Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Gigs and festivals → Thread

Darlington R’n’B Club

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3320

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Congratulations to the team behind Darlington’s R’n'B Club who this week-end celebrate their milestone 20th Anniversary. On September 4th, they are bringing back the first two bands that played in the Garden Bar at Darlington Arts Centre way back in September 1995; Pete Gilgan Band + Little Stevie & The Business

In more recent years, things have been tough for the club; with the closure of Darlington’s Art Centre, for a short time they were forced to de-camp to The Dolphin Centre (one of the venues used in the annual Free Marketplace R’n'B Festival), before finding a great new home at Darlington Forum.

Looking through their past records, Aynsley played 3 SOLD OUT shows at the old club between 2001 and 2007 - maybe a return visit is due…. as well as 2 appearances on stage for the Market Place Festival in 2002 & 2013, which has been happening almost as long as the club.

Once again, congratulations folks, and here’s to another 20 years.

Signature

Of course; I could be lying….

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Darlington R’n'B Club hit another milestone on September 9th, when they host Sari Schorr & the Engine Room; it marks their 500th gig.

What a tremendous achievement!!!!

To complete the celebrations, the annual free Market Place Festivities are the same week-end - Sunday 11th.

(That makes Aynsley’s December show #503…...)

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Great week-end of celebration for Darlington Blues Club; power-house performance by Sari Schorr at The Forum for the 500th gig, and the weather Gods smiled on the Market Place Free Festival on Sunday headlined by Band of Friends; great sets from all the bands, especially enjoyed Cadillac Kings and The Blueflies.

Now looking forward to #501 - Erja Lyytinen & #503 - Aynsley Lister

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 564

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

mcraggs27 - 12 September 2016 10:57 AM

Great week-end of celebration for Darlington Blues Club; power-house performance by Sari Schorr at The Forum for the 500th gig, and the weather Gods smiled on the Market Place Free Festival on Sunday headlined by Band of Friends; great sets from all the bands, especially enjoyed Cadillac Kings and The Blueflies.

Missed you again Mike, I saw a bit of the BlueFlies too. I concentrated on the fringe this year, actually saw about ten+ bands, (or bits of)  Best for me was the James O Hara Band. A last minute replacement but wow, they nailed it.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

tilerman - 13 September 2016 08:39 AM
mcraggs27 - 12 September 2016 10:57 AM

Missed you again Mike, I saw a bit of the BlueFlies too. I concentrated on the fringe this year, actually saw about ten+ bands, (or bits of)  Best for me was the James O Hara Band. A last minute replacement but wow, they nailed it.

Missed the James O’Hara Band, headed up to Quaker House but even with the gazebos outside my elbows weren’t sharp enough to get in to have a good listen (too much chat outside).

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Word from Mike Prendegast this morning; Aynsley’s gig at Darlington (Forum) Blues Club is now SOLD OUT

Just to further update; this won’t be the usual all-seater “caberet” style set up, closer to an all-standing with a few tables provided to those who need seating. This will be limited, so MIke P advises that if you need a seat, get there early to claim one. This was always going to be a sell-out show, so this way maximises the limited space.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Ask any Time-traveller, and they will tell you that certain events in the time stream must be fixed, like anchors, much like Aynsley’s near traditional visits to Newcastle’s Cluny; something we know we can look forward to each year. So then, that makes Aynsley’s first visit to Darlington Forum on Friday something more of an event; and what an event it was.
The evening’s festivities, since this was the R’n'B Club’s end-of-term Christmas party night, got underway in fine style with a lively set from local guys Alex Fawcett Band; a heady mix of Walter Trout & Rory Gallagher with an after-taste of Gary Moore. Alex and the band have a solid local following so watch for them when they spread their wings….
So, then, a well warmed up crowd, we were already for Aynsley to lay down the Blues shuffle opener as he did at The Cluny; but not tonight; tonight he went for the jugular and went straight into the driving All Of Your Love. Almost 10 years since Aynsley played Darlington R’n'B Club and it looked like he was out to blow the dust off. Blimey, he almost blew the roof off! Inside Out followed next, then the swaggering Il Grande Mafioso. Hyde 2612 has had a bit of a Crazy style make-over, as well as giving space for Steve Amadeo to give the bass a good workout while Sugar lets Andy Price loose on the keyboards and the first call & response duel with Aynsley. Troubled Soul / Kalina slow things down but showcase Aynsley’s more sensitive side where Handful of Doubt rocks it back up again, however on Stay, Aynsley really let rip on the guitar, making the ol’ Vibroverbs howl. Putting the Blues into R’n'B, a very tasty Champagne & A Reefer came along and mellowed everyone, again, Aynsley swapping runs with Andy. Don’t go thinking Boneto had a quiet night; while there were fireworks stage front, that guy was on his riser and was rock solid. Digging into the back-catalogue, Early Morning Dew vied with the new Other Part of Me.
The evening was drawn to a close with a sing-a-long Purple Rain - I did say this was the Christmas party…. And then the encore, and after a solid 100 minute set, Aynsley & the band tore through Tore Down.
So, Aynsley’s return to Darlington R’n'B, and an absolute stormer of a gig. The guys on stage were playing great and the atmosphere was relaxed and gotta give a nod to the sound guys at Darlo; I’ve seen Aynsley many times and the mix this night was amongst the best, better even than Durham Gala. No surprises that it was a sold-out event, like his previous, 7th Dec 2007 and the one before 8th Dec ‘08…. Hey, has somebody been rippling my time-stream…. or does it bode well for 2017?

Champagne & A Reefer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CL_pWYEm_4
(No, Aynsley wasn’t showing off by playing left handed…..)

Alex Fawcett - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWx2B3ozt9I

Signature