Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Gigs and festivals → Thread

New Venues for Newcastle-upon-Tyne

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3320

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Anyone following the Tyne-Tees Gig Guide in recent weeks will have noticed a new venue for Newcastle appearing; Wylam Brewery.
It certainly seems to be getting a good start in 2017 with Wilko Johnson and King King, both bypassing Gateshead Sage to play their on their Spring tours.
By the sounds of it, they do a canny pint and a bit fair scran too. Should be worth investigating.

Full address is:- Palace of Arts Exhibition Park, Claremont Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4PZ, just off the Great North Rd.

Signature

Of course; I could be lying….

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

As one door opens, apparently, so does another one. A second place recently opened it’s doors in Newcastle; The Boiler Shop (20 South St, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3PE).
This is part of a development in what’s known as the Stephenson Quarter, just behind Newcastle Central Station and a short walk from the Metro Arena; the Boler Shop itself was an integral part of George Stephenson’s locomotive works in the 1820s. It’s already known to locals as a place for urban night feats and other food events.  Estimate it to be about a 1200 capacity, so maybe not competition for the O2, but might frighten The Riverside, which has been picking up recently.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

An American-style bar is set to serve bourbon with a blues soundtrack as Newcastle City Council has awarded it a licence.

Newcastle Nightlife Limited’s application to sell alcohol and play music in the basement below Nelson Street’s No.28 was approved on Tuesday after the applicant, objectors and council officers reached an agreement ahead of a planned licensing hearing.

The 60 capacity bar will play “non-amplified” live blues and “talking-level” recorded music. It will be housed in the basement below No.28, which has been open in the Grainger Market for six years.

The blues bar has permission to open until 2am, meaning it shuts an hour before its sister bar.

No.28 owner, Paul Skevington, said the new venue will be unique in Newcastle.

He said: “The theme of the additional area will be an ‘American-style blues and bourbon bar’. It will be the only one in Newcastle and will bring a completely new style of bar to the city, concentrating on talking level blues style music with a classic Americana style interior.”

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Not a NEW venue; far from it; but NEWS abut The Cluny, where Aynsley is as much an institution as the venue…..

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/business/business-news/cluny-newcastle-sold-former-manager-12806453#ICID=FB-Chron-main

Signature