Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Gigs and festivals → Thread

Greystones,Sheffield

Rank

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2011-11-27

PM

Took all the family across to see Aynsley at the Greystone pub last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. A nice surprise to see Simon back on drums for a one off show. In actual fact Simon and Steve on bass seem to hit it off and produced a really good set together.
On this one off showing I must admit that Steve brings a lot more to the table than Midus ( and I really like Midus ). The combinations of Steve and Simon with Aynsley and Andre probably produced the best sounding ALB I’ve heard. I particularly like the way that whenever I see the band Aynsleys solos seem different for each song.
The new tracks sound great live and hopefully will go down well on the new CD. Hopefully Aynsley will have another couple of standout tracks for the CD also ( similar to Hurricane and Whats it all about).
One thing I’d like to see is the new stuff on Vinyl…any chance Aynsley…..I’d buy one !!

Neil

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3320

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Thanks for the review Neil. Only been down to Greystones the once, but really liked the place and hope to make a return visit. Simon S sitting in on drums again? He covered a gig over in Kendal earlier this year and did a great job. Its testement to Aynsley that if and when he needs to, he’s got such mates to call up on.

I’ve noticed a few bands lately having vinyl available on new albums, The Producers were one, and Cable Car Records from Germany who handle Henrik Freischlader & Layla Zoe seem to do them. Don’t know what the cost implications wiould be, but if there’s interest, then maybe Steph and Aynsley will look into it.

Mike

Signature

Of course; I could be lying….

Rank

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2011-11-27

PM

I must admit i still have a preference for vinyl,I guess its an age thing and I’ve never actually broken a vinyl record whereas I’ve quite a few CD’s that don’t play anymore.
Regarding Simon,
I just think his sound and energy fits the band. Saying that whoever has been on drums I have always enjoyed Aynsleys gigs.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-07-04

PM

Was at Greystones too and throughly enjoyed the evening, the second time I’ve seen the AL Band (first was at Lowdham). I thought the line up ‘jelled’ really well though I hope Steve is enjoying himself, he looked a bit tense at times.

The new songs are great and I really look forward to the new CD. It was the first time I’d heard ‘Crazy’ live - loved it even though I’m not a fan of covers (I hoped we’d got away without ‘Purple Rain’ but no such luck - your self-penned songs are strong enough Aynsley, esp. ‘Hurricane’!)  Simon was superb on drums - made me think of Animal in the Muppets, such energy! (sorry, Simon). I’ve a disagreement with the friend who introduced me to Aynsley, he reckons Dan is better on keyboards but I say Andre (only heard Dan with Aynsley w/o the band at the Old Ship Inn). We’ll see, we’ve two more (maybe three) ALB gigs later in the year, Lowdham, Bristol and maybe Greystones again.

Purple Rain is playing now - can’t get the picture of the Lowdham Lovelies ‘dancing’ to it out of my head - we were behind them unfortunately…

Rock on…

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Hi Dave, and welcome to the forum. Thanks for your views on the Greystones gig, always good to compare notes on how the band is doing at different venues. Have to agree, Simon is a superb drummer and you can catch him again at Greystones in September doing his “day job” with Jon Amor.

Trying to decide betwen Dan or Andre on keys though is tricky; both are quality musicians and both bring their own thing to the party. Sticking my neck out, I’d say Dan is the one for the rockier stuff and Andre does more on the mellow side; certainly on the duo/semi-acoustic stuff Aynsley & Andre are a perfect pairing, especially if you’ve heard the recent site downloads such as (warning-cover version) John Mayer’s Slow Dancing…..

Have to say though, all this swapping about you could be forgiven for thinking you were at a King King gig.

Mike

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Just realised, Aynsley’s last gig of 2012, scheduled for Greystones on Dec 22nd, is the day after the World is supposed to end - 21st Dec, 2012.

Maybe it should be advertised as “The First Day Of The End Of The World” gig; unless anyone has other suggestions?

Mike

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Ay-Up
Tomorrow’s gig at Greystones falls on the Save The Children’s - Christmas Jumper Day. So here’s a suggestion, why not turn up in yer Christmas ganzie and donate a quid - that includes the band….
How about it Steph - you hold the kitty….?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y71iDvCYXA

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 595

Joined 2009-02-11

PM

Now he tells me.

Though fortunate really, because I don’t posses a Christmas jumper!

Nevertheless, a superb gig & a wonderful evening. Thanks Steph & Ayns!