ante with two very tasty doubles; Greg Coulson with Elles Bailey and Rainbreakers with surely New Band of The Year, R.H.R. (Troy)Redfern, (Jack J)Hutchinson, (Mike)Ross. That jeune homme Felix Rabin came up a couple of times, Whitby & Stockton, supporting the mighty Wishbone Ash and Ryan McGarvey came back to the Sage with a taster of a new studio album as well as welcome showing from Mitch Laddie.

A great return in November saw The Nimmo Brothers demolish Darlington Forum, probably the best gig EVER at the venue, however, Erja Lyytinen did a powerplay for title of Queen of Darlington a couple of nights later. Hartlepool, still doing double headers combined Billy Walton Band with Carvin Jones for a “Thanksgiving Special”.

And to December; a very special and intimate acoustic gig from Rebecca Downes with Steve & Tara at Sedgefield Manor will long live in the memory and no pre-Christmas run-up will be the same without Aynsley at Newcastle Cluny.

Now the light fades out, and I’m wondering what I’m doing in a room like this”.

Soupy twist….

Signature

Never let them tell you that size isn’t important: an uncle once told me that and all my new wallpaper fell off….

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 750

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

mcraggs27 - 18 December 2018 02:33 PM

It’s cold outside and the paint’s peeling off of my walls”; so why not while a few minutes looking back over the gigs I saw in 2018?

January was an unusually active month, kicking off with an overdue first full show from Kyla Brox, bringing a soulful jazz edge to the Blues. And then an invite from John & Jane to walk on new paths, a bit of Steampunk/Folk from local band Driven Serious and some of their friends, who all impressed.

February picked up a pace with Tommy at Hartlepool offering two incredible “double-headers” that month; Red Butler making their ‘Pool debut with Danny Giles Band at the start of the month and Wille & the Bandits also debuting at ‘Pool, with the mighty Sean Webster. Again, walking a “folkie” path, folk-rock legend, Lindisfarne lynchpin Rod Clements did a sublime visit to Sedgefield’s Manor House. Meanwhile Chantel McGregor did a welcome and packed out return to Darlington Forum.

Again, Darlington Forum was packed for a showing by the still wounded Stevie Nimmo who delivered a storming set, armed with young Dave Devlin on guitar. Another debut,  this time at Newcastle’s Cluny saw Dan Patlansky really stretching out. It was probably a storming set by Rebecca Downes at Mickleton, but similar weather conditions disuaded me from seeing her return to the venue. However, no such qualms at the end of the month to stop me from witnessing the astounding Prog Wizard Steven Wilson at Gateshead Sage.

April, another full month kicked off with man-of-the-year Kris Barras returning to a headline slot at Hartlepool Supporters at the start of a phenomenal year for him. Back to the Sage and reconnected for the 1st time in 25 years with Marillion, and they’re still brilliant. And next up was a true legend; local lad made good, Bryan Ferry And then, a real surprise at Gateshead Sage, Kim Wilde; moving off the chicken-in-a-basket circuit and touring a new album with a real band every bit as hot as Blondie. Also at the Sage, but the 2nd room Ian Siegal dropped by with the Rhythhm Chiefs on their last tour together. Ending the month in great style, Hartlepool Supporters hosted RUF’s 2018 Blue Caravan with Mike Zito, Bernard Allsion and Vanja Sky.

May, and a trip to Whitley Bay’s Playhouse to catch King King riding high with the tasty Austin Gold supporting. And then Laurence Jones packed them in at The Cluny as did the re-grouped Federal Charm in Cluny2, making big noises.

June started off all Folksie, catching The Rails, but then getting back on track with Ryan McGarvey back touring and paying his dues at Hartlepool Belle Vue,with the much fancied Catfish supporting. Then after a 25 year wait, finally managed to catch Australia’s The Church, and well worth the long wait they were. All these impressive debuts, so why not Rebecca Downes turn, this time at Darlington Forum supported by a young frenchman who’s taken my ear, Felix Rabin; who also popped up opening the re-relocated Durham Blues Festival rubbing amps with Stevie Nimmo, Kris Barras, Laurence Jones, The Groundhogs, Chantel McGregor and Climax Blues Band.

It was almost too hot to rock in July, but by almost restorting to bathing in Pimms, I managed The Sage’s SummerTyne festival for a cool, stage headling set by Curse of Lono.

Still on the hot side, Cluny2’s coolness was a suitable venue for what’s now Buck & Evans annual Tyneside visit, this time armed with the promised new album. On the more folksie side of Blues, the Bank Holiday week-end was also a great opportunity to catch a riviting full set by Stoney Broke at Darlington’s Quaker House; another name to watch.

Into September and Sari Schorr and her re-built band shook the Pennines at Mickleton while the following day, Darlington did proud with their annual free festival in the Market Place. Then, another legend in what’s becoming an accepted, alternate setting, Rick Wakeman at Durham Gala with another “piano portraits” session; sheer bliss.

October, and Tommy once again was upping the ante with two very tasty doubles; Greg Coulson with Elles Bailey and Rainbreakers with surely New Band of The Year, R.H.R. (Troy)Redfern, (Jack J)Hutchinson, (Mike)Ross. That jeune homme Felix Rabin came up a couple of times, Whitby & Stockton, supporting the mighty Wishbone Ash and Ryan McGarvey came back to the Sage with a taster of a new studio album as well as welcome showing from Mitch Laddie.

A great return in November saw The Nimmo Brothers demolish Darlington Forum, probably the best gig EVER at the venue, however, Erja Lyytinen did a powerplay for title of Queen of Darlington a couple of nights later. Hartlepool, still doing double headers combined Billy Walton Band with Carvin Jones for a “Thanksgiving Special”.

And to December; a very special and intimate acoustic gig from Rebecca Downes with Steve & Tara at Sedgefield Manor will long live in the memory and no pre-Christmas run-up will be the same without Aynsley at Newcastle Cluny.

Now the light fades out, and I’m wondering what I’m doing in a room like this”.

Soupy twist….

excellent year Mike.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2018-12-20

PM

Good!