Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Gigs and festivals → Thread

The Grand - Bishop Auckland

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4710

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Just thought I’d give this place a quick plug as had a canny night there on Friday. Not the most prestigious of venues, has to be said, this little Edwardian railway hotel nestled under a railway bridge less than quarter of a mile from Bishop Auckland station (and that’s strecthing the prose - a bungalow between Halfords and B&Q’s carparks….)

Anyway, they regularly hold “live” music nights on a week-end for local bands, often free, but occassionally they cast the net out a bit, hence Mitch Laddie, in a room that will comfortably seat 50 club style, maybe 100 standing. Think it’s also a “real ale” pub which will explain Hobgoblin on draught at £2 per pint. I’d put it on a par, size and sound, with Three Tuns in Gateshead. Keep an eye on as there might be the odd, surprise gig.

Real ale, Live Music - and cheap!!! Sounds like a winner to me.

Mike

Signature

“Never trust a man, who, when left alone in a room with a tea-cozy, doesn’t try it on.”
Billy Connolly

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 816

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

The more live music venues the better, too many bands not enough venues

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 816

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

popped along to see Poplar jake on friday. Told the manager I would plug it if he gives me the heads up

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Sadly, another venue that’s been forced to close it’s doors this month here in the N.East. More for local and starting-out bands, but bands like Russ Tippins and Mitch Laddie have shaken its foundations recently.

Signature

“Never trust a man, who, when left alone in a room with a tea-cozy, doesn’t try it on.”
Billy Connolly

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Pleased to report it looks like the dust covers have been pulled off this little venue. Not sure if it’s “new management”, but they’re putting gigs on for a Saturday night.

Upcoming:-
18/1 - Suspect Devices
25/1 - On The Rocks
1/2 - Rabble Rousers
22/2 - Shooter
8/3 - The Sheiks
15/3 - Paul Rose Band

Signature

Billy Connolly