Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Gigs and festivals → Thread

Mickleton Blues Club

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 637

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

Thought I would mention this ‘Village Hall’ venue, near Barnard Castle in the North East. Now in it’s tenth year of bringing music out of the towns and citys to the ‘dales’.  First discovered it when Aynsley played there a few years ago, a group of us went, and thought, if they can do it, why can’t we. hence Sedgefield Blues club came to be.
A regular visitor there is Albert Lee, played Madison Square Gardens one week end and mickleton the next! 
Heading over there this evening to see Marcus Malone. (playing ‘ours’ later in the year but why wait!)’

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3697

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Finally, paid my long-overdue first visit to Mickleton last Saturday night, to catch Sari Schorr; (and what a sophisticated, young urbanite like her was doing in such a rural setting, I’ll say more later).

After negotiating the precipitous car-par, we were knocked out by the warmth and friendliness of the organisers and regulars. Good sized room, set out cabaret (but theatre style would more than double capacity, depending on fire-regs), nice sized stage, well lit; fair bar in adjacent room, all kind of reminds me of Ripley. The organisation is efficient and “homey”, a lot like Guisborough. In all, a very welcoming place to spend a Saturday evening with folk who may be out in the wilds, but appreciate and enjoy quality, Live music. Oh, and the best pie & pea supper this side of the New Roscoe in Leeds

Changed a little in the recent years since John started this thread; a name change in fact; they’ve dropped the “R’n'B” from their name and are known now as “Mickleton Live”; partly to reflect the range and breadth of what “R’n'B” has become these days, and partly to attract the younger audience who think R’n'B is just for the oldies.

Couldn’t help but notice on the walls, huge, signed posters of the great and the good who have played there over the last 17/18 years, most recently our good mate Rebecca Downes, and the one above my table for the evening, a certain Aynsley Lister, co-signed by Andy & James T, so that was a while back (July 2002 in fact). So, doing my usual “street-team” bit, the locals want to know after you’ve finished swanning around the Adriatic, when are you heading back up Teessdale?

Signature

All those who believe in psychokenesis; raise my hand….....

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 637

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

Yes, cosy little place. The green room upstairs is better than your average cupboard bands sometimes get random armchairs and settees and a winning table they can all sit around to have a home cooked meal. A real treat when you’re on the road

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3697

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

tilerman - 17 September 2018 07:58 AM

Yes, cosy little place. The green room upstairs is better than your average cupboard bands sometimes get random armchairs and settees and a winning table they can all sit around to have a home cooked meal. A real treat when you’re on the road

Had to think for a minute there, because of the large, lurid green neon sign for the “little framer’s rest-rooms”.

Signature

All those who believe in psychokenesis; raise my hand….....