Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → General Discussion → Thread

Most Heard Covered Song.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3320

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Springing from a recent chat with [mega] gig goer Tilerman; what are the most covered song or songs you hear at shows? You know, the ones that make you inwardly groan “not again” and “I’m sure he wrote more than just that one”.
Nothing against the songs, or (usually) the way they’re done, but for me:-
Red House (now my usual toilet break)
Voodoo Chile (head for the bar, or out for a curry depending who’s doing it)
All Along The Watchtower
Superstition (so it’s not just Hendrix covers)
Rather Go Blind
Going Down
Old Love (more recent addition to the list)

Signature

Of course; I could be lying….

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 564

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

Pleased to say, after a weekend at Carlisle Blues Fest,  I didn’t cringe once.
I might get grassed up if I said rather go Blind. (spoke to Sean Webster on Friday who does the best version,)
I’m sure this thread will grow as time goes by.
First one from me is Spoonful, heard it 4 times at one Skegness!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Should do a companion “anti” thread - most unexpected song covered…. If you saw Thorbjorn Risager at the week-end, did he do China Gate? That’s a 1957 song by Nat King Cole from a movie set against the Korean War.

PS; agree with you John, for a man doing a woman’s song, Sean Webster “owns” Rather Go Blind  Sorry Rebecca…... 

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Voodoo Chile raised it’s head last night…. Wille & The Bandits....

Mind you, it was the 7"single version; and on Hawaiian style lap-jack, which made a change.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 564

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

I really hate this song especially today, when a hurricane hit the UK, Stormy Monday. Just sick to death of it. It is so not what I look for in a blues song. I think it’s the type of song that puts people off blues with miserable lyrics.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

tilerman - 16 October 2017 11:04 PM

I really hate this song especially today, when a hurricane hit the UK, Stormy Monday. Just sick to death of it. It is so not what I look for in a blues song. I think it’s the type of song that puts people off blues with miserable lyrics.

Normally I wouldn’t knock a bit T-Bone Walker, but when it’s used as a cliché... I get what you mean though, so don’t listen to Gloomy Sunday.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

You’d think that with 16 albums to his name, there’s be more to cover from Steve Earle than just Copperhead Road….. Thank you Skinny Molly on 28/10.

Please; someone do track 2 from that album - Snake Oil - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oTtl1Qk8TQ

Signature