Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Aynsley Lister Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Aynsley Lister → Gigs and festivals → Thread

Aynsley goes to ‘Toon….. The Cluny, Newcastle.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3251

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Aynsley and The Cluny; go as well together as Aynsley and that big, red Fender.  It’s hard really to know where to start doing this review; The Cluny (for those who haven’t been) is one of those venues that has such an electric atmosphere as soon as you enter and Aynsley is one of those guys who have charged it up over the years, so you know it going to be a great night before the first note is struck. There’s such a rapport with the venue and crowd, the band is very relaxed, yet once they start into “Big Sleep”, well nobody’s sleeping as Aysnley, Midus, Andre and Paul are super tight and don’t let up for the next 100 minutes.

Set List is pretty much as posted for Beaverwood, but no harm in listing it again, though I think there was slight juggling between Crazy, Soul and Home:-
Big Sleep
Early Morning Dew
Time’s running Out on Me
Inside Out
What’s It All About
Crazy
Soul
Home
Hurricane
Hero
Feeling Good
Insatiable
In The Morning
Possession
Encore:-Purple Rain.

New songs, boldened, sounding really good with their “on the road” polishing; going to be very interesting next year when the new album comes out, how they end up in the studio; it’ll be an interesting poll. Inside Out has one of those deceptively hynotic rhythms that sneaks up and gets the feet going. Home, to me sounds as if Aynsley is flirting with the recent interest in old rock’n'roll that seems to be creeping about lately, and to my mind, not a bad direction to take.“Crazy” is a little different to the album Equilibrium album take, Aynsley doesn’t use it as an acoustic break though he uses his “home-made” semi acoustic on it; he sets down a New Orleans’ style rhythm while Andre counters it with a funky Stevie Wonder style on the keyboards, result is magic.  Feeling Good, the Nina Simone cover has been worked on since the last tour and is sounding very good. Especially impressed with Andre’s lead run, some of the best keyboard work I’ve heard this side of Don Airey or Colin Towns; even our man was impressed. Insatiable and Possession, the last 2 new songs, very strong stuff, think they’re going to match up to Hurricane and Hero in future sets.

So, that’s the songs, as I said before, the band were relaxed and tight; Aynsley on cracking form; Midus, brilliant as ever, as acknowledged by her own branch of the “Toon Army” supporters; Andre, a revelation on keyboards, some fun call & response with Aynsley and “that” solo run; finally, Paul on drums, the guy who keeps it all together and powers through. That should charge-up the batteries at The Cluny for a while. For those interested in such things, nearly 150 folks were energised by the show. Great going home with a satisfied car full.

In short - well FAT wiff some bangin’ nu tunes + legend band. Qwaliteeeeeee

Just a quick thanks to Steph and Aynsley for their generosity and good chat; made a great night a bit more special.

Mike

Signature

If there’s a Highway to Hell but only a Stairway To Heaven; it speaks volumes about the predicted traffic flow..

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Fri, Nov 30th ‘12.

Ah, you know it’s winter and that corpulent guy is packing his sleigh when Aynsley’s attentions turn towards Newcastle & The Cluny. Virtually has the feel of a “hometown” gig; Aynsley & the band are “up for it” and so is a packed Cluny and boy, was it a great evening despite Aynsley fighting a re-curring cold.

First set just lifted the place, Steve and Boneto (Bunny) driving the set along, Aynsley & Andre threading arpeggios between each other for all they were worth. I’m not usually down the front, but made an exception and what a joy to watch Aynsley rake, sweep, hammer and slide on his 3 chosen guitars. Thing about being down the front, you get a “clarity” of sound from the monitors and have to say, of the new songs, Inside Out sounded pretty amazing.

Short break, and the guys were back on for the second set which was kicked off with Hero, appropriate as it turned out, as Aynsley was fighting heroically to maintain his vocals, though from the audience, you wouldn’t have noticed. In the end, In The Morning was dropped as set closer and Purple Rain was moved up while he could still manage it (and avoid being exiled to Sunderland). Under the circumstances, an encore was doubtful, but Aynsley and the band came back on, and odds were on it being Quiet Boy! and indeed a blues shuffle that would dispell any doubters that Aynsley’s lost his “blues mojo” kicked up and the man managed a couple of verses before bringing the night to a rapturous close.

I don’t know if anyone managed to hear anything Aynsley said durning his signings after the show; but hope the voice was recovered enough for Kendal & Edinburgh. I haven’t been on-line over the week-end, so I’m assuming they went ahead. They were determined not to cancel, and we bounced round a couple of names should a substitute vocalist was required.

Mike

Signature

If there’s a Highway to Hell but only a Stairway To Heaven; it speaks volumes about the predicted traffic flow..

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Fri 29th Nov ‘13.

How does that song go? “The boys are back in town”; that’s the one. End of November and Aynsley & the band are on that pre-Christmas run-up part of the tour of which The Cluny is an integral part: a venue with a great buzz, a packed Geordie audience that’s well up to rock out and after a “chilled” gig in Reeth, a band that’s rested and wired like top athletes ready for the big event. A win-win situation for everybody.

Their entry onto the stage may be low key, as well as the intro to Big Sleep, but as soon as it kicks off, nobody is sleeping and the Early Morning Dew is soon burned off by some of the most fiery playing I’ve heard from Aynsley And The Cluny “itch” isn’t just restricted to the main man, Steve’s bass runs almost matching him for speed and dexterity; Andre may look the coolest guy on stage but he’s every bit as “locked-in” as the rest, underpinning Aynsley’s fire with smooth washes, or matching with some searing runs of his own. And this is all brought together and steered along by Boneto, now occupying the drum stool for a year that has seen his style become an integral part of the overall band sound.

From Hyde on through the set to Possession,there’s just that indefinable something extra in the air, like a “homecoming” gig. There’s a reciprocation between band and audience that’s amplified by the building; the result is the perfect Friday night and that’s nailed by the Purple Rain encore.

Absolutely stunning show; never disappointed with Aynsley’s shows, I just feel they’ve found another notch and turned it up.

PS - noticed Bluebell filming like mad in the corner; I’ll leave it for her to post them.

Signature

Rank

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2012-12-11

PM

AWESOME GIG!!!!!!!!!!  :-D   Good to have a little chat with Steve too.

Bluebell6581 youtube channel for vids, though because I was so close to the stage the sound quality is not what I would have liked for some parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwY0Eisbg5c    = Early Morning Dew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5IxmTeO6RQ    = Feeling Good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlkCQqA3usY      = Sugar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEC2Y0pcUys    =  Home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUPRLdvKog0    = Purple Rain Encore

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Thanks for that Bluebell, great to have a record of Aynsley’s gigs. Hopefully we’ll be getting some stills from the gig soon. Photographer Tony D was down front and snapping away. He’s signed up to the forum, just waiting for his account to be verified - and to make sure he’s not going to sell Chinese Onesies or Mexican Haemorrhoid preparations.

Check the twitter, you can see a shot of his, Aynsley re-tuning between sets.

Looks like we’re gathering a strong “forum buddies” group here in the North-east; maybe we should think about organising our own Christmas bash/get-together; Aynsley’s next Cluny gig? Members from other “tents” always welcome….. Anybody know if they do ‘hoops at The Cluny?

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Aynsley’s traditional pre-Christmas spectacular @ The Cluny on December 5th, who else in the “Geordie” gang is gannin along?

Steph needs to know how many straws are needed for the bottle of Newcastle Broon….

Signature

Rank

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2012-12-11

PM

After looking forward to this even before tickets were released, I am absolutely GUTTED to say that due to personal circumstances I am not going to be able to attend (cue VERY sad face).  However I did get tickets for ten of my friends (four of whom have not seen Aynsley before) and another two may be buying tickets on the door.

Hope you have a FANTABULOUS time - of course you will - that goes without saying!!

Will be thinking of you, and hopefully will be able to attend the next gig locally.  ENJOY ALL!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Bluebell - 28 November 2014 09:56 PM

After looking forward to this even before tickets were released, I am absolutely GUTTED to say that due to personal circumstances I am not going to be able to attend (cue VERY sad face).  However I did get tickets for ten of my friends (four of whom have not seen Aynsley before) and another two may be buying tickets on the door.

Hope you have a FANTABULOUS time - of course you will - that goes without saying!!

Will be thinking of you, and hopefully will be able to attend the next gig locally.  ENJOY ALL!

Hi Bluebell - we haven’t heard from you for a while; don’t think I’ve seen you since Ryan McGarvey @ The Cluny which was too packed for me to get over to say “Hi”.
Sounds like you’ve done a good job in getting some new blood over to Aynsley’s gig; shame you can’t make it though. Any chance of zipping down the A19 in April for the Guisborough show next year?

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 123

Joined 2013-04-04

PM

Hey Mike,

I’m sure you’ll be heading to this show…  Be sure to remember Bluebell and me to Aynsley and Steph, give them my best regards and let them know that North Texas is a wonderful place to visit…
By the way, has Aynsley given any hints as to a new album any time soon?

Also, I owe you a note, so I will send soon…  Take care and enjoy the show!

John D.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

jdog5407 - 01 December 2014 04:33 PM

Hey Mike,

I’m sure you’ll be heading to this show…  Be sure to remember Bluebell and me to Aynsley and Steph, give them my best regards and let them know that North Texas is a wonderful place to visit…
By the way, has Aynsley given any hints as to a new album any time soon?

Also, I owe you a note, so I will send soon…  Take care and enjoy the show!

John D.

Hey John - another “long time, no post”; good to hear from you.
Miss Aynsley @ The Cluny - I’ve had my sleeping bag under the stage for the last month…..

Don’t know if Aynsley has any new recording of his own beyond the planning stage, but finishing touch are being done for the debut album by Till Bennewitz, a young German singer/songwriter who’s the first signee to Straight Talkin’ records, and our Capt’n is in the producers chair, and if he hasn’t added a few guitar licks it’ll only be because they locked him out the studio. This album is due in the Spring, so watch out for it.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Friday 5th Dec.

Once again, Aynsley’s annual festive run to Newcastle, and once again, Aynsley & the band shook The Cluny to its foundations.
The evening’s festivities started with a shuffling Blues instrumental intro that launched into the mighty Home, and let’s face it, on stage at The Cluny is like a 2nd home to these guys. This was followed by Broke, keeping the new material firmly in focus before an early and unexpected reappearance of a Lister classic (not saying which one, don’t want to spoil things for the rest of the tour, don’t cha know, don’t cha know...). Needless to say, that had the entire crowd boppin’ away like the floor was on fire until the first half closed with Aynsley & Andre duelling it to Sugar.

Set 2 again got underway with another Blues instrumental, which had a smack of Bluesbreakers about it if I’m not mistaken, and the whole band was smokin’; Boneto’d drum driving, Steve on bass sinewy and threading while Andre was filling and matching Aynsley lick-for-lick, and the way Aynsley was playing, lets just say it’ll not be too long before the Strat will need re-fretting. And don’t forget the vocals, absolutely spot-on, and that was from the other end of the room! The “treat” in this set was that Freddie King’s Tore Down has been moved from the encore into a main set slot and been pushed out for the band to have some fun with; enough Blues to make the east end of Newcastle seem more like the south side of Chicago; before winding the set up with a mighty take on Possession.. And still, they guys can’t pack up the tour bus without a Purple Rain.

Really good turn-out, despite being what we were nick-naming “Frantic Friday”, good to see loads of familiar faces as well as plenty of new ones, including a young guy for whom this was his first (ever?) gig - what a way to start…..No doubt he’ll be joining the regulars..

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Slightly off topic, but I’m allowed…..
Just been watching Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads on DVD, 1st time in ages. Anybody spot what’s now a very familiar Newcastle landmark to many of us from the opening credit sequence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtmwckP58s8 about 22secs in.

Lime St, before Aynsley was even a twinkle in his father’s eye…...

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 560

Joined 2011-06-06

PM

mcraggs27 - 23 October 2015 09:58 AM

Just been watching Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads on DVD, 1st time in ages. Anybody spot what’s now a very familiar Newcastle landmark to many of us from the opening credit sequence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtmwckP58s8 about 22secs in.

well Spotted! To the non northerners that’s the ‘cluny’ venue at 23 secs bottom left.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

tilerman - 24 October 2015 09:52 PM
mcraggs27 - 23 October 2015 09:58 AM

well Spotted! To the non northerners that’s the ‘cluny’ venue at 23 secs bottom left.

Maybe we should arrange to have a Band & Forum group photo taken there on Dec 5th….... Right bunch of Likely Lads & Lasses.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Dec 5th

Well, December’s here again and Aynsley & the band are hitting the road on the build-up to Christmas. My particular festive spirit kicked on Saturday up at The Cluny where we were treated not only to a great opening set by The Mentulls, but Aynsley & the band fired up and raring to go…

Big Sleep & Home started things off, and if there was a storm raging outside, it met its match with the typhoon inside the walls of The Cluny. Broke & Hyde bounced along nicely; things got really Bluesy with the shuffle that is Sugar and a chance to introduce a new set of lappers behind the keys , Andy (NOT Alan!) Price, and a smooth job he did… Steve Amadeo’s solo spot in What’s It All About was a joy, as ever and Boneto kept it all rock steady.

The second treat of the night was when Aynsley announced that in the New Year he was off into the studio and hopefully a new album for late summer/early spring, and to whet our appetites, launched into two brand new songs, inc Stay; very catchy and classic Lister. Then, another Blues treat in a rambling Tore Down before signing off with Early Morning Dew, Posession and the perennial encore Purple Rain.

Was the weather still wild outside? Don’t know, after that lot I’d doubt I’d have noticed even if there’d been a foot of snow when I left.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-04-12

PM

Yes folks; its getting round to that time of the year again. So who’s coming out to The Cluny on Sunday to see The Steve Amadeo Experience featuring Boneto Dryden and their “tame” guitarist? Some say that by day he works as a cat-whisperer and that he’s one of only 10 people in the country who knows what “B&Q” stands for. All we know is…its Aynsley Lister......

Signature