Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Gigs and festivals → Thread

Shildon Civic

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2009-04-30

PM

Anyone know what time Aynsley on stage for the Shildon Civic Gig. Gonna be late getting there due to work but wanna make sure I don’t miss Owt

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3364

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Hey Homer,

I’d guess he’ll be on around 9pm. Only one band on opening, local boy Tom Atkinson.

Some parking tips for out-of-towners; Park View, where the Civic is situated isn’t greatly blessed with parking spaces, and be careful with street parking as its also the road to the Police station. You could street park round the block on Central Parade. Don’t be tempted to use Morrison’s car park (just off Church St.) as they lock it off after they close; 10:30ish. My suggestion would be to turn off Main St. for Dene St. (corner of Bargain Booze) as if you were heading for the football ground; about 100 yards up on the right is a good sized car park not a bad walk for the Civic.

Mike

Signature

Of course; I could be lying….

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Absolutely cock-a-hoop about this gig – Aynsley & band virtually in my backyard! Only Tilerman’s done better – Aynsley at his club and BluesShow (Gary G) featuring Aynsley on his radio show. Still, the guys took a chance with a new promoter and a new (to them) venue and pulled off a spankin’ night (as if the outcome was ever in doubt).

As it turned out, we got two opening bands, the first being The Sugar B’s. Rousing and romping covers band, think Dr Feelgood with a little Bad Manners. Great stuff and set a really good vibe for the evening.

Next up was the Tom Atkinson Band; a local group I like to keep my eye on as I think Tom has a lot of potential over than relying on solely covers. This evening I’m glad to say the band premiered a batch of original songs, so fresh they were hardly even titled before closing with a couple of Cream standards. Compared to the likes of Virgil, Mitch & The Mentulls, Tom maybe a comparative “late-bloomer”, but he’s earned his dues round the clubs and it’s great to see him spread himself. Hope there’s an E.P. on the way soon.

And then the turn of the main man; treading where only Wilko has trod before. Joined by the now established nucleus of the band, Steve Amadeo on bass and Andre Bassing on the keyboards and “for one night only” the Joe Bonamassa of the drum-kit, Wayne Proctor. The guys delivered another blazing show, based round the set reported earlier from Chiselhurst:-

The Big Sleep
Running Out On Me
Inside Out
Crazy
Early Morning Dew
What’s It All About
Possession
Sugar
Home
Feeling Good
Hurricane
In The Morning
Encore Purple Rain

You’ll have to forgive me if the running order was a little different, very rare I’m not designated driver, so the cider was flowing freely. However, was aware enough that the sound was one of the best I’ve heard for an Aynsley set, while the atmosphere didn’t quite reach Cluny or Bootleggers level the guys won some new fans, among the familiar faces that travelled down from Newcastle & Hexham. The musical chemistry between Aynsley & Andre keeps getting more and more impressive - Andre’s now in my top 3 keyboard players and Steve’s bass-work is never less than astounding.

Well done Aynsley & team for another cracking gig, and to Shades of Rock team for getting Shildon Civic on the events map.

Mike

Signature

Rank

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2011-11-22

PM

Sound provided by Stevie Wright (brother of Jonnie - front man of Sugar Bs - and a fine musician too)
Stage announcements by The British Blues Awards Independent Blues Broadcaster Of The Year and host of the Blues show on BishopFM - me!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Still a bit “foggy” round the edges, so my apologies for the omission. Haven’t drunk like that for a while and by my own theorum I know I’m gettin’ old.

Great to meet you Gary - one day we’ll have to have a good chin-wag.

Mike

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 595

Joined 2009-02-11

PM

Sounds like a cracker Mike. No more than you deserve!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 573

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

needless to say, had a ball on friday.  Thanks to Steph and Aynsley for donating a signed tee shirt for our (Sedgefield blues) raffle. Even bought tickets myself!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

jimmyo - 08 October 2012 02:59 PM

Sounds like a cracker Mike. No more than you deserve!

Was a real treat to have Aynsley & the gang in town. They’re a great bunch off-stage as well as on. All power to the Shades of Rock guys and for future ventures in the area (Shildon Blues Festival feat. Larry Miller & Mitch Laddie in Nov and Letz Zep in the same month). Just hope they can work along with the Sedgefield guys so they don’t step on each other’s gigs…hint.

At the end of the night, walking home, watched the tour bus thunder down the road round Hackworth Park, the logo flashing in the streetlights, I can remember thinking, if I’d tucked away on that I could have had a couple of days in Switzerland before they’d notice…....cool smile

Mike

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Doesn’t look like the Shildon Blues fest is going ahead on the 18th Nov, unless anyone knows different…Gary? However, the Letz Zepp on the 24th Nov is unaffected. (Though some of us may be in Reeth than night…....)

Big news is, Russ Tippins is organising the big charity all-day rock event, RONNINGTON again in February (23rd). More rock than blues, but for a good cause and dedicated to a really top bloke. Line up to be announced.

Thanks Tilerman for the tip-off

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Deviating away from Aynsley I know, but thought this news would be worth sharing.

The Russ Tippins’ organised cancer chairty event RONNINGTON was held at Shildon Civic last Saturday. From what I’ve heard, the day raised £4,000 for charity. As well as the billed local bands, I have heard (but not been able to confirm), Ian Parker came up and did some numbers with Russ’ band.

Great effort by all involved, in tribute to a music-lover who made me and Tilerman look like stop-at-homes.

Mike

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 573

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

Agree, ‘Stop at home’ I was this weekend. At least I’ve got King King and Marcus Malone next weekend!