Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → General Discussion → Thread

Aynsley in the US of A

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4556

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

On Saturday 15th July 2017 Aynsley is playing, if not his first US show, then a very rare one at the Playing With Fire Festival, Omaha. I could be wrong, but I think it’s his first time working in the US since recording the Pilgrimage CD with Ian Parker & Erja Lyytinen.

As well as his band, Steve, Boneto & Andy, he’s also bringing over Ben Poole and meeting up with Tommy Castro, so expect some fretboard fireworks.

http://playingwithfireomaha.net/

Signature

Moderator is typing….

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2012-04-05

PM

I introduced him to Tommy Castro, and Tommy wants to do a tour with him, but I guess getting him and band over here is a issue.  Even for the date that he played I think they lost money on the gig.

The only way some artists make money is on MERCH!  Now Tommy gets a nice check to play gigs, but that’s him who’s been a road warrior for 25 years, so much so, that he no longer even plays in Indianapolis, I used to see him 2 to 3 times a year, and he no longer plays the blues bar that he came to for 17+ years.  In the last 4 years I have had to travel to see him, including last night where he was in Muncie IN (home of BALL STATE University) to see.  He even said something about it’s been over 10 years since being at the club in INDY.

(When you get command 20 grand plus for a show, not many places can pay that)
Most bars don’t even break even on the door, they need to sell a lot of food and drink just to get that nut, and if not, how many times are you going to fork out big bucks just to not make a penny?  Not very much.

It sucks, because of all of the greats I have seen and now we no longer get any big names here, I have to travel to see the guys that I have supported since 1996.

Also, ALL love to play in Europe, they get good money, and the crowds show up like nothing here.

Last night was a free event, and there was maybe 200-300 people around 7 pm, the weather went south fast, I was in shorts and a T-shirt and we get there and it was 10-20 MPH winds and the sun was setting fast… it was COLD, dropped into the 60’s..  Before Tommy even hit the stage over half the crowd left…. HE rocked the place but it got so cold fast that nobody wanted to sit around in it.

Meanwhile back at my house it was 80 degree’s and no wind….  GO FIGURE!

Signature

GO RAIDERS!  FIGHT ON TROJANS!  “JUST WIN BABY”

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Yeah, it does look a lot like one-way traffic for bands coming over to Europe from the US while very little seems to go back the other way. I don’t know what the reason is, though in recent years the £s poor exchange against the $ can’t be helping. Aside from the trans Atlantic travel, there’s equipment hire, logistics and Visas to work out, though I wonder how it is so many can afford to record in Nashville which seems to becoming “ground-zero” for music recording. I suppose one cost cutting possibility for the likes of Aynsley would be to go over on his own and engage Tommy Castro’s backing band for a tour, for example.

The only way some British artists seem to have got round this is by moving over and settling in the US; Davy Knowles, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Matt Schofield and I don’t know if Oli Brown is still with his Canadian girlfriend, but he’s toured a couple of times in his hard rockin’ RavenEye guise.

I agree, Merch has to be a money-spinner, unfortunately a lot of people seem to be more into downloads than physical product: vinyl is attractive but how much does it cost to ship over 500 albums? That’s some weight to consider.

I know the likes of Ryan McGarvey spends about 4 months touring intensively round Europe (hardly a “down day”) while back home, he can barely get arrested outside New Mexico let alone a gig. Hamilton Loomis and Popa Chubby do reasonable visits and Sari Schorr is rising through the ranks on the heels of Beth Hart. Over here though, and probably the same for you in the US, a lot more venues seem to be closing down than opening up, nor does it help that most Blues Clubs here tend to be week-ends, leaving the week days quiet. I do know I’d like to see Travis Feaster back over here but I think he’s having problems getting representation. I’d also like to see Jason Wells, Ty Curtis, Eric Johanson & Eric Tessmer over here someday.

One thing that will probably make a big difference in coming months is the effects of Brexit and travelling between the UK and Europe (and if you don’t know what Brexit is, look on Google, though like us, you’ll probably be none-the-wiser).

Signature

Moderator is typing….

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-04-05

PM

mcraggs27 - 04 September 2019 01:30 PM

Yeah, it does look a lot like one-way traffic for bands coming over to Europe from the US while very little seems to go back the other way. I don’t know what the reason is, though in recent years the £s poor exchange against the $ can’t be helping. Aside from the trans Atlantic travel, there’s equipment hire, logistics and Visas to work out, though I wonder how it is so many can afford to record in Nashville which seems to becoming “ground-zero” for music recording. I suppose one cost cutting possibility for the likes of Aynsley would be to go over on his own and engage Tommy Castro’s backing band for a tour, for example.

The only way some British artists seem to have got round this is by moving over and settling in the US; Davy Knowles, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Matt Schofield and I don’t know if Oli Brown is still with his Canadian girlfriend, but he’s toured a couple of times in his hard rockin’ RavenEye guise.

I agree, Merch has to be a money-spinner, unfortunately a lot of people seem to be more into downloads than physical product: vinyl is attractive but how much does it cost to ship over 500 albums? That’s some weight to consider.

I know the likes of Ryan McGarvey spends about 4 months touring intensively round Europe (hardly a “down day”) while back home, he can barely get arrested outside New Mexico let alone a gig. Hamilton Loomis and Popa Chubby do reasonable visits and Sari Schorr is rising through the ranks on the heels of Beth Hart. Over here though, and probably the same for you in the US, a lot more venues seem to be closing down than opening up, nor does it help that most Blues Clubs here tend to be week-ends, leaving the week days quiet. I do know I’d like to see Travis Feaster back over here but I think he’s having problems getting representation. I’d also like to see Jason Wells, Ty Curtis, Eric Johanson & Eric Tessmer over here someday.

One thing that will probably make a big difference in coming months is the effects of Brexit and travelling between the UK and Europe (and if you don’t know what Brexit is, look on Google, though like us, you’ll probably be none-the-wiser).

My understanding is the cost of things, including the visas.  The best way is if you get somebody that is willing to “sponsor” the tour, they then pick up those costs, or at help to offset them.  The only way artists really make any type of money is through MERCH sales.  CD’s, Shirts, Posters, whatever.  That’s how they can make money.
When Aynsley came over I was going to try to help with whatever I could but things didn’t even work out to where I could get to the show.  Having stuff sent to a place (merch) and then a person local to area bringing it to venue would be best, but then what if you don’t sell everything.  You can to then try to get it back, or hold it until you return.  It can be more of a hassle.  Some guys go over and are able to tour for 3-6 weeks.  I know Mike Zito, Albert Castiglia, Tommy Castro, John Primer all have been over and some have dates coming up.  I think most are close to Germany, not sure, it’s been a while since I looked at the tour dates.
Our blues club, which is one of the top blues clubs in the USA doesn’t bring in the top guys anymore.  Tommy and Tab benoit haven’t played in Indianapolis IN since early 2000"s.  In turn the other artists that are managed by the same manager now no longer books any of his people, so we have to travel to Ohio or Northern IN to see bands that I used to get to see 10 minutes from home.
Sean Chambers is here this week and i’ll go see him, John Primer was here for 2 shows last week and I saw both of those in between some college football games.
Travis Feaster lives about 2 blocks away from me.  He plays some local clubs but it’s been a long time since i’ve seen him.  You are right, the other big problem is finding representation over there.  There’s a band called LOW SOCIETY that has a massive following and they were lucky to have somebody help them book gigs for a while, but it was just for a area, not the whole UK and rest of Europe.  I used to talk to Julian Sas’s agent and tried to see if he would have been willing to take on them, and other bands and his reply was “NO, can’t help with any of that, sorry” and from what a lot of artists told me, that’s the general reply they get.
Now granted some of these guys are commanding 10-30 thousand a show, not many places can afford that.  The blues club here mentioned that they don’t make anything on some of the shows.  Even selling tickets at 20-50 dollars , because the venue is small there’s just no money in it.  You (club/bar) makes money on the bar and food.  I always eat and drink when I go out, but how much I drink depends on if I have a driver to get me home, if i’m driving, I only drink for 2 hours and then stop, so i’m sober when the show is over, I always eat so I plunk down 30-50 on my night, plus if the artist has something for sale i’ll buy it.

I worked the blues fest for Primer last week,and people would come up and say “well I can get the CD’s on amazon”, yes you can, and all 3 that he had were $5 to $15 dollars more on the website, and you are not supporting the artist by doing that, PLUS John was right there and was signing each one.  That adds value, but to each their own.

Every artist that I know and have talked to LOVE going over there, it’s just hard to do. It is also the same for the guys over there to come here.  Hopefully something will work out so more can do both, but no matter what, get out, support the bands/artists, that’s truly the only way any will keep touring.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2008-09-10

PM

A couple of guys in the US on Facebook were asking if Aynsley had ever played in the States or was aiming to. I answered with a link to a rant/post from David Knopfler that hopefully sheds some light on the difficulties experienced by European artists when arranging tours of the US. You can read it here (you may need to log into fb to see it): https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2881833048503176&id=100000295279007

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Wooders - 13 January 2020 10:31 PM

A couple of guys in the US on Facebook were asking if Aynsley had ever played in the States or was aiming to. I answered with a link to a rant/post from David Knopfler that hopefully sheds some light on the difficulties experienced by European artists when arranging tours of the US. You can read it here (you may need to log into fb to see it): https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2881833048503176&id=100000295279007

Thanks for that Phil; I remember a while ago chillin’ with VATA and Martin talking about the costs about getting the lads over there for a tour - they were looking at £10K just for visas. Overall, I guess it’s a one way street (notable exception JST) but then look at Ryan McGarvey, 3 months in Europe pays his bills yet he can’t even get arrested outside New Mexico…

By the way - THREE posts in one day!?!  You after my job?

Signature

Moderator is typing….

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-04-05

PM

I think the only way that it works is if you get some sort of corporate sponsor to help offset the costs of things, otherwise there is no way for many to do it.  I know a lot do go to Canada, which is more friendly price wise.

That is a interesting post by the man, what I found interesting was he mentioned the EU. (European Union)  I had read something about that.  Did you know that the EU was set up in the 1930’s by Nazi bankers?  After the war, the same bankers were put in charge of it and that the EU today, is the same as what they set up in the 30’s.
Very interesting I think, something that was thought of by a group, put in effect and is still in effect today.

I would love to see some bands from over there but unless something changes, it doesn’t look like it will ever happen, unless I get to come over.

I know of a band here that goes over and they do well, they actually do better in Europe then here in the states.  They go over for 1-2 months and make enough to last them here for the other 10 months.  They are currently working on new stuff, so hopefully the states will be kinder to them with new music coming out.

Do the bands over there make the same amount of money from the streaming services and from SiriusXM?

Signature