Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → General Discussion → Thread

Sky Arts - Guitar Star

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3320

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Did anyone catch this last night (or tomorrow if you’ve got “Catch-up”)?

Normally I’d shy away from such shows but 2 things grabbed my attention. Firstly the “warm-up” programme where notable “seitenhexers” discussed their major “icon”; loved Wilko’s tribute to Mick Green….

Secondly, the first heat programme came on, held in Cardiff and I almost choked on my coffee when none other than Chantel McGregor passed across the screen. WE already know she’s a star (and has 2 Blues awards to prove it), but she’s kept that quiet (on Twitter at least). Unfortunately, the clip of her piece wasn’t very long; if she did the solo from Daydream, that would have been it…..

Anyway, the premise of the show was to showcase guitarists of as many genre as are out there, and between Cardiff & Dublin so far, there are some amazing players from Jazz, Classical, Rock etc, so good luck to them all (but especially our Chantel).

SKY Arts - Tuesdays, 8pm

Signature

Of course; I could be lying….

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Commiserations to our Chantel; her rendition of Joe Satriani’s Up In The Sky, while technically what we’d expect from the “spangly” one didn’t quite tickle the judges’ ears enough.

Up in the Sky, (as done by Chantel with band) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3yyeUbTK_4

That said, from the other genres represented, there’s a young guy in the Acoustic (did Cannonball Rag) and a guy in the Jazz who were really outstanding to my ear.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Well, my Jazz pick, Will Hay got knocked out this week.

Next week is the turn of the Acoustics and my 2nd pick, Darren Hodge.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Darn it! that’s another “pick” who didn’t get through - I’d be keeping an ear out on Darren though; great talent and not yet 20.

It’s the Classicals next week…...

edit….... Picked up a copy of Darren Hodge’s Road to Nashville CD; 30+ minutes of some hot finger-pickin’ as well as a clever/gutsy cover of Superstition - solo/acoustic… A one-to-watch….

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

The 2016 Sky Arts Guitar Star kicked off this week. This time round, the panel is made up of Tony Visconti, George Benson & MiloŇ°.

This time round, it looks like there was only one National audition, held in London, and have to report that I didn’t see any familiar faces among the guitarists.
Looks as though they’ve already picked out their 8 (2 x rock, 2 x jazz, 2 x classical, 2 x acoustic) and right from the get go, 15y youngster Jake Heaton really shone out, though all the finalists were very high standard.

Signature