Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Gigs and festivals → Thread

Boom Boom, Sutton

Rank

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2009-05-04

PM

Another first class performance from Aynsley last night at the packed Boom Boom Club. He told me afterwards that he’d been a bit under the weather, but this didn’t show at all in his playing or singing, or in his rapport. Half the set was about half the yet-to-be finished new album (due out in the spring-ish), and half were familiars. I didn’t keep a complete set list, but songs included Hurricane, Early Morning, What’s it All About, Crazy, Possession, Inside Out, and Purple Rain as the encore. I’ll probably remember more as the day goes on. I was listening to the Bob Harris show on the way back home to Essex, and he read with some pleasure a very long list of gigs that had been happening last night. No mention of Aynsley, so I emailed when I reached home. I haven’t played the programme back to find out it there was ever a mention, but nothing appears in the playlist. Shame. This guy needs wider recognition.

I hadn’t seen this particular line-up before (it’s hard to keep up with it), so Steve and Boneto were new faces to me. At the risk of being heretical, and mentioning no individual name or names, I’m not sure this is the best band Aynsley’s had, but it didn’t stop the man himself delivering a cracking set.

Looking forward to the new album, and the spring tour.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1830

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

The Set List was as follows:-

Big Sleep ( which has probably taken over from With Me Tonight)
Early Morning Dew  (I can never listen to the Album version again - this trumps it big time)
Times Running Out on Me
Inside out Really like this one if it was recorded by anyone of the trendy Radio 1 playlist it would be a no. 1 song without a doubt.
WIAA  (What’s It All About)The most voted for tune by Forum Members from the Equilibrium Album.
Possession A new song which will appear on the yet untitled new album.. Even Aysley doesn’t know what it is ton be called… Maybe he ask Forumees for suggestions.  Mine is Heckers may be banned!!!
Crazy Again who would want to listen to the Equilibrium version after hearing this live.
Sugar Another new song not to be confused with Sugar Low… sweet!!!
Home A new song similar in parts to WIAA.. this seemed shorter than previous outings I’ve heard.. perhaps I’m geeting familiar with it!!
Hero Classic and brilliant.
Feeling Good I like it and certainly Aynsley does a good version, I just wonder if this was dropped if there’d be more room for One of Aynsley’s own songs.
Insatiable A new song which I think may be in the set list for some time.
Hurricane Another popular song from Equilibrium
Purple Rain This has been around for a while… I’m surpised that Aynsley isn’t bored with it.. I think it’s now down from the 10 minutes of old to about 6 minutes long.

I give my review of the gig on the next post so as to not bore people with a lengthy post here.

BB

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1830

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

OK Here’s the review.

Firstly we saw at this gig a more confident and relaxed Aynsley that we have seen in many a year. This wasn’t the shy retiring Aynsley of a few years ago, this was the bullish up for it Aynsley.  Having seen the band a few weeks back at Chislehurst, this was a tighter, more controlled and more familiar band.  They worked exceedingly well together. The Sound system seemed to be well balanced, which is not always the case at the Boom Boom Club.

There was solid work all round, and I estimated about 140 people present at the gig.  This was an excellent gig, but yet to surpass the Black Horse festival where there were 400 people thriving on the Aynsley sound.

This may sound negative, but the guitar keyboard exchange seems contrived compared with those with Dan (that’s not taking anything away from Andre who I think is better technically).  Somehow it would be good to inject some fun for the audience back into this… It was always fun when Dan cocked it up… Maybe Andre is to good!!!

The New Aynsley we saw was happy to take on us hecklers, though he missed the point when we heckled with “Pass the Dutchie” after Boneto was introduced. (he used to be the drummer for Musical Youth). As Cliff wasn’t there we had to request Balls of Steel…. Aynsley you should lsiten to your fans more!!!!

Overall a great gig and another evening well spent Aynsley never disappoints in that regard.

Just a few other things, Sorry we haven’t me Stuart that would have been a great opportunity, other forumees in attendance were Eldo, Maggie and Lovestrats.

Basically if you are new here tell your friends about this excellent act.

The general comment is that Aynsley is a class act.

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-11-11

PM

Hi all. First posting here. I was at this gig with my wife and several friends last night. A good time was had by all! We’ve seen Aynsley several times over the years but recently he seems to have disappeared off the radar at our local venue (The Stables near Milton Keynes). My wife bearded him about this after the gig and he said that he’s had problems getting a booking there. I’ll have some words with the management!

Pilbury

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4594

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Hi Pilbury, and welcome to the forum. Great to read you’re a long-time Aynsley fan and that you enjoyed the show.

There was a comment on a thread a couple of months back, that Aynsley’s current tour seemed to be missing a few venues in the North-west; it’s not that Aynsley doesn’t want to play these venues, it’s often they or promoters won’t “pick-up” the band’s offer. Best way, knock on their door, or email them or just bug them and tell them that you’d like to see Aynsley play there. Also, if you know of any similar venues that maybe Aynsley hasn’t played but that you think he’d rock, suggest it to Steph and see what happens. The Spring Tour is already shaping up, but if there’s a gap needs filling…...

BB: - great review as ever. Looks as if the set and the band have fused into a really tight unit. Not surprised that Aynsley’s getting a bit ribbing with both Andre and Boneto working in Musical Youth - have you seen the YouTube of their reggae workout of WIAA in Switzerland last month? Guess you can take the boys out of Musical Youth, but you can’t take the Musical Youth out the boys…..

Guess there’s always going to be that debate between Andre & Dan; two totally different personalities on stage, but two superb musicians. Last time I saw Andre, his solo piece introducing Feeling Good went a little Mike Garson (check Bowie’s Aladdin Sane for an example, if not sure).

Glad to hear that Eldo, Maggie & Lovestrats are still kickin’; they’ve been quiet on here for a while; hope they’re back soon.

Mike

Signature

In other news; the Seven Dwarfs have been advised that as from Monday they can only meet in groups of six.
One of them isn’t Happy…

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1550

Joined 2008-05-31

PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytrnoWKMLlc&feature=relmfu

yeah - Feeling Good from the Boom Boom gig - sorry about my big fat head getting in the way at the beginning….............

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Aynsley was back at the Boom Boom on 27/9/13.  Found a clip of the encore, bit of an unusual one, but reports say that the Boss was suffering from a heavy cold. - Better stock up on the “Scottish medicine” Steph, don’t want a reprise of last year…....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvkPch507Dk

Signature

In other news; the Seven Dwarfs have been advised that as from Monday they can only meet in groups of six.
One of them isn’t Happy…

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 595

Joined 2009-02-11

PM

Good advice there Mike.

Good stuff on the video. Could’ve used a wee bit of Tim Brown though.

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-11-11

PM

One of my friends was at this gig and said that Aynsley only managed the first song of the set before his voice gave out. The rest of the gig had him using his guitar as his ‘voice’, apparently in an all-instrumental performance. Some excellent solos and jamming with the other guys I understand. I’d like to have been there!

Pilbury

Rank

Joined 2009-05-04

PM

That was really odd - I couldn’t remember posting a message about last week’s Boom Boom gig, but then I realised it was last year’s gig that opens this string.

It’s true that Aynsley was really suffering with his voice, but the show went on in true professional form. It was either that or cancel at a few hours’ notice I suppose. He opened with a couple of instrumentals, gave us a sung Purple Rain, and I’m not sure if over the set it was one or two more sung songs (I think two, though I can’t remember what either of them were, now). The rest was instrumental, either from his own catalogue or covers which better suited this approach. This included, in response to a suggestion from the floor (actually, a seat) for Apache. Very ad hoq, and cut very short! In fact, the whole set was an exercise in improvisation as nothing had been rehearsed as an instrumental. Aynsley effectively conducted proceedings, bringing in and fading out the other players as he saw fit. It’s a credit to the musicianship of them all that it worked so thoroughly well and without any dead ends or abject failures. It was certainly different! Aynsley was clearly looking in lousy health, but he kept his humour throughout and was, I think (and hope) bolstered by an audience who were willing him on, and wishing him better.

Hopefully, he’ll return and stay in good health, making this particular gig unique in his history.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Sorry about that Stuart; its a choice between opening threads for gigs or creating a sort of timeline for regular venues. Still, you found it and thanks for the interesting review.

It sounds like shades of last year when Aynsley’s voice went right at the end of the gig at The Cluny but was too little notice to cancel Kendal the following night; that show had a lot of improv and a friendly local who pitched in where he could. Always enjoy Aynsley’s gigs, but bet it was an experience to see and hear the band cut loose; mind, if you’d said Aynsley did Wonderful Land instead of Apache I’d be swearing right now, especially if nobody got it on camera. Meantime, here’s a couple of the instrumentals:-

Hideaway - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN0mImO83Oo
Little Wing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYIz3_N66MM
So Long - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUb371keGaw

Here’s hoping the voice is back at 100%, not only for this week-ends 2 shows but for the long run through Europe for the rest of the month.

Signature

One of them isn’t Happy…

Rank

Joined 2009-05-04

PM

No problem. I’m just easily confused, which this proves!

Thanks for the links.