Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Gigs and festivals → Thread

Saltburn Blues Club

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 564

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

This was a new venue for me, but first of many visits I’m sure. On the North East coast between ‘Middlesbrough and Whitby the blues club is in The Spa Hotel, which by blues club standards is very ‘comfortable’, if not ‘plush’. Like all clubs, could do with a few more punters to keep it going, I’ll be doing my bit where I can, they have some ‘names’ coming in the new year which i hope do the business for them . Check it out if you want a day at the seaside. Discounted hotel rooms for blues club members..
http://www.saltburnbluesclub.co.uk/index.php

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

Went to support this club again last night. The original booked artist pulled out the day before (and not the first time this artist has done this) but a quick phone call to a newly put together duo, Street Corner blues saved the day. SCB are Chris James (guitar) and Martin Fletcher (Harp) Worth checking out.  Youtube vids of this gig will be out later this week.  Nice line in chat to which for me is just as important as the music side   This was only their third gig, on their first they won the NE heat of the New Brunswick blues awards! Not bad going.

PS won the raffle, Jo Harman ticket…get in!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3320

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

At first, you’d have to wonder if this club could survive in the shadow of 2 other well established Blues Clubs such as Guisborough and Redcar, but no doubt they’ve reached an accommodation between the three.

That said, good luck to them, and if we get any decent weather, I’ll be strongly tempted to have a run down.

Signature

Of course; I could be lying….

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

It was the support from redcar and sedgefield that saved the day on Friday. Needs more local support.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

wow 14 mths later and quite a few saltburn gigs under my belt, I witnessed the first sell out last week. Wille and the Bandits supported by Dan Owen, a great line up by any standard. It took Wille 11 hrs to travel to Saltburn, big thanks to them, for making the effort, puts some punters to shame when they cant be bothered to see a show when its on their doorstep! (rant over)
Wille treated us to acoustic and lap steel guitars while the engine room of bass and drums were much more than that. I didnt have a clear view of the drummer but percussionist might be a fairer description judging by all the different sounds coming out of the corner. Bass was mixture of electric and stand up bass, played with a bow at one point. I loved it but the blues police would have had him!
Great night had by all, well done to Harry Simpson for keeping Live Music going in his neck of the woods. (literally, in the summer as he does an outside gig in the woods as a fund raiser.

Harry has to use different venues these days after his original venue decided to put blues gigs on them selves. Bad vibes to them!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1036

Joined 2009-03-08

PM

tilerman - 29 December 2014 11:39 PM

wow 14 mths later and quite a few saltburn gigs under my belt, I witnessed the first sell out last week. Wille and the Bandits supported by Dan Owen, a great line up by any standard. It took Wille 11 hrs to travel to Saltburn, big thanks to them, for making the effort, puts some punters to shame when they cant be bothered to see a show when its on their doorstep! (rant over)
Wille treated us to acoustic and lap steel guitars while the engine room of bass and drums were much more than that. I didnt have a clear view of the drummer but percussionist might be a fairer description judging by all the different sounds coming out of the corner. Bass was mixture of electric and stand up bass, played with a bow at one point. I loved it but the blues police would have had him!
Great night had by all, well done to Harry Simpson for keeping Live Music going in his neck of the woods. (literally, in the summer as he does an outside gig in the woods as a fund raiser.

Harry has to use different venues these days after his original venue decided to put blues gigs on them selves. Bad vibes to them!

Wille and the Bandits could make it to Germany within 11 hours … would love to see them … and hang them high (the blues police)

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

Gigging like crazy this year and next, two gigs in germany so far if any good, http://www.willeandthebandits.com/index.php?page=upcoming-gigs Voted one of the bands to see this year at Glastonbury. I’m seeing them again at scarborough Blues fest in May

Ligho - 30 December 2014 12:08 AM
tilerman - 29 December 2014 11:39 PM

Wille and the Bandits could make it to Germany within 11 hours … would love to see them … and hang them high (the blues police)

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3320

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Nov 28th….

11th Hour change of bill at Saltburn due to Little Devils being short of a drummer (line-up changes) and having to pull out the gig.

Rather than the night going down the pan, Rebecca Downes & Andy Power Band have kindly agreed to step in. Should be a night to shake the rust off the pier…....

Signature

Of course; I could be lying….