Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → General Discussion → Thread

Most Unexpected Cover Heard At A Gig

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3780

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

To try and address the balance with the other new thread about most often heard covers, how about a thread about the songs you wouldn’t expect done “Blues”.

Okay, as a high-water mark, Aynsley’s take on Gnarls Barclay’s Crazy, or Red Butler tipping their caps to old mate Rag’n'Bone Man’s Human

So here’s a new one - Nat King Cole’s China Gate, done by Thorbjorn Risager & Black Tornado

Signature

If you believe in phrenology; you need your head examining…...

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

The Beatles’ Come Together.... by Australian one-man-band Claude Hay (supporting WATB last night).

Plenty more to say about this guy; I was well impressed.

From a previous tour - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KkcLHLWH4o
(as played on “Betty” rather than this tour’s “Loretta”)

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 651

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

mcraggs27 - 11 October 2017 08:18 AM

The Beatles’ Come Together.... by Australian one-man-band Claude Hay (supporting WATB last night).

Plenty more to say about this guy; I was well impressed.

Thought this might pop up. Great show supporting Wille and the Bandits.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Always good when Rebecca & the band launch into Ike & Tina’s Baby Get It On, as they did Friday night. However, I notice Mollie Marriott & Bad Touch as well as Vintage Trouble are starting to swing it towards the other thread…
(From The Cluny) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4JevTGQxQo

Makes up for their transgressions into the “Most Heard Covers”; Another Piece of My Heart & Rather Go Blind

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

Two ‘strange covers came to me tonight. (The late) Moreland and Arbuckle used to to do Tears For Fears Everybody used to rule the world. And Paul Liddell’s band once had some fun with Video killed the Radio star, hard to describe but maybe ‘Drunk punk’, is close!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Some would say strange or even bizarre at some of the covers and stuff heard last night at JW Jones’ gig at The Cluny, but I would call it fun. Opening with the surf classic Wham! and closing with a Ventures medley including Walk Don’t Run, Secret Agent Man; James Bond Theme, Hawaii 50, Apache, Misirlou and several others, taping into Jerry McGee / Nokie Edwards vibe. Biggest grin maker though was Simpson Theme in a BB King style…

How many can you recognise from this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vJXPxVg_ds

PS, on the Memphis Sun album, JW does a Bluesed-up cover of an olde Bryan Adams, Cuts Like A Knife.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Well, it seems that at Folk gigs anything goes in terms of odd covers and last Saturday we had prime examples of Driven Serious diving headlong into Ziggy Stardust as well as acoustically into Another Brick In The Wall..

However, top prize of the evening went to Bubamara on their marrying Arabic themes with Hebrew influences on Western Pop and coming up with a Bouzouki driven Money, Money Money as ABBA never imagined it.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Maybe not unexpected, given the sort of material Emma Wilson covered, but very welcome rendition of the old Ann Peebles’  I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down during her set on Friday at Darlington. Last good version was probably Paul Young, circa 1984.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

Gotta be a first at a rock gig, Dean Martins Memories are made of this! courtesy of Ronnie Semples Swamp Hoppers. They used to be Rockabilly but 60/70s blues and rock covers these days. The drunken woman who kept asking for Bon Jovi was out of luck.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Granted, an Eric Clapton cover may well be par of the course at a Blues gig, but I bet many wouldn’t expect one from his Pilgrim album, but on Friday night, Stevie Nimmo & band stripped River of Tears of all it’s Pop pretention and made it a classic.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Rory Gallagher is rarely heard these days, even in what should have been his 70th year, so it was a rare treat to hear RUF ingénue Vanja Sky tear into Bad Penny at Hartlepool on Saturday. Mind, playing Rory at Supporters Club almost guarantees a return booking from Tommy.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Not often you hear Buffalo Springfield’s For What It’s Worth at a Blues show, but then it was LaVendore Rogue’s show on Friday evening. Still, that was only going back to 1967, surprise on the evening was one from 1947, a cover of the Patti Page evergreen Tennessee Waltz.

Now on Saturday, I don’t know if it’s a regular in their set, or whether they were aware that Ed Sheeran was just up the road, but Catfish laid down a solid cover of the Foy Vance Make It Rain. (Sheeran did a killer take on the Sons of Anarchy -later series- soundtrack.) It’s a song I’d give a part my liver, my left kidney and a medium onion to hear Red Butler do, but looks like they’ve been beaten to the punch.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

mcraggs27 - 11 June 2018 08:40 AM

Not often you hear Buffalo Springfield’s For What It’s Worth at a Blues show, but then it was LaVendore Rogue’s show on Friday evening. Still, that was only going back to 1967, surprise on the evening was one from 1947, a cover of the Patti Page evergreen Tennessee Waltz.

Now on Saturday, I don’t know if it’s a regular in their set, or whether they were aware that Ed Sheeran was just up the road, but Catfish laid down a solid cover of the Foy Vance Make It Rain. (Sheeran did a killer take on the Sons of Anarchy -later series- soundtrack.) It’s a song I’d give a part my liver, my left kidney and a medium onion to hear Red Butler do, but looks like they’ve been beaten to the punch.

Plus, don’t forget Paul Simons “Graceland”, and The Stones, “Can’t always get what you want”.
And if you want to watch the last 30 mins of the show, https://www.facebook.com/john.tate.509/videos/1581113145333996/UzpfSTEzODE2MDkyOTcwMjYxNzo4Njk2Nzk1NzMyMTc0MTI/

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Here’s a good one for you; when was the last time you heard Trini Lopez’ If I Had A Hammer?

Sneaked into a song at The Church‘s Newcastle gig last night.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Quo’s Caroline;  all sirpped back, slowed down and bluesy…. Thanks Stoney Broke

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Okay then, how about this…...

R.H.R, for their closer/encore - Frank Zappa’s Willie The Pimp......

Signature